Author Topic: My First Day Open Carrying!  (Read 8145 times)

Offline daj86

My First Day Open Carrying!
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
Just wanted to report on my first day open carrying while going about my daily business.  I started by going to KFC (Plymouth Rd East of Middlebelt) for lunch which nothing happened a few double takes that is about it.

I went to the Livonia Wally World following that (I have a CPL so the Liquor Licence PFZ doesn't apply)  picked up some ammo, the guy behind the counter who knows me because I'm in there all the time jokingly said something to me about it, after that I did my other shopping was in there about a half hour again a few double takes no problems.

After that I called my buddy we went to Hines Drive to walk around and look at the water, struck up a conversation with some people who were fishing not firearm related but the fact that we were OC'ing didn't seem to bother them.

After that we went to a car show on Ford Rd and walked around for awhile, one guy approached me said he had a CPL and was curious about OC I answered some of his questions and explained Michigan's Preemption Law because he was worried about localities banning OC and such and also explaind the basics of OC WITH a CPL and how it exempts you from most PFZ's as long as you OC properley. I told him to check out MGO and MOC for more information and encouraged him to join us.

Overall A very good day, did not get stopped by the cops and there was not any "this guy has a gun paranoia" that I was worried about. 

Does anybody else have any OC experiences they would like to share?

Offline FatboyCykes

Offline TheElk

Re: My First Day Open Carrying!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 11:25:50 PM »
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/11799.html

Are you inferring that his post shouldn't be here and should be on OCDO instead?
I'm MarineSgt on OCDO and smalls on MGO. Someone who can't be trusted to walk free in public with a firearm shouldn't be walking around free.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 12:00:37 AM »
No he is just giving him a place to look at more OC experiences... as many of us post both places.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:00:14 PM by autosurgeon »
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 07:13:02 AM »
No he is just giving him a place to look at more OC experiences... as many of use post both places.

Offline firefighter7206

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 12:00:58 AM »
Today I went out and OC at Taco bell in Chesterfield tsp. and at the Babies R Us in Sterling Hgts. No issues. seems that most people think your a Cop or scared to ask or just don't care. I am obviously not a Cop as I was wearing my Fire Department shirt. I just think most people do not mind at all.
My views and opinions are just that MINE!  GOD BLESS AMERICA :) CARRY ON

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 01:16:10 AM »
firefighter7206,

Congrats on your first OC day :)  One quick wierd quirk that I always point out to firemen is to remember you cannot have a pistol on a fire scene.  Talking to an fire school instructor who is also a LEO he was confidant the vague law would not include vehicles.  he was unsure however wether that meant a "fire scene" as it was worded, or any emergency we may respond to, as 75% (statistics courtesy of the educational guess network of jason) of our calls aren't even fire related.  Just a wierd FYI that doesn't apply to anyone but a few of us, in case you were not aware.

-northofnowhere
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline smellslikemichigan

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 02:41:28 PM »
firefighter7206,

Congrats on your first OC day :)  One quick wierd quirk that I always point out to firemen is to remember you cannot have a pistol on a fire scene.  Talking to an fire school instructor who is also a LEO he was confidant the vague law would not include vehicles.  he was unsure however wether that meant a "fire scene" as it was worded, or any emergency we may respond to, as 75% (statistics courtesy of the educational guess network of jason) of our calls aren't even fire related.  Just a wierd FYI that doesn't apply to anyone but a few of us, in case you were not aware.

-northofnowhere
i'm not a fireman, but curious.  why can't you have a firearm at the scene of a fire?
"I like users who quote themselves in their signature lines." -smellslikemichigan

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 03:06:14 PM »
firefighter7206,

-northofnowhere

i'm not a fireman, but curious.  why can't you have a firearm at the scene of a fire?

Yes please CITE this law as I cannot find anything about it!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline TheElk

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 08:38:11 AM »
firefighter7206,

-northofnowhere

I was on the Allendale Fire Dept. and inquired about the matter of carrying a personal firearm. I was told it was dependent on the policy of the Chief. I'm not sure if this is fact or not because I did not pursue it any further. I would be interested in knowing the truth.
I'm MarineSgt on OCDO and smalls on MGO. Someone who can't be trusted to walk free in public with a firearm shouldn't be walking around free.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »
First day of fire school your instructor is supposed to tell you about the law.  It is state level, and kind of funny, as the second day we started learning about investigations and responses to terrorism.  Anyway, Ill find the law somewhere or shoot my instructor from school an email.  Give me a few.
-north

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 11:12:19 PM »
It took three emails to get the email address I needed lol.  Anyways, I could not find the MIOSHA or legal references myself and have asked my instructor to provide them.  I expect a reply eventually :)

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 01:22:25 PM »
I doubt you will get one as I don't think it's true.  I do believe a department can set policy on it's staff regarding weapons on scene, but I doubt they could control the contents of your personal vehicle.

What if you respond to a fire and you were on your way home from hunting.  Do you go home drop off your guns then go to the foundation saving???

Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 01:48:06 PM »
you are correct Venator, it was only in regard to Firefighter One and Two courses, and it is only a policy of the Michigan Firefighter Training Council that no one carries during classes themselves.