Author Topic: OC at high school athletic event  (Read 8048 times)

Offline Grizz

OC at high school athletic event
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:30:41 PM »
I've been reading up on others' experiences and have yet to come across this specific scenario.

First off a little background; I do have a CPL and very good understanding of the legality of OC in PFZs.
I have OCd several times and thus far have not had any issues.

I know many people have OCd in a k-12 school...  some with issues, some without.  Has anyone OCd at a high school athletic event?  I have a much younger sister who will be playing varsity bball so I will be attending many games over the next couple years.  My concern is that this seems like uncharted territory and that walking into a gym full of families would be begging for LEO interaction.

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
Re: OC at high school athletic event
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:19:57 PM »
It may not be begging for it, but you will get it. Schools are not preempted, so they can ban guns. You won't be breaking a law, but they can ask you to leave, if you refuse you can be charged with trespassing.

Offline smallthunder

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:12:11 PM »
I do not understand how a public facility that gets public tax dollar funding could make their one law/police on something that is legal in the state.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
Does anyone know if they have to have a written policy of no firearms allowed, or can any school official just ask you to leave under threat of tresspassing?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:25:03 PM »
I'd say the latter. The principal is like a little dictator of his school.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jon Mire

• First Name (Displayed): Joni M.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 05:46:22 PM »
guns and schools probably a bad idea. the whole no weapons or guns in school policy for the students probably goes for visitors too. i know we had a policy like that here at eastern high school and the LEO were on site to enforce it.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »
guns and schools probably a bad idea. the whole no weapons or guns in school policy for the students probably goes for visitors too. i know we had a policy like that here at eastern high school and the LEO were on site to enforce it.

There should be even stricter laws to keep guns out of schools. If Colorado had stricter laws, Columbine would have never happened. And those shootings at Virginia Tech wouldn't have either.

There should be laws against guns in Cracker Barrel also. That would have stopped the shooting at the one in Ohio last April.

I can't think of any place where guns belong Jon. I think you've stumbled onto something.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:26:34 PM by TheQ »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:26:03 PM »
There should be even stricter laws to keep guns out of schools. If Colorado had stricter laws, Columbine would have never happened. And those shootings at Virginia Tech wouldn't have either.

There should be laws against guns in Cracker Barrel also. That would have stopped the shooting at the one in Ohio last April.

I can't think of any place where guns belong Jon. I think you've stumbled onto something.

Pat earns an applause.  Fixed the color for you :)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:32:22 PM »
I knew I forgot something. You get an applaud for fixing my color.

ETA: Got to wait 6 hours for some reason. Must have given you a smite recently. I doubt that it was an applaud.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:35:04 PM by CV67PAT »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 02:21:07 AM »

Why? Please post specifics too as the following don't cut it! (I feel) I think) Facts and figures!!!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Grizz

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »
I'd say the latter. The principal is like a little dictator of his school.
That's what I figured.  This really is a gray area and I thought that it might open a door if a district had no written rule akin to corportate policy for a private propery.

Offline mpearce

• First Name (Displayed): Melissa
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 01:21:43 AM »

[/quote]

Pat, I disagree.  Tell me of one time that a school shooter followed the law about no guns on school property (federal law) or any other law for that matter.  Criminals don't follow the law, that's why I have a job.

However, some clear rules on who can and cannot carry and where on school property would be better.  You should look at Utah and their campus carry laws.  Haven't had a school shooting that I am aware of since the law was enacted.
Posts on this forum are not intended to be specific legal advice to any particular person, rather merely replies to hypothetical questions posed.

Melissa M. Pearce
Attorney at Law
mpearce@melissapearcelaw.com
(248) 467-1930

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 01:45:59 AM »
Pat was being sarcastic ;)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 08:57:45 AM »

Pat, I disagree.  Tell me of one time that a school shooter followed the law about no guns on school property (federal law) or any other law for that matter.  Criminals don't follow the law, that's why I have a job.

However, some clear rules on who can and cannot carry and where on school property would be better.  You should look at Utah and their campus carry laws.  Haven't had a school shooting that I am aware of since the law was enacted.
[/quote]

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding We have a winner!!!!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:30:48 AM by CV67PAT »

Offline METL

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 04:14:08 PM »

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding We have a winner!!!!

Dang.. I wish I had an extra smite for this abortion of a post...     Comon Pat.. clean it up!    Rookie.   :D