Author Topic: The disturbing the peace BS  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Airbumnh

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Nick
The disturbing the peace BS
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:07:15 PM »
Hey guys and gals I was wondering what your take is on the OC and disturbing the peace BS.  I have a buddy in form me that I shouldn't open carry because the cops can get me for disturbing the peace. This was after we were talking about me riding my motorcycle while OC. I of course told him that he was miss informed and showed him the laws and info that I have. But back to what my question is.... What is your take on this can they do this or would it be something they could do just to cause me a headache.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
Re: The disturbing the peace BS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »
I can only speak to the West Side of MI, but I think your friend is addled.

1) I have never been approached by a LEO because of OC.
2) I have had many LEO encounters while OCing, but for other reasons, e.g. witnessing traffic accidents, dealing with neighbor problems. All encounters have been very positive.
3) Many here have 'paved the way' to normalize the armed, law abiding citizen.

Now, you may want to consider personal appearance as a 'trigger' for unfavorable LEO interactions. If you look nonthreatening, they'll pass you by. Put on a hoodie, let your pants ride at your knees, or have a swastika carved in your forehead, you may have a different experience.

I attribute my favorable experience to gray hair, professional style, and the fact that I look like a LEO, as well as the groundwork laid by those before me.

While OC is about a tactical choice, but it is also seen as a political statement; you may be approached by citizens and LEOs with differing opinions on the 2nd Amendment. You always want to be winsome; never confrontational. Be prepared by studying interactions reported on this and other forums (Open Carry Experiences).

If you do not have your CPL, OC can be problematic, with a patchwork of laws designed to trap the unwary. Study them thoroughly. If you have a CPL, its a bit easier, but still, know the laws. Its easy to get jammed up.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »
applause for ShadowBear
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Airbumnh

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Nick
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 11:31:27 PM »
I 100% agree it is how you present yourself and know as much knowledge as you can and know were to find it. And I ride a old 750 Honda so I'm no 1% lol.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:59:12 AM »
I 100% agree it is how you present yourself and know as much knowledge as you can and know were to find it. And I ride a old 750 Honda so I'm no 1% lol.

You are off to a good start!

If you're ever in the Grand rapids area, let me know, and we can meet up.

Watch for OC get togethers and seminars; always a good time, and helps to build up confidence in OC.

There's an OC picnic coming up later this month mid-state; looks to be well attended by many OC advocates. Bring your addled friend!
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.