Author Topic: Open Carry encounter in an unemployment office  (Read 22673 times)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Open Carry encounter in an unemployment office
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:01:15 PM »
I open carry practically all the time. I do it primarily for convenience. I rarely get comments. But whenever I do it is generally questions about the lawfullness from people interested in the practice.

I don't post my experiences because I just don't want to leave a trail of places I frequent. And it would be pretty boring to read about where I go.

However, yesterday I had my first real interaction with some "authority figures" that did not like it that I was carrying a gun on their turf. Here is the story. This is not verbatum. I don't carry a recorder.

As some know I generally mexican carry a stainless1911 (not to be confused with brainless1911). However, I keep a belt slide holster in my vehicles for when I open carry in accordance with the required statutes for OC in PFZs.

Yesterday I went to the Macomb Community Services complex behind the Macomb County Sheriff's Department. Seeing school buses parked in the back of the complex parking lot, I donned my holster in order to OC properly in case I was on some sort of school property. I entered the building and made my way to the area of the Unemployment Insurance Agency office. I approached the security guard (Guard 1) seated at a desk in the waiting area and this is how things went...

CV67PAT: Can you tell me where the unemployment office is?
GUARD 1: Right behind you by that guard (GUARD 2) over there. Go see her and she will show you.
CV67PAT: Thank you.

I turn and walk over to GUARD 2. I do this in front of about 100 people that are waiting for assistance with the unemployment office and the DHS office. I observe the requisite sign on the door leading to the DHS offices stating that firearms are not allowed past that door.

CV67PAT: Where is the unemployment office?
Guard 2: Through that door (not the DHS door) on the left.
CV67PAT: Thank you.

I enter the door to the unemployment office and see a number ticket dispenser and a sign with instructions to take a number and have a seat in the lobby. I follow the instructions and go back out to the lobby and have a seat. Within moments GUARD 1 comes over to me to.

GUARD 1: Who are you with?
CV67PAT: I'm not with anyone. I'm here by myself.
GUARD 1: I mean who do you work for.
CV67PAT: I don't work for anyone. That's why I am here at the unemployment office.
GUARD 1: Do you work for the police?
CV67PAT: I don't work for anyone. I am unemployed.
GUARD 1: Then you are just a private citizen?
CV67PAT: Yes.
GUARD 1: Then you aren't allowed to have a firearm in a state office.
CV67PAT: Yes I can.
GUARD 1: No you can't.
CV67PAT: Yes I can. I am fully cognizant of the firearm laws in the State of Michigan. I am here for a lawful purpose. And I am conducting myself lawfully.
Guard 1: You will have to take you gun outside.
CV67PAT: I will not.

GUARD 1 goes back to his desk. A few moments latter GUARD 2 approaches me and gives me the finger wag to come to her. I give her the finger wave back for her to come to me. She comes over and asks me to go with her. I follow towards the exit. I stop about 30 feet from the door.

CV67PAT: I'm not leaving the building. You can't make me leave either.
GUARD 2: You are going to have to take your gun outside and come back in. You are scaring the people. You can't have a gun in here because DHS has their office here.
CV67PAT: I am not here for DHS. I am here for the unemployment office.
GUARD 2: DHS and unemployment are affiliates of each other. So you can't have a gun in here.
CV67PAT: DHS is not affiliated in any way with UIA. DHS is the Department of Human Services. It is a separate from UIA which is an agency of the Department of Economic Growth. If you think I am doing something unlawful, call the police.
GUARD 2: You are scarring the clerks.
CV67PAT: That is not my problem. I have not seen anyone get up and run out in fear. I am here for a lawful purpose and I am conducting myself lawfully. If you think that I am breaking the law, call the police.
Guard 2: You think you're the first person to carry a gun in here? Every one else doesn't have a problem taking it outside. Why do you?
CV67PAT: Because I am conducting myself lawfully. You have no authority over me. I do not have to comply with your unlawful commands. Again, I am conducting myself lawfully. Call the police if you have a problem with what I am doing. I am not leaving the building either.

I returned to my seat in the lobby. Now there is some interest from those around me. One guy said he didn't even know I had a gun until the guards started making a scene. Meanwhile the two guards are communicating with each other via walkie talkies at a distance of about 50 feet from each other. It's as if they were doing some sort of surveillance of me. LMFAO!!! About 10 minutes passes and I am approached by a woman...

UIA MANAGER: You can't have that gun in here. We will not serve you unless you take your gun outside.
CV67PAT: I will not take my gun outside. I will not leave the building. Call the police if you think I am doing something wrong.
UIA MANAGER: You will not be served, unless you take your gun outside.
CV67PAT: I will not take my gun outside. I will not leave the building before I have completed the business that I cam here for. If you have a problem call the police. Otherwise, I will be sitting right here awaiting my turn.

The UIA MANAGER walks away. Clearly thinking she has gotten the upper hand. I remain in my seat and watch the two guards play surveillance. I continue to talk with a couple of the other people about Michigan firearm laws and the Birmingham case. At this point I am about 50th in queue for service. And at the rate they are going, I have about a 4 hour wait ahead of me. After about 15 minutes I am getting tired of waiting and am contemplating just leaving for the day. The UIA MANAGER again approaches. This time she has a cell phone in her hand...

UIA MANAGER: Will you talk to the person on the phone please?
CV67PAT: Certainly.

The UIA MANAGER hands me the cell phone. I am expecting to hear a police officer on the other end. I am surprised when the other party introduces herself as the state's lead UIA customer service supervisor. The UIA MANAGER is standing over me with a smug look.

CV67PAT: Hello.
SUPERVISOR: (Introduces herself and states her title.) I understand that you are there with a firearm. You certainly understand that there is some concern by the staff.
CV67PAT: I can appreciate that. But at the same time, they have to understand that I am not doing anything unlawful. They however  have stated that they will refuse me service. You obviously know that once that happens I will seek remedies.
SUPERVISOR: I understand that completely. We don't want that to happen. What is it that you are in the office for?

I tell the SUPERVISOR what it is that I am there for. The SUPERVISOR has another party join us in a conference call. We go over my situation and it is resolved. During the discussion, I can see a lot of people looking at me getting special treatment. Of course I am speaking just loud enough so as to not create a scene. Yet everyone can hear me getting special treatment.

SUPERVISOR: Is there anything else I can help you with?
CV67PAT: No that takes care of everything. I appreciate you assistance in resolving my problems I was having. Thank you very much.
SUPERVISOR: Would you let me talk to UIA MANAGER please?
CV67PAT: Certainly. She is right here.

I hand the phone to the UIA MANAGER. She now has a totally different look on her face. So do the 50 people in queue ahead of me.

CV67PAT: (TO UIA MANAGER as I hand her the phone) Thank you for your assistance. Have a nice day.

I stand up from my seat and depart the building.

Conclusion: If you want prompt service ahead of everyone else in line at the Unemployment Insurance Agency, just open carry. It worked for me. However, YMMV   8)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:18:43 PM by CV67PAT »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
Re: Open Carry encounter in an unemployment office
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:32:42 AM »
Outstanding!
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:56:56 AM »
A few moments latter GUARD 2 approaches me and gives me the finger wag to come to her. I give her the finger wave back for her to come to me.
LMAO.  +1 karma for you.  I'll come back in six hours and give you another one for the rest of your story.  It was great!

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 08:08:19 AM »
Really great story! 

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »
That is the greatest OC story I have ever heard.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 07:32:33 PM »
 ;D + 1 Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline METL

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »
Ugh...   I am so disgusted with myself...    I had to give Pat a cheer for that one...     LMAO!!!!   

Nice work...  I especially like the "if you think I am breaking any laws call the police" line....    LoL!   

LIKE A BOSS!!!!

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »
I got a laugh out of this part of the conversation:

CV67PAT: I don't work for anyone. That's why I am here at the unemployment office.

Sounds like you were working with some real winners Pat, lol.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »
I got a laugh out of this part of the conversation:

Sounds like you were working with some real winners Pat, lol.

Maybe Pat could get this guard's job.  He sounds more than qualified for it....
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
lol, then he wouldnt have to visit the unemployment office as the "unemployed" anymore, sounds like they already got off to a good start.  :P

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 01:36:41 AM »
lol, then he wouldnt have to visit the unemployment office as the "unemployed" anymore, sounds like they already got off to a good start.  :P

I wouldn't have time to troll either.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »
Troll here or the unemployment office?  :P

Offline AAMitch

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 08:46:43 PM »
Very Good!

Offline RichardFudnavis

• First Name (Displayed): Richard
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 06:52:06 AM »
There are currently no extended benefits in place for 2013. Workers who are laid-off starting in July 2012 are only eligible for a maximum of 26 weeks of state benefits, depending on location, unless Congress passes new legislation to extend unemployment.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 09:22:33 AM »
There are currently no extended benefits in place for 2013. Workers who are laid-off starting in July 2012 are only eligible for a maximum of 26 weeks of state benefits, depending on location, unless Congress passes new legislation to extend unemployment.

I hate to say it, but 2 years of unemployment sounds more like welfare to me :(

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 09:38:01 AM »
I hate to say it, but 2 years of unemployment sounds more like welfare to me :(

That's easy for someone bellied up to the government trough to say.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 09:44:24 AM »
That's easy for someone bellied up to the government trough to say.

Indeed. Oink oink.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »
And for $300 a week, I'd never get a job.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 09:58:43 AM »
And for $300 a week, I'd never get a job.

If only $300 meant what it used to mean. That's a cap that hasn't been raised in quite a while. Prior to 1971, $300 could buy 8 ounces of gold. Yesterday I just bought an ounce for $1693 :(

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 10:03:14 AM »
If only $300 meant what it used to mean. That's a cap that hasn't been raised in quite a while. Prior to 1971, $300 could buy 8 ounces of gold. Yesterday I just bought an ounce for $1693 :(

$300 doesn't buy as much lead as it used to either. And lead is a much more precious metal than gold. Gold is a wast of money. Lead will be the currency of the future.