Author Topic: Virginia non-resident permit  (Read 5029 times)

doesch

Virginia non-resident permit
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:40:02 AM »
I was curious if anyone on here had any experience or thoughts on the VA non resident carry permits. I'm looking at this as an alternative to the MI CPL due to it's lower total price, more training options, state reciprocity agreements, and my issues with my state trying to charge me and make me jump through hoops in order to carry my gun..

I disagree with the concept of being charged for a RIGHT and will continue to work to oppose the ridiculous fees and guns laws that the state of MI has, but I would like the option of carrying concealed.

I'm not sure if this issue already has a post if it does please let me know.

Thanks

"Our rights were paid for in blood, we should not have to pay to use them"

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Virginia non-resident permit
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »
No idea on VA permits, but I believe, as a Mi. resident to carry concealed you must have a Mi permit.

Along those sames lines I have a question too. As a Mi. resident can any Valid CWP/CPL work when purchasing a pistol? or must you use a Mi. permit?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Virginia non-resident permit
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 01:12:06 PM »
Michigan doesn't recognize non-resident permits (for purposes on concealment). Period, end of story.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:15:34 PM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
Re: Re: Virginia non-resident permit
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:55:54 PM »
No idea on VA permits, but I believe, as a Mi. resident to carry concealed you must have a Mi permit.

Along those sames lines I have a question too. As a Mi. resident can any Valid CWP/CPL work when purchasing a pistol? or must you use a Mi. permit?

Must use a MI CPL. The exception to the License to Purchase, Carry, Possess, or Transport is "An individual who is licensed under section 5 b (CPL)."

See

MCL 28.422a
 (1) An individual who is licensed under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or who is a federally licensed firearms dealer is not required to obtain a license under section 2 to purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:58:26 PM by drtodd »
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 02:12:48 PM »
I was pretty sure. Thanks

doesch

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 04:06:19 PM »
Thanks all, I was not sure.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:08:15 PM »
Post your monthly budget and I bet we can readjust your priorities to have a CPL for you in 3 months.

Offline Michhunter

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:26:43 PM »
What dose it cost for a cpl? I have been trying to figure out a way to get mine. But it is has been tight as far as extra funds go around our house I dont know if I could do it. I am a stay at home stepdad with three kids so I would cost me money to work in child care. Or I would work for like $50 a week and no family time it is hard. I would love to be able to carry all the time to protect my family.

doesch

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 08:03:15 PM »
Super Trucker, thank-you for the offer; I was looking at this option, more out of principal than any other reason. I've written my state rep. & state senator on several occasions about the issues I see with the law. My state rep. said that he sided with the issue of "safety" and that the costs are appropriate; rather than the side of liberty and our rights to carry in any manor or OC in our vehicles without a CPL. I was hoping this would have been a viable option so that I could have shown respect for the law while saying you're not getting my money for a right, unfortunately that's not the case.

Thank-you again for your thoughts, I guess I will have to go through their nonsense for a right.

"Our rights were paid for in blood, we should not have to pay to use them"