Author Topic: Green Lake Twp Memorial Park  (Read 7303 times)

Offline erosema

Green Lake Twp Memorial Park
« on: August 06, 2012, 10:01:30 PM »
OC'd today at Green Lake Twp Memorial Park in Interlochen.  My wife, two daughters and I went as spectators to a softball game.  The adults that I came into contact with paid no attention to the Sig P226 on my side.  I did however have a few children ask if the firearm was real.  I responded yes.  One of my friends children, about 8 years old asked me "why do you have a gun".  I responded "for personal protection and to deter crime".  I thought about what I said afterwords and realized that the child probably did not understand what I said very well.  What is the best thing to say that a child would understand?  One thing I noticed more so today than other days at this park was that parents were keeping a VERY close eye on there children.  I believe parents, more and more are realizing that anything can happen anywhere and you have to be alert.

Offline erosema

Re: Green Lake Twp Memorial Park
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
A question for the members.

From http://www.greenlaketownship.org/html/parks.html

Green Lake Township Memorial Park, located off Karlin Road, is a popular location for both local residents and seasonal visitors. Amenities at the park include ball fields, a playground, and a picnic area that features a pavilion and grills. To rent the pavilion, call the township offices at (231) 276-9329. A fee and deposit are required to reserve the pavilion.

The Township Park also is home to the Green Lake Airport, which serves Interlochen and Grand Traverse County. The airport has more than one runway, including a 2,800-foot turf runway. The facility is at an elevation of 866 feet, and is located three miles from the village of Interlochen. For more information on the airport, call Jim Anderson at (231) 947-2406.

Airport website http://www.greenlaketownship.org/html/airport.html
Airport / Park aerial photohttp://www.greenlaketownship.org/Ground-Facilities6.jpg

So in my opinion the park is a park right.  The attached grass strip airport is off limits.  Is there a buffer zone?  Would OC be legal on the acctual airport property being that there are no commercial flights or a terminal building?  Did I break the law?

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
Re: Re: Green Lake Twp Memorial Park
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:19:53 PM »
A question for the members.

From http://www.greenlaketownship.org/html/parks.html

Green Lake Township Memorial Park, located off Karlin Road, is a popular location for both local residents and seasonal visitors. Amenities at the park include ball fields, a playground, and a picnic area that features a pavilion and grills. To rent the pavilion, call the township offices at (231) 276-9329. A fee and deposit are required to reserve the pavilion.

The Township Park also is home to the Green Lake Airport, which serves Interlochen and Grand Traverse County. The airport has more than one runway, including a 2,800-foot turf runway. The facility is at an elevation of 866 feet, and is located three miles from the village of Interlochen. For more information on the airport, call Jim Anderson at (231) 947-2406.

Airport website http://www.greenlaketownship.org/html/airport.html
Airport / Park aerial photohttp://www.greenlaketownship.org/Ground-Facilities6.jpg

So in my opinion the park is a park right.  The attached grass strip airport is off limits.  Is there a buffer zone?  Would OC be legal on the acctual airport property being that there are no commercial flights or a terminal building?  Did I break the law?

What law would you have broken? The fact that it is county owned would lead me to think that, unless you were in the secure area of the airport...the area beyond passenger screening, no law was broken nor could they ban your firearm. I've OCd at Gerald R. Ford airport terminal with no problems. But then again, I am not an attorney.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Green Lake Twp Memorial Park
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:49:43 PM »
I've OC'd at the non-secure area of DTW.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:19:13 AM »
If it is not an FAA controlled airport with security then you can OC anywhere. I checked into this as I participated in Lest We Forget and they had guns all over the SW Regional Airport. however that is a Mic key visual flight plan airport now as their is no commercial traffic and no controllers.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Airbumnh

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Nick
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 02:15:22 AM »
I've read into this one I work at an airport and by what I under stand the average joe can OC or CC at about 95% of the airports in the US. Only "commercial airports" and of course these airports will have a "sterile area" were you cant take any weapon into. the definition of a "commercial airport" per mich is an airport that has regular scheduled commercial flights to and from other destinations. If you look at 259.80f of Michigan firearms laws it will give you more info on it.

Offline Nav0341

• First Name (Displayed): Jeff
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »
One of my friends children, about 8 years old asked me "why do you have a gun".  I responded "for personal protection and to deter crime".  I thought about what I said afterwords and realized that the child probably did not understand what I said very well.  What is the best thing to say that a child would understand?

My children are 3, 7, & 8. If you ask them why their dad carries a gun they will say in their own words....and I quote:

My 8yr old daughter-
Me: "Why does your Daddy carry a gun?"
Daughter: "To keep us and other people by us safe."
Me: "Keep you safe from what?"
Daughter: "Anyone that might do something bad."

My 7yr old son-
Me: "Why does your Daddy carry a gun?"
Son: "For safety."
Me: "For safety?"
Son: "Yeah Dad, in case a stranger tries to hurt someone or us."

You asked what is the best thing to say to a child that they will understand. The answer is: the truth. An 8 year old might know understand what the word "deter" means, but I think they would understand what you meant by the context of your statement. I get asked by children a lot 'are you a policeman?" and "why do you carry a gun?" The answer I give is very similar to yours. I carry this for my own protection, as well as the protection of others who are around me. Sometimes people think that statements like those might end up scaring kids. In my experience, they don't. Short honest answers are probably best, as you don't always know what the child's parents may think.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:46:48 PM »
sig p226 EXCELLENT choice of weapon by the way  :)
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog