Author Topic: Benefits of Open Carry  (Read 4940 times)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Benefits of Open Carry
« on: July 23, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
I am beginning to discover a lot of new benefits from open carrying.

A few weeks ago while having lunch at a family diner, I was approached by a fellow interested in leanering about OC. He sat with me for about 15 minutes as I discussed the practice with him. Afterwards when I went to pay my bill. I was informed that he had paid for my lunch. Sweet.

Then there was my recent encounter in the unemployment office where I got special serve ahead of about 50 other people waiting to be served.

Well it happened again Friday night when my GF and I were open carrying on the riverfront while attending the WCSX/General Motors Riverfront concert featuring Starship. (Great concert, by the way.)

We rode downtown on the bike, OC'g of course. Parked the bike and started walking around. I had done this last year and was asked to CC by DPD because the Wintnter Garden area of the riverfront was private property and the owner did not allow OC. I prepared my GF to expect the possibility of the same again this year. To my surprise, this was not the case. In fact we experienced the complete opposite. We got tons of smiles and nods from people as we walked the riverfront. The police were oblivious at this point.

We picked a spot to sit for a while on the riverfront area and then went up to the street level to watch the concert. The warm-up band was finishing and while the stagehands were resetting the stage we were approached by a fellow. There was no mistaking it. He singled us out because of our firearms.

He began the discussion with small talk about the bands scheduled for this summer's events and our musical interests. We chatted for about 3-5 minutes. He told us that he worked for the sponsor and that he was a part of the committee that arranged for the entertainment. A very personable guy. Then he reached into his pocket and gave us 2 VIP wristbands. He said that we were welcome to enjoy the concert as guests in the VIP seating area.  We expressed our appreciation and went in.

Passing through the gauntlet of police (2 RenCen private polic, 2 DPD, and 4 WaCO deputies) I was expecting the worst. But to my surprise, upon observing our firearms, they all smiled, nodded, and waved us through. I was quite shocked, to tell you the truth. Even when we went out and back in, to go inside the RenCen for restrooms, we received the same pleasant greetings and acknowledgements. In fact, we were met with the same reaction by the RenCen private police while inside as we asked for directions.

Just to be certain that there is no assumption that our firearms weren't noticed, I will say that my GF carries her revolver in the 2:30 o'clock position and I carry my stainless1911 (not to be confused with brainless1911) at the 3 o'clock position.

I am really starting to enjoy the extra perks that OC has to offer.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Benefits of Open Carry
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:22:01 AM »
This stainless 1911?

I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Benefits of Open Carry
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:40:43 AM »
This stainless 1911?

One in the same.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:44:15 AM »
This stainless 1911?

One in the same.

OMG, is that thing COCKED?!? ;D ;D ;D
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
This stainless 1911?

One in the same.

OMG, is that thing COCKED?!? ;D ;D ;D

Cocked, locked, and ready to rock.
I guess I look like a cop. That's probably why I've never had any problems.