Author Topic: First Time Open Carry  (Read 9939 times)

Offline Zeteo

• First Name (Displayed): Al
First Time Open Carry
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »
I've been a member of this forum for several months, and a MOC member for almost the same time. I've read many, many posts here, studied the laws about Open Carry for the last 6 month, and today I received my Blackhawk Serpa OWB holster in the mail.

So, this evening, I FINALLY open carried for the First Time to the local Taco Bell (Lincoln Park on Dix near Southfield) with absolutely no issues, no stares, nothing out of the ordinary. And that's just as it should be. Carry on.

;D

No law ever prevented a crime.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: First Time Open Carry
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:28:52 PM »
Oh no, a SERPA *hides*
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »
Huh?

Offline Zeteo

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:33:44 PM »
Oh no, a SERPA *hides*

I have a CPL, but I have to ask, what does it hide?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 08:38:32 PM »

I have a CPL, but I have to ask, what does it hide?

I was hiding.  SERPAs have a bad rep from some people.  I personally don't care what you carry in, so long as you do it safely.  Some people will lecture you all day long about why they think a SERPA is bad.

Some people will say the design is bad and is prone to ND.

Whatever.

I carry in a Safariland ALS.  Carry how you please.

Offline Zeteo

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 08:47:03 PM »
OK - got it. Well, I'm not planning on rolling around in the snow anytime soon. I'll check out the Safariland. I already have several IWB holsters, so, what's another OWB to add to the collection anyway?    :D

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 08:49:26 PM »
OK - got it. Well, I'm not planning on rolling around in the snow anytime soon. I'll check out the Safariland. I already have several IWB holsters, so, what's another OWB to add to the collection anyway?    :D

I don't plan on rolling in the snow either, until someone jumps me and knocks me over and we wrestle in the snow.

FWIW, the Safariland has the same problem, but it's harder to jam up than the SERPA.

Offline Zeteo

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »

I don't plan on rolling in the snow either, until someone jumps me and knocks me over and we wrestle in the snow.

FWIW, the Safariland has the same problem, but it's harder to jam up than the SERPA.

I said I don't plan on it anytime soon. I think I have a few months to check our other options before the first flake hits the ground...

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »

I said I don't plan on it anytime soon. I think I have a few months to check our other options before the first flake hits the ground...

Grins.  True that.  Dirt can jam it up too.

Welcome to Open Carry!

Offline Zeteo

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 09:08:24 PM »

Grins.  True that.  Dirt can jam it up too.

Welcome to Open Carry!

I don't play in the dirt.... lol. Thanks Q. I am checking out the Safariland as well as the Bianchi.

8)

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 09:11:14 PM »
I have a SERPA also.  One thing I like about the ALS is the stability of the gun in it compared to the SERPA.  I don't know about you, but mine wabbles quite a bit in my SERPA.  With the ALS....absolutely no wiggle.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »
I didn't understand the "hides" part. Now I get it.

Btw, what Serpa do you have, Q?  The carbon fiber CQC one or the cheaper grey plastic one? 

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 10:52:37 PM »
I have a SERPA also.  One thing I like about the ALS is the stability of the gun in it compared to the SERPA. I don't know about you, but mine wabbles quite a bit in my SERPA.  With the ALS....absolutely no wiggle.

I think that is because the Safariland ALS has an screw adjustment inside the muzzle end of the holster and I do not recall one on the serpa.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
First Time Open Carry
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 07:42:30 AM »
I didn't understand the "hides" part. Now I get it.

Btw, what Serpa do you have, Q?  The carbon fiber CQC one or the cheaper grey plastic one?

Carbon fiber.

Offline duff1

• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 10:10:55 AM »
Oh no, a SERPA *hides*
     I have 2 Serpa holsters and love them

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 10:44:50 AM »
Oh no, a SERPA *hides*
     I have 2 Serpa holsters and love them

And you will, until your gun is jammed in it and you can't draw. Then your "expensive rock" will be secured to your waist.

Also, plastic holsters destroy the finish rapidly.

I have one for an HK USP. I rarely use it. Mainly because I don't want to destroy the protective finish.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Zeteo

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 08:51:48 AM »

I have one for an HK USP. I rarely use it. Mainly because I don't want to destroy the protective finish.

So what holster do you use CV?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
First Time Open Carry
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 09:45:55 AM »

That depends on whether or not he's at an MOC meeting ;)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 10:40:39 AM »

Most of my holsters are quick slide leather holsters. Very minimalist type of holster. Galco, Bianchi, and Dan Hume all offer this type. I prefer this type of holster for ease of use and because it holds my pistol close to my body.

As The Q said, at MOC events, I will use a leather holster with a thumb break. I do this to demonstrate retention. I don't want to promote and advocate the use of a retention holster, while at these events, and then not be utilizing one.

Often times I also carry my stainless1911 (not to be confused with brainless1911) Mexican style. I DO NOT carry my Glock, or any other double action type gun, like this.

I thought the Serpa was the greatest thing until I saw the effects on the finish. I recently bought an HK USP that had 1200 rounds fired. And it was obviously very slightly fired. But because the original owner had holstered and unholstered it in a Serpa, there was a small wear mark to bare metal on the slide. And HK has one of the most durable finishes. Capable of withstanding saltwater baths, burying in ground, freezing in solid water, etc.

A friend with an XD has almost no finish left on it from less than a year of everyday carry in a plastic holster. The metal is shiny to the point of almost appearing to be polished stainless.

Leather will also cause wear marks. But I have not seen the same degree of finish degradation with any leather holster over extremely long periods as I have seen with the use of a plastic holster over extremely short periods.

There is also a lot of documented (youtube and forum discussion) experiences of the Serpa locking up with a small amount of snow or dirt in the lock mechanism. Many instructors will not allow them in their training courses.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update