Author Topic: Open carry motorcycle ride  (Read 19481 times)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Open carry motorcycle ride
« on: May 03, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »
Originally posted by EM87 on OCDO

There hasn't been much organization for this event and the original thread wasn't very on topic when it came to planning, so here is a fresh thread that can be used to plan this event.

First of all, we need to know who is free to attend this event on Saturday, June 5.

After we have a list of people who want to attend, we can map out a route. If people from both sides of the state want to attend, we can plan for two rides (an east side ride and a west side ride) which will meet in the middle at a time to be determined.

It should be noted that anyone with a motorcycle is invited to attend this ride, but those who will be OCing must have a CPL due to the fact that we will be stopping at gas stations to refuel, and gas stations usually sell alcohol. (And also because OC on a vehicle is still a gray area of the law.)

Who is interested?

Update!

Mastiff and I have determined a route.

As the majority of the interest is on the west side and I would like to start small with this first OC ride we will be doing a loop ride in west Michigan.

We will meet at the Meijer Gas Station off the Us 131 / M89 interchange in Plainwell/Otsego.

Meet time is 10:00 AM on June 5th

The ride is 80 miles of 2 lane road and will include Gull Lake, Hastings, Gun Lake, and Yankee Springs State Recreation Area. We will be stopping for lunch at some point on the route.

Note if the group decides they want to go further that is not a problem but we will decide that the day of the event at the pre-ride meeting.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:49:17 PM by autosurgeon »
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
Re: Open carry motorcycle ride
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
I will be attending this likely my brother as well.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline RandyK

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:05:09 PM »
I am definitely in. I have CBR not the best distance bike but I have toughed out a few long rides. Im in Warren so anyone on the east side let me know if you want to meet up. 

Hey auto, is there a way to post this in the South East Region also?

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:09:18 PM »
A gray area is just an area not tried. OCing on a bikecyle with a cpl on and in is not the same thing. Covered and uncovered is not the same thing. Open and Closed is not the same thing. Fight for the rights or not. Carry on.  Maybe i read it wrong but gas stations that sell alcohol is ok if it is not the main source of income.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:11:08 PM »
A gray area is just an area not tried. OCing on a bikecyle with a cpl on and in is not the same thing. Covered and uncovered is not the same thing. Open and Closed is not the same thing. Fight for the rights or not. Carry on.  Maybe i read it wrong but gas stations that sell alcohol is ok if it is not the main source of income.

Wrong! If you do not have a CPL you cannot even be on the property of the business with the liqueur license! You are confusing the CPL regs with the OC restrictions.

Offline RandyK

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 11:30:33 PM »
Isn't this thread to talk about and to plan events?

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:37:43 PM »
Yes I am going to remove the OT posts after the OP gets a day to read my reply.

Offline SpringerXDacp

• AmmoDump
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 03:28:18 PM »
Posted on Calendar of Events.  Let me know when there's more info to add.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »
Posted on Calendar of Events.  Let me know when there's more info to add.
Will do!

Offline mastiff

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 10:09:57 PM »
The mastiff's from Battle creek mi. will try and attend the ride, hope a goldwing won't slow you hot rods down to much  :'(
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:13:15 PM by mastiff »

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 10:16:01 PM »
The mastiff's from Battle creek mi. will try and attend the ride, hope a goldwing won't slow you hot rods down to much  :'(

I would bet you could outrun my little Ascot 500  ;D

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 10:58:55 PM »
Just so y'all know, I am the brother autosurgeon refers to in this thread.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline CoonDog

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 03:07:14 PM »
Welcome aboard mosnar87!
The OC movement helps gain acceptance for all forms of carry.

Offline EM87

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 10:30:02 AM »
I regret to inform everyone reading this that I will no longer be able to attend this ride.  I had a mishap while riding two days ago which involved me coming around a corner and finding an SUV stopped in the road, which caused me to go down.  My motorcycle is unridable, to say the least.  There are further details, but they're not of importance.  What is important is that I walked away with only minor road rash and some bruising, thanks in part to the gear I was wearing.

Live to ride, ride to live!

Carry on.
"You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87 (from opencarry.org)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »
I regret to inform everyone reading this that I will no longer be able to attend this ride.  I had a mishap while riding two days ago which involved me coming around a corner and finding an SUV stopped in the road, which caused me to go down.  My motorcycle is unridable, to say the least.  There are further details, but they're not of importance.  What is important is that I walked away with only minor road rash and some bruising, thanks in part to the gear I was wearing.

Live to ride, ride to live!

Carry on.

I will be taking charge of this event on EM87's request.

So lets get this worked out!

Where do we want to start the ride? As of now this will be originating somewhere on the SW side and going to some destination and back.

No more than 250 miles round trip.

Good starting points would be Kalamazoo or Battle Creek once we have the starting point and mid point we can arrange the rest  such as a good route!

If someone else wants to arrange a ride from the east side to our mid point (possibly Jackson? at Cabmans Grandmas place?) that would be fine however I am not going to try and do both.

Lets throw out some ideas folks!!

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 09:28:29 PM »
edit out
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:48:34 PM by autosurgeon »

Offline cabman1

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 09:35:19 PM »
If all of you bikers and gun toters wanna have a bbq my mom has a huge yard and said I was more then free to use it for an open carry bbq its an easy on and off i94??????
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc or the law.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 09:49:21 PM »
If all of you bikers and gun toters wanna have a bbq my mom has a huge yard and said I was more then free to use it for an open carry bbq its an easy on and off i94??????

I hate running the superslab... it really is no fun on a bike.

BUT!! I did some more digging and if we drop south there is a nice 2 lane rout that will take us to Jackson. More details after the weekend.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:56:30 PM by autosurgeon »

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
Update!

Mastiff and I have determined a route.

As the majority of the interest is on the west side and I would like to start small with this first OC ride we will be doing a loop ride in west Michigan.

We will meet at the Meijer Gas Station off the Us 131 / M89 interchange in Plainwell/Otsego.

Meet time is 10:00 AM on June 5th

The ride is 80 miles of 2 lane road and will include Gull Lake, Hastings, Gun Lake, and Yankee Springs State Recreation Area. We will be stopping for lunch at some point on the route.

Note if the group decides they want to go further that is not a problem but we will decide that the day of the event at the pre-ride meeting.

Offline RandyK

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 11:16:06 PM »
Alright talked to crosspistols about the eastside guys meeting up with westside guys. If we do it im going to have to leave Warren very early. Ill probably take I696 to I275 to I94. Meet up with crosspistols near Ann Arbor he will be taking US23 south from Flint area. Then we would take I94 to M89 and hook up with those guys at US131. Maybe if we get there early enough hook up with mastiff near Battle Creek.

If anybody else from the eastside wants to meet up get ahold of me. If we get more eastside people maybe we can have eastside run and just compare pictures.

Unless the westside guys want to make it a little easier on us and revise their route to start in Jackson. Maybe cabman's pawn shop. If not no big deal. It looks like you guys have a nice route planned out.