Author Topic: Found this kind of Amusing.  (Read 7747 times)

Offline Michhunter

Found this kind of Amusing.
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:03:13 AM »
By DUSTIN BLITCHOK
Of The Oakland Press

A Sylvan Lake police officer accidentally shot himself in the hand last month and struck another officer’s hip when his gun went off in the police department’s office in the city’s Department of Public Works garage.

Officer Michael Mondeau was preparing for duty at about 3 p.m. June 25 when his Glock 23 discharged, according to a report obtained using the Freedom of Information Act.

The .40 caliber bullet went through Mondeau’s left hand and grazed his abdomen before ricocheting off a countertop and striking Officer Eric Zuehlk’s hip.

The gun went off while Mondeau was inserting a magazine into the handgun, Zuehlk wrote in the incident report.

“Mike is extremely safe with firearms,”  :o Zuehlk said in a phone interview after the report was released.

The bullet “struck Mondeau in the palm of his left hand, exited the pinky side of his hand and grazed his abdomen. The round continued and struck the countertop approximately two inches from my left hip, ricocheted and glanced off my left hip,” Zuehlk’s report said.

Doctors let the shrapnel in Zuehlk’s left hip come out on its own; he was not admitted to the hospital.

“Mine were very minor injuries ... nothing serious,” Zuehlk said, adding that Mondeau is still out on medical leave and healing from the injury. 

Six other officers were in the room when the gun went off, Officer Aaron Schultz’s report said.

Reserve Officer Paul Searle was putting on his boots in the department’s locker room when he heard “what appeared to be a gunshot go off” in the adjacent room.  The reserve officer cut off Mondeau’s shirt with scissors and held a bandage to his hand until paramedics arrived.

The West Bloomfield Fire Department responded to the shooting and took Mondeau to McLaren Oakland hospital in Pontiac. A surgeon at the hospital said Mondeau did not break any bones in his wounded hand or suffer any nerve damage; the police officer was kept overnight for observation.

The spent bullet was found on the floor of the police department’s office. The blood and tissue left behind at the scene were cleaned up by Aftermath, Inc.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
Re: Found this kind of Amusing.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:21:14 AM »
I can't even picture how this sequence of events could happen........

If he was inserting a mag, he must have been doing it with his right hand. How would you hold a weapon in your left, shoot through your left, and have the bullet go across your abdomen?

Something fishy, here....
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline METL

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »
I agree with ShadowBear...  I"m trying to picture how you get your left hand infront of the muzzle putting the mag in with the right hand... then pointing near your abdomen...   and how does the trigger get depressed?   Oh wait, it was a glock, obviously it went off by itslef...    ::)

I cleared and double checked and triple checked my G22 just now and emptied the mag and tried to see how this would even work...    I'm confused.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 10:18:42 AM »
I got it, the delayed combustion effect, you see he inserted the mag with his left hand at which point the defective round that was already chambered ignited ever so slowly. Then as he pointed the weapon towards his left and slightly inward to make sure all was safe, only then the delayed combustion occurred causing the round to leave the weapon and strike him in two places and a coworker once.

And I'm sticking to that story!!

Offline Shadow Bear

• MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
Got it!

Weapon in right hand, insert mag with left.

With weapon still in right hand, pointed left across stomach, rack slide with left, with portion of left hand covering muzzle.

Let's call it the cross c**k monkey f**k, with a bang!

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »
He had to be racking a round after inserting the mag and the fleshy part of his left hand must have been in front of the barrel and then touched the trigger.  Is this a likely scenario?  Since he suffered no bone or nerve damaged he had to have been hit in the soft part of his hand below his pinkie finger.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 02:07:36 AM »
Had something similar to that happen to a guy I worked with. Armed security, weapons stored on site and drawn from an armory every day. They were evaluating a new holster and when he inserted it, something in the holster caught the trigger and it discharged into his foot. Not sure what the holster make was as it was after I left there.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline bagz013

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 09:56:07 AM »
Had something similar to that happen to a guy I worked with. Armed security, weapons stored on site and drawn from an armory every day. They were evaluating a new holster and when he inserted it, something in the holster caught the trigger and it discharged into his foot. Not sure what the holster make was as it was after I left there.

Did they use the holster?!? ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Shadow Bear

• MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »

Yes; now they're evaluating steel toed boots.....

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »

As far as I know, no they went with another holster. More simple with a thumb break or hood instead of an internal retention system.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline Rockhunter 1620

• First Name (Displayed): Frank
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 01:40:27 PM »
I can't even picture how this sequence of events could happen........

Something fishy, here....
Ok, as much as I'm new here, I figure there can only be 2 possible scenario's. The 1rst. bein the most probable. And that goes like this, there's the "thruth" as to what went on there that day which will be permanently sealed behind "the blue wall of silence", as opposed to the story that was given to the media. Or scenario #2 bein the simple formula; Complacency + carelessness=Pure stupid, and to finalize the summery of "Found this kind of amusing".....RH
Good men learn to conquer others, Great men learn to conquer themselves! Democracy is nothing more than 2 wolves & a sheep voteing on whats for dinner, Liberty is a well armed sheep disputing the vote..B. Franklin