Author Topic: Primary Poll  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Nav0341

• First Name (Displayed): Jeff
Primary Poll
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:13:14 PM »
I OC'd yesterday while voting. Again I was prepared to meet opposition with a courteous attitude and educational material. Nothing out of the norm, I appreciated the fact that I was not hassled nor was a big deal made, that is how it should be.

Did anyone else OC to their polling station?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Primary Poll
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
I did and my polling place happens to be a church. 2nd time I've done this and 2nd time without hassle.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »
I didn't OC while voting today and here is why:

I live in Ingham County. One of our sitting Circuit Court judges (not up for election at this time) is the Not-So Hon. Rosemarie Aquilina. "What's the big deal?", you ask.

Our friend Rosemarie was not only the judge that decided against us in CADL v MOC, she is also the judge who wrote in People V Watkins the legal interpretation that you can OC in a PFZ is "absurd" (People v Watkins). Since the Court of Appeals stayed silent on this question during their ruling there is no binding precedent on our plain-letter reading of the law interpretation. If I OC in a PFZ and get stopped, I could end up in front of Rosie -- at which point, unless I took it up to the CoA (mostly Democrats) or Supreme Court of MI (who knows what the makeup of SCM will be after this election), I'm screwed.

Bless those of you that carried, I just personally won't take the chance while fair Rosie is on the bench.

With regards to "they can't stop you until after you vote". True, but! I just gave them my name and identification in order to vote (or in the very least my name). "They" (the Polling Place Captain is Democrat) could call Lansing PD and give them my name and....then I'm screwed.

Again, bless all of you, I'm just too chicken for now.

When I give OC Seminars I advise people of People v Watkins to let them know not everyone in the judicial system sees the law in a plain letter reading like we do.

My voting place is a PFZ (school).  Good thing the school is being shut down and this fall it will be a retirement community center!  I'll OC then!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Wolverine

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »
Yes indeed, I oc'd at our voting place which is the Jefferson Township Hall. One of the registration takers, with her eyes as big as saucers, leaned over and asked another one if that was legal as she viewed my weapon.  I did not hear her answer as I was on the way to the booth to cast my vote. Other than that, no problems.  Just another white haired old man exercising his right... Ho hum.  By the way Phillip, the word is not chicken it’s cautious and rightly so.