Author Topic: pistol permit processing fee  (Read 6952 times)

Offline radron2359

pistol permit processing fee
« on: August 12, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »
I posted on this subject over a year ago. I can now confirm through the criminal investigations unit (the office that regulates pistol registration) that a city or licensing authority
cannot compel you to use their notary service. Don't let them bullshit you. Also for you AK-47 nuts such as myself, the (total) length requirements for rifles will be reduced to 26".
Please be aware that in Michigan the length is measured with the stock folded. Beginning in January. Confirm this info yourself before committing to building a sidefolder or underfolder.
Major gun legislation is going through the legislature that will change the way pistols are registered. Nobody will have to go to the cop shops and register! Or Pay!
This is to bring Michigan's firearms laws up to speed with the federal government.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: pistol permit processing fee
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »
I personally want to think every person that was involved in getting that turd of a bill passed. Great job removing the ability for people to carry guns.
Move to MI on Jan 2 and you don't have the ability to carry those anymore, awesome.
The Brady's are happy as help with this new law.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:20:51 PM »
I personally want to think every person that was involved in getting that turd of a bill passed. Great job removing the ability for people to carry guns.
Move to MI on Jan 2 and you don't have the ability to carry those anymore
, awesome.
The Brady's are happy as help with this new law.

Not quite sure what it is that youre referring to here.

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:10:02 PM »
Not quite sure what it is that youre referring to here.
I'd guess he's referring to the change in definition of "pistol."
You can still carry them, just not as pistols. The only thing I can think of that we lose for that is vehicular carry.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 03:34:15 PM »
I just bought a Mossberg 500 so I can be grandfathered in.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »
I'd guess he's referring to the change in definition of "pistol."
You can still carry them, just not as pistols. The only thing I can think of that we lose for that is vehicular carry.

Vehicle carry
Concealed carry
PFZ carry w/CPL
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:44:16 PM »
Vehicle carry
Concealed carry
PFZ carry w/CPL
Concealed carry, that's fair. It may not always be practical, but it's legal only if the weapon is considered a pistol.
750.234d PFZs? I don't see why you couldn't carry a non-pistol firearm with a CPL.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Offline radron2359

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
HA!! with enough bitching the pistol permit processing "fee" has been eliminated in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
by our city commission! It is now a 5.00 notary fee. They also must notify registrants that they can also use their own notary. Small victory. They realized that they opened themselves up to a class action lawsuit for calling their fee a "processing fee," which is illegal under Mich. law. I have the Police Chief and City Manager hating me but thats too bad.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 04:04:59 PM »
HA!! with enough bitching the pistol permit processing "fee" has been eliminated in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
by our city commission! It is now a 5.00 notary fee. They also must notify registrants that they can also use their own notary. Small victory. They realized that they opened themselves up to a class action lawsuit for calling their fee a "processing fee," which is illegal under Mich. law. I have the Police Chief and City Manager hating me but thats too bad.

Well done! This is the type of local involvement we are hoping to see!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »
I just bought a Mossberg 500 so I can be grandfathered in.

+1 well, I bought 2 of them
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »

Good work! I did the same thing in Clio back in June. I sure watch my speed when driving around town...  ;)
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.