Author Topic: NEAR Texas A&M Shooting  (Read 9860 times)

Offline bagz013

NEAR Texas A&M Shooting
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »
Shooting today at Texas A&M

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/13/gunman-arrested-near-campus-of-texas-am/?hp

If you click on the Texas news channel link you can see a video where an AR is visible  :-\
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:30:26 PM by bagz013 »
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
Re: Texas A&M Shooting
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:52:22 PM »
Shooting today at Texas A&M

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/13/gunman-arrested-near-campus-of-texas-am/?hp

If you click on the Texas news channel link you can see a video where an AR is visible  :-\

Those Texans have good eyes- I can't tell the difference between an AR15 and an M16 a much more than 10 ft!

Must have been a very slow automatic rifle- people could hear & count the number of shots!

Or, could it be sloppy journalism?
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline bagz013

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
Those Texans have good eyes- I can't tell the difference between an AR15 and an M16 a much more than 10 ft!

Must have been a very slow automatic rifle- people could hear & count the number of shots!

Or, could it be sloppy journalism?

It is the NYT and I usually don't use for anything but emergency toliet paper at the deer camp but this article seemed to have the most info.

Although, as you pointed out, probably false info.

I am concerned with another incident involving an AR and how the media will react with this
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 05:24:15 PM »
bagz, this was NOT a Texas A&M shooting.  It was some guy who was getting evicted from his house shooting the cop coming there to evict him.  It was not on campus and it has nothing to do with the school.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 05:25:14 PM »
I like how they could identify an "automatic rifle" in a picture, tell me, how can they identify it as being full auto from a picture of it laying under a car?

Also, thread title is a little misleading, the shooting happened NEAR Texas A&M  ;)

Offline bagz013

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
bagz, this was NOT a Texas A&M shooting.  It was some guy who was getting evicted from his house shooting the cop coming there to evict him.  It was not on campus and it has nothing to do with the school.

Yeah, the article was pretty clear about that considering it was in the title of the piece.

Offline bagz013

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »
I like how they could identify an "automatic rifle" in a picture, tell me, how can they identify it as being full auto from a picture of it laying under a car?

Also, thread title is a little misleading, the shooting happened NEAR Texas A&M  ;)

That was my thoughts too. Already jumping on the anti-AR band wagon.

It was a little misleading.....Changed

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 04:09:37 PM »
Yeah, the article was pretty clear about that considering it was in the title of the piece.

The poser probably didn't read the link that said "NEAR". It happens often when someone is in a hurry and skips words. That is why it is necessary sometimes to s p a c e o u t    t h e    w o r d s   t o    a i d   i n    t h e i r    r e a d i n g    c o m p r e h e n t i o n ,
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
Re: NEAR Texas A&M Shooting
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »
Is that supposed to be "poser" or "poster" in your above post pat?

S o m e t i m e s  w e  h a v e  t o  s p a c e  o u t  t h e  w o r d s  t o  p r o p e r l y  s p e l l  c h e c k

:P

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: NEAR Texas A&M Shooting
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »
Maybe it was a poster poser..... or the other way around. Please nooooooo more spacing....... (but lots of dots are okay)

Offline bagz013

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 08:42:13 AM »
The poser probably didn't read the link that said "NEAR". It happens often when someone is in a hurry and skips words. That is why it is necessary sometimes to s p a c e o u t    t h e    w o r d s   t o    a i d   i n    t h e i r    r e a d i n g    c o m p r e h e n t i o n ,

In his defense, my original post did not contain the words "NEAR."

However, it was in the title of the article.

Yance pointed out it might be confussing so I changed the title

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
The poser probably didn't read the link that said "NEAR".
The link did not say "NEAR."  Don't make me jeer you.

ETA the first line of the OP still states: "Shooting today at Texas A&M"

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 01:11:28 PM »
The link did not say "NEAR."  Don't make me jeer you.

ETA the first line of the OP still states: "Shooting today at Texas A&M"

I apologize for typo... poster also.

But you get a jeer for threatening me with a jeer. :D
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update