Author Topic: Today's Senate Judiciary Committee vote on HB 5225  (Read 8373 times)

Offline Zeteo

• First Name (Displayed): Al
Today's Senate Judiciary Committee vote on HB 5225
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »
Anyone hear any news on how this went today? I've Googled, and don't see any news...

No law ever prevented a crime.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Today's Senate Judiciary Committee vote on HB 5225
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:38:42 PM »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Zeteo

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »
Thanks Q. I know MOC was neutral on this bill. I'm hoping that it's passing will be a positive rather than negative one for 2A supporters. I think it will myself.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »
Thanks Q. I know MOC was neutral on this bill. I'm hoping that it's passing will be a positive rather than negative one for 2A supporters. I think it will myself.

For those without a CPL, maybe not so much.

Offline Zeteo

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:17:54 PM »
For those without a CPL, maybe not so much.

The problem I have, Q, with the P2P law remaining in place, is that those without a CPL have to (most times) pay some sort of 'processing fee' or notary charge, etc in order to purchase. On top of that, all of us have to turn in the 2206 to the police dept after we purchase, even if we have a CPL. It seems to me that eliminating this record keeping, as well as the asinine test required by the state, along with the illegal fees that we are charged, has to be a good thing.

The real problem isn't with eliminating the P2P. It's with the poorly written law that makes open carry in the gun free school zone off-limits to those who have legally purchased their handguns but who don't possess a CPL. We need to come up with a solution that works toward eliminating that situation while still getting rid of the P2P law.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:25:06 PM »
The Gun Free Scool zone (1,000') is a Federal Issue.  When they get a bill heard on it, we will use our lobbying list to help out.

Other than that -- we let the National gun groups do the Federal things.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:31:16 AM »
I am all for the elimination of registering my property. I don't have to register my refrigerator. And children have been killed with them. So why my pistols?

I do have a concern that I will loose the benefit of being able to carry my less than 30" rifles as pistols though. Not that I do it often. But I did register specific long guns as pistols for that very reason. So I am faced with this internal struggle of wanting registration to be eliminated. A nd the desire to be able to continue to carry my A-Team Mini-14 as a pistol.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:35:04 AM »
Eliminating registration is a fantastic idea. I am curious though, who is going to oversee the destruction of prior registration records to ensure they are actually destroyed? I know I don't trust the average PD to obey the law.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:42:12 AM »
Eliminating registration is a fantastic idea. I am curious though, who is going to oversee the destruction of prior registration records to ensure they are actually destroyed? I know I don't trust the average PD to obey the law.

I have thought about that also. You can bet that if they want to know who owns what they will have the information readily available. But if I wanted to prove that my A-Team is a grandfathered pistol, they won't be able to find and evidence that it is.

But to be sure, I am all for the elimination of pistol registrations.

And as far as the school thing... almost every other state in the union doesn't register pistols and they don't have issues with over zealous pprosecution for that.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 01:51:08 AM »
I have thought about that also. You can bet that if they want to know who owns what they will have the information readily available. But if I wanted to prove that my A-Team is a grandfathered pistol, they won't be able to find and evidence that it is.

But to be sure, I am all for the elimination of pistol registrations.

And as far as the school thing... almost every other state in the union doesn't register pistols and they don't have issues with over zealous pprosecution for that.

As to the school zone issue, I agree, but would be nice to see how other states do it. There has to be something (such as the CPL) to get around it. Either that or there is just no active enforcement at the local level.  :-\ Your A-Team is a whole different issue. Not sure how you could go about that one, not having had to deal with it myself. I just hope there is some independent over-site of the registration records destruction.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 09:00:25 AM »
As far as PFZ's go, in both Az. and Ut. where I have lived. I haven't seen nor heard of issues / arrests/ tickets etc. I believe both states simply used common sense in regards to PFZ's. You know, if you have to walk next to it to get where your going, do it. As a matter of fact in Tucson Az there are gun stores right across the street or near schools. I wondered what the legality was and was approached by a police officer one time and all he said was hello.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
As far as PFZ's go, in both Az. and Ut. where I have lived. I haven't seen nor heard of issues / arrests/ tickets etc. I believe both states simply used common sense in regards to PFZ's. You know, if you have to walk next to it to get where your going, do it. As a matter of fact in Tucson Az there are gun stores right across the street or near schools. I wondered what the legality was and was approached by a police officer one time and all he said was hello.

Not too sure I would want to rely on most of the police I have met using common sense. I don't think they teach that to them around here.  :-[

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »
Not too sure I would want to rely on most of the police I have met using common sense. I don't think they teach that to them around here.  :-[

True, but out in "the wild west"of Arizona, carrying open is a very common experience. And the police have been educated for decades.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 11:40:48 AM »
True, but out in "the wild west"of Arizona, carrying open is a very common experience. And the police have been educated for decades.

Well lets import some here to teach OUR police  :D