Author Topic: Protect Michigan shooting ranges  (Read 5105 times)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Protect Michigan shooting ranges
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Copied from MGO!!

As we reported recently, MUCC has engaged in a court case between a local township and a private shooting range that implicates Michigan’s Sport Shooting Ranges Act and the protections our shooting ranges have under the act.

As the case moves to the Supreme Court and we continue to spread the word, we ask you to take action! Click the link and sign the petition to support shooting ranges and their protection under the Sport Shooting Ranges Act.

You do not have to be an MUCC member to sign, so please spread the word to your family, friends, neighbors and coworkers that support our heritage of sport shooting!

http://www.mucc.org/protectshootingranges/

Ensuring our 2nd amendment rights also means securing and protecting the places we go to shoot. We hope to have as many people sign as possible to show our state leaders and elected officials that support for shooting ranges is strong in Michigan.

Thank you for your help!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Protect Michigan shooting ranges
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »
MUCC has engaged in a court case between a local township and a private shooting range

What range, what township?

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:11:51 PM »
What range, what township?

This case could set a precedence, and affect ALL ranges. The base argument is that if a  range engages in any business transactions (e.g. selling ammo, targets, clubhouse rentals, charges for trap or skeet) they lose protection under the act.

This affects us all!
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 12:06:26 AM »
<sigh>
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:01:59 PM by gryphon »

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 08:36:37 AM »
Shadow Bear, let's assume I am not an idiot and understand all this.  Let's assume I don't write and manage multi-million dollar contracts.  Let's assume I am not currently engaging Michigan State University on their stated v. written firearms policies.  Let's assume I haven't written my own legal briefs, presented them pro-se in Michigan courts, and won.  Let's just assume I am a random idiot asking a simple question.

Can you answer it?

Thanks.  Thanks so much.

ETA: Shadow Bear, weren't you a former LEO?  Or am I misremembering?

No on the LEO- was a fireman in a previous life, though.

To put it as simply as I can- if the range takes money for anything, they could lose protection under state law(Sport Shooting Ranges Act (SSRA)). That law protects the range from local ordinances that affect there operation (like noise ordinances) and lawsuits from people who just moved in next door, and don't like the noise.

Its kind of like the Right to Farm laws, that prevent people from moving in next door to a pig farm, and then complaining about the smell.

This affects pretty much every gun club in Michigan....and could close them all.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 04:28:35 PM »
  I don't know if this will help or not, but where I took my first CPL class they were called the Shiawasee Dog & Kennel Club. No t dog for miles or Kennels, and You paid membership dues to Belong, which paid the employees who worked there, and paid the bills,  and They sold food and Beverages at the club house/Bar.
  Now this Club had a variety of free activities for their members. They had Horseshoe pits (Free), Fishing Pond (Free), Picnic area (free), and a shooting range (Free).
  Anyway I signed the form hope it helps.
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline ajelias

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »
Sure hope a favorable outcome comes soon  I am an instructor and can't hold the firearm portion of my class at my local club until this clears up  Our pres is being very concervative do to neighbors in the area