Author Topic: good starter 1911?  (Read 18744 times)

Offline FatboyCykes

Re: good starter 1911?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 07:37:14 PM »

Offline Bronson

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 03:00:33 AM »
I finally got my High Standard Crusader Compact 1911 set up for my small handed girlfriend.  She really likes the 1911 platform and she likes the balance and feel of the officer's size the most.  I had already replaced the standard safety with an extended one and I just installed a short shoe trigger and slim line grips.

The trigger is a little scratched up but it was free.  A non-gun friend of mine gave me a box of parts that had been sitting around since his dad passed away and in that box was a short 1911 trigger....yeah free  :D  The slim line grip bushings and screws came from Fusion Firearms and they cost me about $12.00 with shipping, I made the grips for free out of maple, they are 5/32" thick instead of the standard 1/4".  That brings the grand total of my modifications to about $50.00.  I am thinking of putting on some XS Big Dot sights since the factory installed black-on-black sights are tough to see.

Here's pics:

I can't say enough how happy I am with my inexpensive Filipino 1911s.
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 06:40:35 AM »
Heh, as simple as they seem(not condescending...)those grips are friggen gorgeous, I love the furniture on that 1911.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »
Heh, as simple as they seem(not condescending...)those grips are friggen gorgeous, I love the furniture on that 1911.

Thanks, I'm a fan of understated aesthetics.  Something simple, done well looks better IMO than something flashy done poorly.

I may end up putting the standard thumb safety back in since I'm setting this up for my girlfriend and her thumbs are too short to ride on top of the extended safety while shooting and it's easy to accidentally flick the extended safety on while firing if your thumb rides below it.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline wally1120

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 01:37:48 PM »
I would have to stay away from 1911 platforms. I had a Kimber Eclipse Pro 2 and had nothing but Malfunctions with the thing, And I just got rid of a Citadel 1911-A1 that I had the back end of come off of the Gun. I will NEVER trust another 1911, NO matter how much they cost. I would have to stay clear of them, Unless you have ALOT of money for repairs, And you want a thorn in your butt from having to spend so much to fix/replace parts on a 1911.

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 03:24:36 PM »
I would have to stay away from 1911 platforms. I had a Kimber Eclipse Pro 2 and had nothing but Malfunctions with the thing, And I just got rid of a Citadel 1911-A1 that I had the back end of come off of the Gun. I will NEVER trust another 1911, NO matter how much they cost. I would have to stay clear of them, Unless you have ALOT of money for repairs, And you want a thorn in your butt from having to spend so much to fix/replace parts on a 1911.

With all due respect, your experience(s) seem the  exception rather than the rule.  I mean seriously, the 1911 model has been around for almost 100 years with such a HUGE fan base, there is obviously something very right with the platform.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 03:25:08 PM »

Blaming your troubles on all 1911's seems a bit ex-stream! Considering that almost every firearms company makes a 1911 clone!

Kimbers have a spotty record... as for the Citadel I would be more interested in what specifically came off the backend of a steel frame gun... what failed? pins, screws, bolts? what?
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Beerme

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 02:06:00 AM »
100 years of service and cloned by almost every gun company says something
The platform is perfection
pure and simple

Offline Bronson

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 03:24:29 AM »
I just got rid of a Citadel 1911-A1 that I had the back end of come off of the Gun.

Did you use the great lifetime warranty and get it fixed or did you take a huge hit on selling a broken gun? 

Guns are machines and machines break.  It would be nice if they didn't but they do.  The measure of a company is how well they take care of the unfortunate customer who has a broken machine that needs fixing.  In my experience the folks at the warranty shop for the Armscor line are top notch and they would make it right.

Bronson

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 07:48:23 PM »
hello, a 1911 is a great gun i carry a NightHawk Custom GRP (Global Response Pistol) its a true custom gun and its shoots itself more or less, anyway some companies can really turn out a great gun some companies have a harder time. i have had 1911's from many companies taurus, SIG, Kimber, Springfield, Rock River,and of course Colt. My opinion is this, any company can turn out an exceptional piece, whether it is a piece s++++++ or a piece of great gun craftsmanship depends on many things. my favorite company is Nighthawk hands down, and the old addage applies's, "you get what you pay for". i must say that i had more problems from my taurus than anyother 1911, and when it came back from taurus i sold it. i won't say it's  a good company or a bad one my dad has a taurus revolver that has had a very respectable track record for many years. i have had my kimber warrior and eclipse both fail, a part breakage both times it was the slide stop, and i believe it was due to the MIM process of their parts. i see that you already bought a 1911 and you made a great choice for a firearm may it serve you well!  but i would have, of course said buy a nighthawk, i am biased plain and simple! the nighthawk is my carry gun for the forseeable future. but should you think of buying another 1911 for you girlfriend i would recommend the Lady Hawk from NightHawk, i did for my girlfriend she loves it! if we should ever meet i would have no problem showing you my NHC 1911, and should you opt for a nighthawk talk to larry he will take great care of you! shaun
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such goverment, and to provide new gaurds for their future security. United States Constitution.