Author Topic: Rant about the media with a link to the story.  (Read 5947 times)

Offline bignaz

Rant about the media with a link to the story.
« on: August 23, 2012, 04:06:28 PM »
Usually im pretty relaxed about stuff. But one thing i dont screw around with is firearm safety and promoting safe firearm handling.  I have seen first hand what firearms can do to people when i was in the military. I held bandages to a few mens wounds who have been shot in combat so excuse me if im safe. Its one thing to get shot and killed in combat for a cuase but its another to die from someone idiot who mishandles a weapon.

This person is Emily Miller http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/aug/19/miller-flying-gun/ Im happy she owns a firearm but she needs to lose the whole guns are cute idea. The first picture you see is he thinking shes one of charlies angles. Since i dought that shes at a safe area incase that weapon discharges and he may thing that having it aimed up is safe but its a fact that rounds fired in the air have killed people. Maybe she does not know the laws of gravity.

The next picture you see is her firearm being checked. Now this is her idea of safe. The hammer is clearly back meaning there's only 4.4lbs holding that hammer back from the firing pin.  I don't care if Jesus him self cleared that weapon you still treat it as if it was loaded. That is the first law of dealing with firearms and when in the military if a CO or NCO ask you for your weapon you clear it and hand it to him as if it were loaded or you pay.

Its my responsibility as a gun owner to bring this up because this is a dangerous situation . People may not agree and say it was all in good fun but the road to hell was paved with good intentions and this is a story we hear all to often. I dident know it was going to go off. The P229 have a decocker for a reason.

As the media you should be promoting safe weapon handling. I dont want anyone to think that the hammer back on a Sig P229 is safe. Its a service pistol if theres one in the pipe the loaded chamber indicator is very small and most people do not know the P229 has one "small gap to see the round" The extractor is hard to tell if it is pushed out if there is a round loaded.  So unless they press check it or clear it this can be a very dangerous situation. 

News flash for her. She may think shes a charlies angle with that pistol but this is real life. You screw up people die and they don't come back and its never the firearms fault its the person mishandling it.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Rant about the media with a link to the story.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »
The first picture you see is he thinking shes one of charlies angles. Since i dought that shes at a safe area incase that weapon discharges and he may thing that having it aimed up is safe but its a fact that rounds fired in the air have killed people. Maybe she does not know the laws of gravity.

Her finger is off the trigger.  And a round fired straight up will not kill anyone when it falls back to earth.
The next picture you see is her firearm being checked. Now this is her idea of safe.  The hammer is clearly back meaning there's only 4.4lbs holding that hammer back from the firing pin.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is the nimrods at TSA that safety checked the pistol to see that it was clear and left the hammer back, put it back in the case, and threw the card on top. She snapped the picture before her luggage was closed up.  You can clearly see it is on a SS table at the airport.

I've read one or two of her columns before.  She's not as experienced as some of us, and she's trying to normalize firearms with her columns, especially for women.  This is a Good Thing.TM
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:37:41 PM by gryphon »

Offline bignaz

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »
Rounds have killed people by falling back to earth. This is a well proven  fact http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

As the owner you are responsible if the TSA leave the hammer back tell them how to correct it or do it your self. If you plan on taking a picture this is even more important.  Im sorry if you plan on writing about how your soooo responsible and law abiding  you better be the damn poster child because liberals love crap like this.  Andi dont care if her finger is off the trigger muzzle up your at the ready.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 05:34:55 PM »
Rounds have killed people by falling back to earth. This is a well proven  fact
But not from a straight-up shooting.  It has always been from angular gunfire like those idiots do in the Middle East.  Ever see pictures of them shooting?  Some of them hold the rifles loosely at 30-45 degrees angled to horizontal.  Those bullets retain sufficient velocity to kill.

Offline METL

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »
Yep... bullets fired near vertical return to earth with a terminal velocity that is not sufficient to kill.  Would a pebble dropped from an airplane....  or for that matter a 180gr. bullet kill someone?  Very doubtful.

Offline bagz013

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
There's a gun in that pic :o
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »
Yep... bullets fired near vertical return to earth with a terminal velocity that is not sufficient to kill.  Would a pebble dropped from an airplane....  or for that matter a 180gr. bullet kill someone?  Very doubtful.

Imagine the carnage from a hail storm. Dead & wounded cattle, horses, sheep, deer, etc everywhere! :'(

Not to mention the holes in roofs, cars......
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.