Author Topic: Tasers & Stun Guns  (Read 4547 times)

Offline Rider524

Tasers & Stun Guns
« on: October 19, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »
It seems like what I make of the courts ruling in June of this year, that stun guns and tasers are legal to carry. Then I read that it has to be concealed. Does anybody know what the law is in Mich.? Can I openly carry a Taser?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Tasers & Stun Guns
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »
Where do you read tasers and stun guns must be concealed?  There are regulations on carrying them, just like handguns, but no restrictions they must be concealed.  Although you must have a CPL to carry one, you can OC them as their carry rules are the same as handguns.

Let's cite to authority:

"...the Michigan Constitution specifically allows citizens to “bear” arms for self-defense. We therefore conclude that a total prohibition on the open carrying of a protected arm such as a taser or stun gun is unconstitutional."

http://coa.courts.mi.gov/documents/OPINIONS/FINAL/COA/20120626_C304293_51_304293.OPN.PDF
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:12:31 PM by gryphon »

Offline zigziggityzoo

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
The law that was struck down has already been replaced.

The new law allows tasers, but gives them the same PFZs as concealed pistols have: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425o (See 2)

But the law does NOT require that a taser be carried concealed.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »
Did anybody ever decide if only a taser (connected by a wire and leaves calling cards at the scene) is allowed or are the stun guns that need contact allowed also?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Tasers & Stun Guns
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »
Did anybody ever decide if only a taser (connected by a wire and leaves calling cards at the scene) is allowed or are the stun guns that need contact allowed also?

"Ask a Firearms Attorney"
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).