Author Topic: Soldier charged for hiccups cure  (Read 7619 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Soldier charged for hiccups cure
« on: September 26, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »
An army soldier was going to cure his friends hiccups by pointing a gun at his head and pulling the trigger.  He thought the gun was loaded with dummy rounds.  Apparently the only "dummy" was him.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/army-soldier-trying-cure-hiccups-charged-manslaughter-124541269.html

Offline WilDChilD

Re: Soldier charged for hiccups cure
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:06:28 PM »
 A dummy round to the eye at point blank range would still be a bad idea.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:22:12 PM »
A dummy round to the eye at point blank range would still be a bad idea.

Maybe they meant training round/snap cap?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »
A dummy round is a snap cap or similar.  It has no primer or propellant.  But knowing how poor so many newspaper writers are these days, who knows if their descriptions of anything is accurate any more.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:26:21 PM »
I was thinking rubber bullet.

Offline METL

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:01:56 AM »
How could ANYONE, especially someone as familiar with firearms as a soldier be THIS F'ING STUPID?!?!?!?     FFS!!!!

I would have to say I doubt the guy's story.  He should probably be getting murder 1.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
How could ANYONE, especially someone as familiar with firearms as a soldier be THIS F'ING STUPID?!?!?!?     FFS!!!!

I would have to say I doubt the guy's story.  He should probably be getting murder 1.

As a veteran I can tell you that you would be rather surprised at the people that are in the military, everyone has to qualify with a firearm and they do teach firearm safety but, for a lack of better terms, its military firearms safety.  Pretty much your firearm is loaded, round may or may not be chambered, safety on ready to use.  Its battlefield training, they dont have an in depth firearms safety program, they simply make sure you know how to shoot and then make sure you dont shoot each other.  A lot of the people going into the military have never shot a gun until they have to shoot the one theyre issued, they dont come in with the golden rules of firearms handling in their head.

However I do agree that the story is a little off...I imagine someone wasnt being responsible and now they are trying to cover up their accident.

Sadly this is about the 4th situation like this I've heard of, the other 3 are Russian Roulette cases.  PSGWSP....sadly.

Offline METL

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:17:05 AM »
Even without in depth firearms safety training, I would think that it would be easy to understand that if you don't check the gun about 1 second before, there's a chance it could be hot... and even if you did just check, you should check AGAIN to make sure that you didn't just chamber a round by checking.... so check 1, 2, 3 times...  just to be sure.   I guess I'm just a worry-wart...   but I've had a close call with touching off a round I didn't want to... (never touched it off, but was JUST about to do some dry fire practice and decided to check my "empty" pistol one more time.. and bingo.. out popped a chambered rd.)  so now I'm extra, EXTRA careful.

I just don't understand why ANYONE would think that it's funny to point a real gun at someone's head and pull the trigger... 

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 10:21:05 AM »
I practice draw and click in my living room. You can be damn sure when I do, I check the chamber before I do it, and any mags are placed well across the room...!

Offline METL

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 10:38:59 AM »
Yep...   now I unload and check Hickok45 style...   ratchet the slide 3-4-5 times... just to be sure.

Plus if you only do it once, and it WAS empty and you don't notice the loaded mag in there, you just put one in there!!!

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »
Whenever I dry fire I check the chamber every time I rack the slide back.  When I'm finished and I load my firearm I verbally, out loud, say "gun is hot, gun is hot, gun is hot" to get it in my head that my firearm is loaded with one ready to go so I avoid accidentally picking it up for more dry fire practice.

Offline wayne

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 07:12:11 PM »
I unload my pistol in the bed room and leave the clip and ammo there, take an empty clip into the living room and chamber the snap cap before proceeding to practice dry fire.  I never dry fire when my daughter is home or anyone else is in the house and I never go back into the bedroom until I am done practice and time to load it hot again.  Can't be too careful.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »
I unload my pistol in the bed room and leave the clip and ammo there, take an empty clip into the living room and chamber the snap cap before proceeding to practice dry fire.  I never dry fire when my daughter is home or anyone else is in the house and I never go back into the bedroom until I am done practice and time to load it hot again.  Can't be too careful.

You pistol has a...clip?  Cool!

What kind is it?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 01:53:02 AM »
I remember disassembling my Glock for the first time. I must have checked the chamber 8 - 10 times before dry firing it. I was so nervous. I still check the chamber 8 - 10 times before I nervously dry fire it, even after owning it for 25 years.

But then again, we all know how unsafe Glocks are.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 07:52:49 AM »
I remember disassembling my Glock for the first time. I must have checked the chamber 8 - 10 times before dry firing it. I was so nervous. I still check the chamber 8 - 10 times before I nervously dry fire it, even after owning it for 25 years.

You mean...you actually keep/store it assembled?!?

How brave!

Offline METL

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 09:11:56 AM »
Whenever I dry fire I check the chamber every time I rack the slide back.  When I'm finished and I load my firearm I verbally, out loud, say "gun is hot, gun is hot, gun is hot" to get it in my head that my firearm is loaded with one ready to go so I avoid accidentally picking it up for more dry fire practice.

LoL...   I agree with you and may even employ that tactic...  still, you're weird.  haha..   :)

I can't believe you're still alive after all this time!!!!    How many times have your Tex'd yourself with that glock?  How many times has that glock shot you?  You must spend a lot of time in the ER!       ;D