Author Topic: I hope he wasn't selling the guns at his wife's insistence  (Read 15269 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
I hope he wasn't selling the guns at his wife's insistence
« on: September 26, 2012, 01:56:20 PM »
Gun-Sale Shooting Victim Was Newlywed

The victim, 30-year-old Joshua McLean, was shot at least twice in his chest during his attempt to sell six guns to buyers found on Craigslist.  Friends said Joshua was a loving brother and newlywed-- married to his wife for just six weeks.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »
If he was selling them for her, she'll have to live with that.

Maybe it will push her to reconsider her views (or it will harden her views). Either way, what a horrible price to pay.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline WilDChilD

Re: I hope he wasn't selling the guns at his wife's insistence
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
Great I am going to meet a guy I meet on line to trade some firearms this weekend. Unlike Josh I will have a couple extras in case anybody has a bright ideas.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 06:01:04 PM »
Presumably he is from one of the MI firearms forums, not some random dude that called you from a Craig's List ad!

I have bought and sold several guns and ammunition from MI firearms forum ads.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:18:35 AM »
Is there more to the story?  I've read half a dozen other stories with more info. He did not go alone and the guns were not taken by the shooters.  The weirdest is the comment after the following story.

Nashville, Tennessee Crime News Video: Joshua McLean Craigslist Murder – Shot And Killed Trying To Sell Guns At Nashville West Shopping Center

Offline METL

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:09:14 AM »
At least it explains how the brother didn't see who did it or what they got away in....

Quote from: article
His brother Eric has very bad eyesight needing thick corrective glasses and has special needs, dependent upon Josh for day to day living. The fact that Eric did not see and could not accurately report the incident to police is not surprising.

Offline bagz013

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »
Someone correct me if I am wrong but doesn't CraigsList have a strict no gun sale policy?
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 02:24:37 AM »
Someone correct me if I am wrong but doesn't CraigsList have a strict no gun sale policy?

Yes they do. Maybe they should make it even stricter.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline bagz013

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
Just like gun laws.......that way the criminals won't have guns

Yes they do. Maybe they should make it even stricter.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 05:39:24 PM »

I have bought and sold several guns and ammunition from MI firearms forum ads.

I have bought 2 guns advertised on MGO.  No problems, guns better than advertised, and met 2 nice guys that share 2A rights!   :)

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »

It was probably one of the sites similar to craigslist like backpage. Just like all guns involved in a shooting are AK-47's I imagine it was one of a few different craigslist wannabe sites that do allow gun sales, but we all know how accurate the media can be.

A few other states have a good amount of fair priced gun sales on backback.com or gunlisting.org, not so much in MI though.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 10:50:57 PM »
I have bought 2 guns advertised on MGO.  No problems, guns better than advertised, and met 2 nice guys that share 2A rights!   :)

MGO often has some great deals. I've taken advantage of numerous opportunities there. Of course the good deals rarely last more than a few hours before getting bought. The vast majority of the ads there are over priced to the point of being laughable.

My best deal was trading a glock 22 that I paid $250 for in exchange for a mint condition HK USP45. Did the deal in the parking lot of a Harley dealer.

Done lots of transactions in parking lots of gas stations, party stores, and shopping centers. Never really gave it much thought as far as any danger.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »

Last weekend I traded a mossy for a Rossi in a citgo parking lot. Turned out to be a great guy but I still carried ( like I always do). Then I went boatin and forgot the drain plug and lost all my firearms.:(

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 09:29:36 PM »
Then I went boatin and forgot the drain plug and lost all my firearms.:(

That sucks. I lost all of mine last winter in a boating accident while ice fishing.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 01:52:36 AM »
My best deal was trading a glock 22 that I paid $250 for in exchange for a mint condition HK USP45.
I'll give you $350 for the HK.  You make an easy $100.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »
I'll give you $350 for the HK.  You make an easy $100.
Too Late. Already gone. Birthday present. I am thinking about getting a double shoulder rig for the 2 USP45s.

Offline METL

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »
My birthday's comin right up!!!   Though I would prefer a glock or M&P (yeah I'm a cheap date) over the HK, I promise I won't return it if you get me an HK.     ;D

Offline bagz013

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 04:50:47 PM »
That sucks. I lost all of mine last winter in a boating accident while ice fishing.

Ok.....whats the deal with the boating accident and losing guns?!??!

You guys have referenced it several times now and I can't find anything on here about it outside of an obviously sarcastic comment.......What gives fellas?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »

You guys have referenced it several times now and I can't find anything on here about it outside of an obviously sarcastic comment.......What gives fellas?

Can't surrender a gun in a government mass confiscation if you lost it while boating, yes?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline METL

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 09:09:45 AM »

Inside joke about ways to avoid confiscation of firearms....     much like the "explosion of the gun room" where the wife was injured and no doubt all firearms were lost, there was an unexplained explosion on my boat.. causing it to sink to the bottom of the lake....  unfortunately I had all my firearms onboard at that time....  very tragic.     :D