Author Topic: 1st Time O/C  (Read 7505 times)

Offline FARR10

• First Name (Displayed): Farr10
1st Time O/C
« on: October 17, 2012, 05:01:40 PM »
New to the site & to O/C
-
I made the decision last night that today was the day. I  O/C  @ the car wash on Gratiot in East Point.
 I am going to O/C @ Pep Boys after work and will post my findings. I washed and waxed my car right on Gratiot for about 45mnts- Must have had 500 cars pass by and not one issue. I understand this is not a strong story but it’s my start and not my finish.
I also do not have my CPL yet so i have to be careful about my firearm placement while in the vehicle.
I am familiar with the laws regarding this so i dont expect an issue-- if anyone has any advice on O/C without CPL please pass it on.
CPL class is this Sat---

thanks
Mike-

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
1st Time O/C
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 05:34:07 PM »
Advice: stay away from Meijer and other places licensed to sell liquor/beer.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline METL

Re: 1st Time O/C
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »
Also, places that have blanket licenses to sell alcohol...   even if they don't sell...  example:   SpeedWay gas station.  Not all of them sell beer, but all of them have licenses.  Do not be on the premises of these establishments.  Not on the parking lot, not at the pump, etc...   

Make sure you have your audio recorder running just in case you have a run in with johnny law.

Carry on!!!!

Offline bagz013

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »
Congrats on taking the "plunge" to OC!!

life becomes much easier with a CPL. Although, not any reason to become lackadaisical in knowing the law.

Getting a recorder is a really good idea. CPL or not, having one is important.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline FARR10

• First Name (Displayed): Farr10
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
thanks for the advice
let me ask this of the recorder: Do you turn it on as you leave the vehicle and let run? I was just curious on where you all store it to get a good audio feed?

thanks
mike-

open carry update:
Pep Boys x2  "i like car stuff"  , Ace Hardware, and Kings Pizza-  no issues anywhere----
i am pretty limited without cpl because of the alcohol restrictions. However i still can be protected in certain places and pass on the word -

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 09:30:27 AM »
let me ask this of the recorder: Do you turn it on as you leave the vehicle and let run? I was just curious on where you all store it to get a good audio feed?
When I began OCing I let it run as soon as I left the house. Now I just turn it on as I exit my car, or if I were to get lit up by the local gendarme I would turn it on.

I wear mine from a shortened lanyard around my neck under my shirt. (I wear buttoned, collared shirts, so you can't see it). I can easily activate it and the audio is great.  Some people who have tried this say they get some noise from it rubbing their clothing, but I don't.  Recorders like my SONY ICD-PX312 have a noise cut switch that would help with that, but I never even turn mine on.

Some people carry their recorders in a spare mag pouch or a cell phone case or even just their shirt pocket.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:27:39 AM »
When I carry a dedicated audio recorder (and I'll answer honestly, I don't always -- bad on me) -- I start it as I leave the house.  I also note the date/time on the recording as I start it.

If you have a Smart Phone, look into an app called "Qik".  Qik enables live audio/video recording/upload from your phone to the Internet in real time.  Even if your phone is ganked by a crooked cop, he won't be able to delete or destroy the copy presently on the Internet.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 10:42:07 AM »
Qik doesn't support my BlackBerry Curve 8350. :(

Offline METL

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »
I use QiK as Q mentioned....    I also have a digital recorder that takes AAA batteries and I have a couple sets and a charger so I can always have fresh batteries...

I run it when I leave the house if I"m OCing...   or else I have my QiK going.

I usually put the recorder in the "coin pocket" of my jeans....   my shirt pocket if I have one... 

The recorder I have also has a "mic in" plug so that I can plug in a small microphone that I can run up inside my shirt to near my neck....

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
1st Time O/C
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »
Qik doesn't support my BlackBerry Curve 8350. :(

Get with the club, get an iPhone ;)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:07:56 AM »
I just got my wife an iPhone.  Mine is employer-provided, and I don't think I want to carry two phones.

Offline wayne

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »
I picked up an 8GB recorder off newegg.com a couple weeks ago and it has a voice activated recording feature, so you can let it run and it will record any time there is enough noise to trigger it.  Wore it about 14hr yesterday and it recorded 5.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »
Qik works on Android as well if you prefer.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline METL

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 04:30:59 PM »
I just got my wife an iPhone.  Mine is employer-provided, and I don't think I want to carry two phones.

Just forward your work number to the iphone...    calls will come thru still.  Unfortunately you probably cannot do that with texts...

Offline grampajeep

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
New to the site & to O/C
-
I made the decision last night that today was the day. I  O/C  @ the car wash on Gratiot in East Point.
 I am going to O/C @ Pep Boys after work and will post my findings. I washed and waxed my car right on Gratiot for about 45mnts- Must have had 500 cars pass by and not one issue. I understand this is not a strong story but it’s my start and not my finish.
I also do not have my CPL yet so i have to be careful about my firearm placement while in the vehicle.
I am familiar with the laws regarding this so i dont expect an issue-- if anyone has any advice on O/C without CPL please pass it on.
CPL class is this Sat---

thanks
Mike-

Since you asked for advice, I will give it. Get your CPL it makes things a lot easier.

Gerry

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »
Nice job brother! 

I myself took the plunge no more than a week ago!   Quite nerve wrecking your first time - but i'll be honest - I certainly felt... safe. :)

Had no problems, thankfully.  Though I was sure to prepare myself mentally if i were to be approached by anybody.  It's good to have the knowledge to share.