Author Topic: On magazine loading and spring fatigue/failure  (Read 6341 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
On magazine loading and spring fatigue/failure
« on: October 31, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »

Offline METL

Re: On magazine loading and spring fatigue/failure
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56:25 PM »
Interesting.  I have been told that being held under load will not mess them up, but the cycling of going from loaded to unloaded to loaded will weaken the spring....  I believe the material will degrade over time, even sans corrosion, and will cause less pressure eventually.

Offline viperar15

• First Name (Displayed): MOC Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:15:01 PM »
Good read, actually something I can send on to some friends. I have always believed in my magazines and they havent ever failed me. They go months at a time, fully loaded, just sitting in the magazine (all 3 of them). Then there are months, its constant IDPA, loading, unloading, loading, unloading, and then back to full capacity for who knows how long (just depends on my crazy schedule and the time of the year)

Never had any of them fail me (now that I say this, something will happen! lol).

I've always had the belief if properly constructed, they should last through the abuse I put them through... now I have something to prove it :-)

I shoot in IDPA & 2 and 3 Gun Shoots what I carry for defense. The shotgun goes even longer times with a full load in the tube.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:05:09 AM »
1911 magazines that have remained fully loaded from WWII have been found to be just fine.  I think our magazines today are even better.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 02:08:44 PM »
Grif, may I call you that?, this is some very interesting reading. Too bad I don't understand a word of it. Actually, I did understand the part that said "it's OK to leave your magazines loaded." But I had to wade through all that technical mumbo jumbo to get to it. I felt like I was studying analytical geometry again. And I thought I wanted to be an electrical engineer?!?!? Thanks for bringing me back to reality. ;)
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »
Grif, may I call you that?, this is some very interesting reading. Too bad I don't understand a word of it. Actually, I did understand the part that said "it's OK to leave your magazines loaded." But I had to wade through all that technical mumbo jumbo to get to it. I felt like I was studying analytical geometry again. And I thought I wanted to be an electrical engineer?!?!? Thanks for bringing me back to reality. ;)
Atleast I am not the only one to think most of the article was over my head.

Offline Mando21

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 10:27:26 PM »
Quite interesting... I have often wondered about this as there is so much hearsay on the subject.

Now can direct people to this when they want to persuade me to one view or another!

I like that.   8)
The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, anytime, and with utter recklessness.

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »

Ditto
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).