Author Topic: Self-Defense Tip: How Not To Shoot an Off-Duty Cop  (Read 12903 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Self-Defense Tip: How Not To Shoot an Off-Duty Cop
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »
If you’re involved a defensive gun use (DGU) and the cops arrive to find you with a firearm in your hand, you’re on the wrong side of the “don’t get shot by cops” curve.  For that you can thank ye olde tunnel vision.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/11/robert-farago/self-defense-tip-how-not-to-shoot-an-off-duty-cop/

Offline METL

Re: Self-Defense Tip: How Not To Shoot an Off-Duty Cop
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 03:53:46 PM »
"Don't shoot ANYONE"...   lol...      True though... I believe this too.. just as their examples showed you usually don't know all the factors to play "hero" to a stranger....   

Unless someone's attacking YOU or someone you immediately know, you better lay off the trigger finger.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:00:09 PM »
"Don't shoot ANYONE"...   lol...      True though... I believe this too.. just as their examples showed you usually don't know all the factors to play "hero" to a stranger....   

Unless someone's attacking YOU or someone you immediately know, you better lay off the trigger finger.
Exactly, I have 3 people (wife and 2 kids) I have to look out for. Everybody else has to bring their own firearm. Sorry general public I am not getting zimmerman'ed for somebody else.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 09:31:21 PM »
I have 3 people (wife and 2 kids) I have to look out for. Everybody else has to bring their own firearm. Sorry general public I am not getting zimmerman'ed for somebody else.
Does that apply to this as well?

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,2319.0.html

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 09:05:07 PM »
Yes

I still would have taken him out.  He's holding up that other person, he may decide to take us all out...eliminate witnesses, etc.

As far as an exit, are you going to turn your back on him?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »
I still would have taken him out.  He's holding up that other person, he may decide to take us all out...eliminate witnesses, etc.

As far as an exit, are you going to turn your back on him?
The bold part above is no concern of mine. I would have moved my responsibilities to a safe area and made a good little witness for the real police to apprehend the suspect. If the attacker tryed to eliminate witnesses, he would be one sad BG if they moved in my direction. He (the guy in the video who was attacked) needs to carry his own protection and not rely on others.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »
But, Wildchild, it could be argued that you will have no better position than the one you are currently in to effectuate an attack.  If you move away, you will have a harder time engaging if you have to.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Self-Defense Tip: How Not To Shoot an Off-Duty Cop
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 01:53:35 PM »
But, Wildchild, it could be argued that you will have no better position than the one you are currently in to effectuate an attack.  If you move away, you will have a harder time engaging if you have to.

Exactly. Shooting at him when he's shooting at you is much harder than plugging him when his back is turned to you.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 02:43:12 PM »
Exactly. Shooting at him when he's shooting at you is much harder than plugging him when his back is turned to you.
He wasn't shooting at anybody, he had a knife. And I will take my chances on him getting the upper hand. I wouldn't just turn and run. I would find a place to defend myself if he persued me I would engage. Sorry dude getting stabbed and old lady getting her purse snatched, I am not the police call them they have immunity if something takes a turn for the worst.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »
He wasn't shooting at anybody, he had a knife.

Looks like a gun to me.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »
He wasn't shooting at anybody, he had a knife. And I will take my chances on him getting the upper hand. I wouldn't just turn and run. I would find a place to defend myself if he persued me I would engage. Sorry dude getting stabbed and old lady getting her purse snatched, I am not the police call them they have immunity if something takes a turn for the worst.

It was hard to tell from the video if he had a gun or a knife.

If he had a knife, I'd concur.  I have the trump card.  Disengage/evacuate/call 911

OTOH, if he had a gun, I'd drop him right there.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »
Looks like a gun to me.

I was still refering to your post in reply #3.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »
I was still refering to your post in reply #3.

So was I.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 04:56:48 PM »
So was I.
Ok lets try again. I confused the armed robbery thread with the knifing in the parking lot thread. :(

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »
Last thing I would do is what the guy in the gray shirt did, stand there with his hands in his pockets and do nothing. I would have been so far gone by the time the guy got the money out of the till I would have been in a new zip code.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »
Last thing I would do is what the guy in the gray shirt did, stand there with his hands in his pockets and do nothing.

I know. What was he thinking?   :o