Author Topic: 1st open carry for my g/f and I  (Read 6908 times)

Offline Rustykeys

1st open carry for my g/f and I
« on: November 10, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »
Well we finally decided to take the plunge since it was such a beautiful day here in Dundee. Neither of us have our cpl's yet, mine should arrive soon, so since we can't really go shopping anywhere here in town we just decided to take the dogs out for a walk. Walked through downtown and window shopped. A lot of people out and about. Some sitting on benches out in front of the stores. Walked pass close by and apparently either no one noticed or really didn't care. Went down to the damn where people were out and about. Two young girls noticed us and vacated the area as we approached. Not sure if it was because of the sidearms or not. Sheriff drove by gave us a look, a wave, and just kept driving by. An uneventful beautiful day.
“We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.”

– Benjamin Franklin

A right not exercised is a right lost.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
1st open carry for my g/f and I
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:06:42 PM »
Well we finally decided to take the plunge since it was such a beautiful day here in Dundee. Neither of us have our cpl's yet, mine should arrive soon, so since we can't really go shopping anywhere here in town we just decided to take the dogs out for a walk. Walked through downtown and window shopped. A lot of people out and about. Some sitting on benches out in front of the stores. Walked pass close by and apparently either no one noticed or really didn't care. Went down to the dam where people were out and about. Two young girls noticed us and vacated the area as we approached. Not sure if it was because of the sidearms or not. Sheriff drove by gave us a look, a wave, and just kept driving by. An uneventful beautiful day.

FIFY

Glad you had a successful/uneventful day :)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline METL

Re: 1st open carry for my g/f and I
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »
You probably know... but just in case...    In order to legally OC, the firearm must be registered to you...     just in case it's YOUR gun she's OCing...  (which would not be legal)

Offline Rustykeys

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »
Thanks METL, we are totally aware of that and she was carrying her own firearm.  ;)
“We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.”

– Benjamin Franklin

A right not exercised is a right lost.

Offline METL

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 11:24:29 AM »
 8)

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 02:30:23 PM »
It only gets easier from there.  I was really nervous about when I started  OCing, as is the story for most people, but the more you do it the more you realize its really not a big deal.  Glad you had a good first experience, a lot of your time OCing will consist of absolutely nothing exciting thanks in large part to the people who stuck it out during the tough times at the beginning of the OC movement.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 02:19:02 AM »
I am just worried about getting onto one of those harassment type situations with close minded people about open carrying.  The story I just read about the open carry annoyance at the unemployment office would have had me quite flustered I am sure.  I don't know enough to stand my ground and cite regulations.  I need to learn more and burn that information into my brain so I know how to not be taken advantage of and lied to about what I can and can not legally do.

Offline .40 Cal

• MOC Member
  • Flat Rock, Michigan
  • First Name (Displayed): John
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 07:30:33 AM »
Based on my limited experiences this is a typical OC experience. Well done glad you had a enjoyable time.  8)
I carry a firearm because their are real threats in the world and when seconds count; the Police are minutes away!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
I am just worried about getting onto one of those harassment type situations with close minded people about open carrying.  The story I just read about the open carry annoyance at the unemployment office would have had me quite flustered I am sure.  I don't know enough to stand my ground and cite regulations.  I need to learn more and burn that information into my brain so I know how to not be taken advantage of and lied to about what I can and can not legally do.

Hang out here and you'll learn the laws about OC better than the cops.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »
Hang out here and you'll learn the laws about OC better than the cops.

that won't take much lol
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 07:41:16 PM »
 :) 8)Great job. Just stay alert Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline dlgeorge

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 02:07:37 PM »
You probably know... but just in case...    In order to legally OC, the firearm must be registered to you...     just in case it's YOUR gun she's OCing...  (which would not be legal)

Maybe I'm thinking of Ohio, (I live in Michigan, but near Ohio) But isn't it true that you can legally open carry a pistol that is not registered to you as long as you have the permission of the owner?

Just asking.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »
IANAL, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

MCL 28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications;
applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure;
forging application; implementation during business hours.
Sec. 2. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or
transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.
(12) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:
(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol.
(b) The person is at a recognized target range or shooting facility.
(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a
pistol.
(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of the pistol.
MCL 28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.
Sec. 12. (1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:
(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by
another state
(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the
other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using,
or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from
licensure as provided in section 12a.

If the pistol isn't registered to you, you can carry it only at a range and only if the owner is present.  If you have a Michigan CPL, you can carry a pistol registered to another individual as long as you are in lawful possession.  (i.e. have permission).  Grey area is whether a non-Michigan CPL allows for carry of another's pistol, registered in Michigan or otherwise.

I've instructed my wife that if I ever need to go to a hospital (CPFZ) while carrying, she is to have a LEO disarm me and take possession.  She also cannot be in the car with my pistol(s) properly stowed in the trunk for transport, unless I am present and in "possession".  (no quick run into a store and leave the wife in the car) I know another couple where the spouse applied for a CPL for these reasons.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »

I've instructed my wife that if I ever need to go to a hospital (CPFZ) while carrying, she is to have a LEO disarm me and take possession.  She also cannot be in the car with my pistol(s) properly stowed in the trunk for transport, unless I am present and in "possession".  (no quick run into a store and leave the wife in the car) I know another couple where the spouse applied for a CPL for these reasons.

My wife applied for and received her CPL for many of the same reasons. But she does carry some also. She is still getting used to it.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.