Author Topic: Mishap at Chase Bank Ann Arbor, MI  (Read 8669 times)

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
Mishap at Chase Bank Ann Arbor, MI
« on: April 11, 2013, 05:38:35 PM »
(Thanks Phil for reminding me to put this up.)

So, here's my story.

My wife and I needed to switch banks because we were moving to another city so we chose Chase Bank.

So the first day that we went in to talk to somebody to get our account all set up, I OC'ed, and everyone was OK with it.  I was introduced to some very friendly people, and everything was great.   Our account got set up, and so we went on our way.

Next time I went into Chase, I was very positive, and said Hi to everybody that I was introduced to in my last visit, however, the one gentleman that helped me out with my bank account, approached me, and here is some approximate dialogue.

Me: Good afternoon Pete! How are you today?
Pete:  Daniel.. um.. we have a problem.

At this point, I'm thinking something terrible happened to the bank, my heart went cold.

Me: Uh-oh, what's the problem?
Pete: You can't have that in here.

I feel a sudden relief because I knew I was in the right, and I knew nothing bad has happened.

Me:  Being a concealed pistol license holder, I'm able to carry this in here.  The only BANK that I cannot enter, is any of the 12 federal reserve banks.
Pete:  I'm afraid not. I had a talk with our branch manager, who happens to be a CCW holder. Here let's talk with him.
Pete: Hi Karlos, this is the man I was mentioning about the carrier of a pistol here.
Me: Hi Karlos, nice to meet you, I'm Daniel.
Karlos:  Hi Daniel, here's the thing.  We looked up the laws, and it says you can't have that showing like that. it's gotta be concealed.
Me:  Well according to MCL 750.23..(interrupted and never got to mention 28.425o)
Karlos:  You don't have to cite the laws to me, I know the laws, and they say you HAVE to conceal it.
Me:  I'm afraid that nowhere in the laws does it prohibit me from carrying this openly IF and only if I am a valid concealed pistol license carrier, which I am.
Karlos:  Ok, well I'm not going to back and forth with this, and I'm sure you don't want me to call corporate security.

At this point, I really didn't want to cause any issues, even though it would have been .. satisfying.  I kindly said,

Me: Ok, well I came here to cash a check. Can I do so, and leave?

which he agreed to, so I left with no troubles.

As I was driving home, I felt very warm, and very upset... Upset that I couldn't write down how I'm feeling, and upset that a fellow concealed carrier doesn't know the law to the extent that I do.

So, arriving home, I immedately hopped on my computer an came up with a document.  I've provided the document that I have written below, and I have emailed Karlos the letter, to which he has *NOT* responded.

He still has not responded, even after 3 follow-up emails simply stating -
Hi Karlos,

I hadn’t heard anything back, and I wanted to follow up with you and make sure that we won’t have any more issues.

Regards,
Daniel.

As promised, here is the text of the document that I had written him.  If i had missed anything, missed any facts at all, please let me know!

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
Re: Mishap at Chase Bank Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 05:45:21 PM »
To put the datet into perspective, my initial email was -
Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM

xerxescct

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:46:18 PM »
I don't know the law, i'm still learning so I can not comment on the situation itself but I just wanted to commend you for being polite, calm, and willing to understand the banks side of the story. I also can not see why a fellow CPL holder would give you any grief. Even with a CPL I don't know that I would have the courage to open carry so once again commendable. Keep us updated if you hear a response from the bank.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »
Contact their Human Resources department about the issue, if their policy is to follow state law then they may be able to contact the manager and inform him that you are allowed to carry in the bank.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 07:25:18 PM »
Unfortunately they won't care because they've won.  Not to be a hard ass but as soon as you said

Me: Ok, well I came here to cash a check. Can I do so, and leave?

they knew they wouldn't have to do anything to make it right by you.

The only thing that gets their attention is

Ok, Then I'll need to close my account now.

Sucks but they just don't care.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »
Sucks for them!  I'm not stopping.. ;) so I disagree that they "won."

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
I agree with bronson, about telling them to close your account.

I would have asked him for the number to corporate security and called then and there just because.

Offline dlgeorge

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 02:50:28 PM »
Close your account!

Offline fsr402

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
Go back to the bank OCing and see if he says anything. If no, it's settled, if yes, well game on.

Mod note: this is bad advice and could get you arrested for trespass.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:01:29 PM by TheQ »

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 07:00:07 PM »
Go back to the bank OCing and see if he says anything. If no, it's settled, if yes, well game on.

This would be poor advice that'd get you arrested and prosecuted for trespass.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline JaccFrost

• What do I have to be afraid of? Nothing...
  • First Name (Displayed): Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 01:02:15 AM »
I think I would to also call the HR department and or Security and see what they have to say about their policy. I would also try and call him directly to see if he has come to a different conclusion. If they still refuse and insist you cannot OC, I would then close my account there and find another bank.

It is unfortunate that is has come to this, but hopefully he can still be open to being educated on state law.

I would also agree with Q, you were actually told to leave and not OC, so until you actually know what their policy is, it could be considered Criminal Trespass.
As someone who carries, I fully accept responsibility and the consequences of my actions..

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 01:47:37 AM »
that'd

I'm alerting English majors everywhere that you have created a new contraction.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
as far as the fellow CPL holder misinforming you of the law regarding conceal carry i don't necessarily blame him but CPL instructors. i have encountered many CPL holders asking me if i have CPL and when i tell them i do they tell me their instructors told them they HAVE to conceal. my theory is that OC robs them of revenue.
i'm surprised nobody mentioned the private property aspect. you can be legal all across the board to OC/CC in PFZs but if it is private property, which a bank is, you can be excluded just based on that.
ann arbor is notoriously liberal area and U of M cranks out new batches of democrats every year like my brother in laws nephew and his fiancee. no family gathering is complete without a firearm argument with them. you get an obama bumper sticker with your diploma.
personally i would make them have to tell you every time you come in. eventually they will either get tired of telling you or flat out tell you not to return with it. then close your account.
i want to create my own acronym like OMG or LOL. JMO - just my opinion. might or might catch on. anyway thats JMO.
BTW (by the way) gryphon...lol at the grammar police. i am also notorious for it.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 11:04:27 PM »
Update for this:

I went back into Chase today. concealing (I know... i would have OC'ed, but i didn't want any legal action against me)  and I went there to cash some checks, and confront Mr. Baird.

I sat down with Mr. Baird, and asked him whey he didn't not follow up with my email, he responded "I didn't see it."  Fine.  So we talked about the subject, and he informed me that he had a thorough discussion with his district manager of chase bank, and he told me "We abide by the local ordinances, and you can open carry in here.   I'll just have to tell everyone that asks, that it's perfectly fine."   

This my first encounter, and first success of an OC argument.  Score 1 for rights! :)

Thanks for following the thread guys.

Offline springfield40xdm

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 05:22:01 PM »
I bank at Chase up here in Hartland.  I have never tried to open carry in the bank but good to know that Chase bank is understanding of the laws.  Great job!