Author Topic: Open carry at Ptk lake rec shooting range  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Airbumnh

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Nick
Open carry at Ptk lake rec shooting range
« on: November 12, 2012, 10:17:13 PM »
I went to the Ptk lake shooting range last Sunday and was OC. After an hour or so I had one of the range officer come over and asked me if I had my CPL and I responded with a yes. Then he asked me to see it to see it and I told him No. And I told him that I didn't have to show it to him. After we went back and forth weather I had to show him my CPL I just showed him it to shut him up. Now the big question is am I wrong. I've looked every were and have not found anything saying I had to show them my CPL other than a memo they have on a board at the range saying that you are not allowed to OC down range unless you have a CPL, oh and the head range officer came over and told me they have some a waiver saying that I have to show them my CPL if they ask. I must be missing something?

Offline Hammurabi

Re: Open carry at Ptk lake rec shooting range
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:29:35 PM »
MCL 324.504 provides that the DNR "shall not promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits an individual who is licensed or exempt from licensure under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, from carrying a pistol in compliance with that act, whether concealed or otherwise, on property under the control of the department." They have decided that said licensure means a CPL, but not the license to purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol described in MCL 28.422.

As far as a duty to ID goes: so long as you're not carrying concealed, they can piss up a rope.
I could be mistaken, but I do not believe there would be a duty to disclose or ID for a range master anyway, although there would be if stopped by a conservation officer while carrying concealed.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Open carry at Ptk lake rec shooting range
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »
Email research@miopencarry.org. Our director of research has had many discussions with the DNR regarding this and he can give you the most current information.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Airbumnh

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »
I didn't think I was wrong. Thanks for the info I will defiantly will send an email out. I've been talking to some of my coworkers and there telling me they have had the same problems. It sound like the workers up there are on a power trip tome

Offline fsr402

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
When you say range officer are you meaning a CO or just some guy that is overseeing a privately owned gun range? 

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:07:12 AM »
When you say range officer are you meaning a CO or just some guy that is overseeing a privately owned gun range?
I don't think this is a privately owned DNR range.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »
Privately operated by a contract company. Still has to follow the law and DNR rules.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Airbumnh

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »
Sorry I haven't checked in for a bit but the range at Ptk lk rec is state ran. And since then I've been up there a few more times and have still not seen this so called waiver I asked about it and was told the that it was going to be posted on the DNR's web site and if I can't find it there I need to contact the state police. Oh and I was also informed by the range workers that even if I CC there I need to tell them that I'm carrying my response to that was doesn't that defeat the purpose of CC and he told me that all ranges require a person to do that. It sounds to me yet again there pulling rules out of there butts

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »
Sorry I haven't checked in for a bit but the range at Ptk lk rec is state ran. And since then I've been up there a few more times and have still not seen this so called waiver I asked about it and was told the that it was going to be posted on the DNR's web site and if I can't find it there I need to contact the state police. Oh and I was also informed by the range workers that even if I CC there I need to tell them that I'm carrying my response to that was doesn't that defeat the purpose of CC and he told me that all ranges require a person to do that. It sounds to me yet again there pulling rules out of there butts

Agreed

Maybe you should tell him what color your underwear is?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »
I'm still waiting on a response to my inquiry on what they plan on doing when refused ID.  I suspect I won't get one.  I also suspect they plan on keeping this on the low down.  They really have no reason to deny non CPL holders the right to OC.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.