Author Topic: First handgun purchase  (Read 20327 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: First handgun purchase
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2012, 05:52:03 PM »
M&Ps are nice pistols. I've been thinking about buying an M&P 45 just because one can never have enough guns.  :)

Offline METL

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys!   I decided on the smith and Wesson and plopped some money down on one today!  Plan on picking it up when I get my bonus at the end if the month.  After talking with numerous people I decided that was the one for me. The Springfield is an extremely nice gun and I barely could decide between the 2. It finally came down to that the smith ans Wesson felt more comfortable in my hand and had a few features that I liked better. I purchased the 9mm that already has the crimson trace installed. Final price is right around the 770 range out the door.

If anybody is curious silver bullet has the Springfield on sale for 65 bucks off for Black Friday, which is an extremely good deal! 

Now on to finding a nice safe and picking out a holster and a couple more magazines!

Nice... glad to hear you pulled the trigger on something...     It will be a good firearm for you.   I had an XD and the thing I just didn't like was that if you didn't hold it just right the grip safety didn't disengage...  I thought that may be a bad thing in a SD situation...

Have fun!!!   I would recommend, if you're getting an OWB OC holster, that you seriously check out safariland ALS holsters...     I would also recommend you pick up a TLR-1 weapon light ($100) and get the light capable holster.

Check out opticsplanet.com for holsters.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
First handgun purchase
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 10:00:32 AM »
The XDM grip safety isn't exactly hard to push. I have a hard time seeing how you could not push it, hold the gun anything resembling properly, and pull the trigger. It's easier than a 1911 grip.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 04:34:04 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys!   I decided on the smith and Wesson and plopped some money down on one today!  Plan on picking it up when I get my bonus at the end if the month.  After talking with numerous people I decided that was the one for me. The Springfield is an extremely nice gun and I barely could decide between the 2. It finally came down to that the smith ans Wesson felt more comfortable in my hand and had a few features that I liked better. I purchased the 9mm that already has the crimson trace installed. Final price is right around the 770 range out the door.

If anybody is curious silver bullet has the Springfield on sale for 65 bucks off for Black Friday, which is an extremely good deal! 

Now on to finding a nice safe and picking out a holster and a couple more magazines!

Love mine in 9mm, regardless of what people say, it a fine self-defense round, is cheaper and plentiful.  I had Doug work on my trigger, well worth it, the difference is night and day, so much smoother and lighter.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline METL

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
The XDM grip safety isn't exactly hard to push. I have a hard time seeing how you could not push it, hold the gun anything resembling properly, and pull the trigger. It's easier than a 1911 grip.

Oh I agree it's totally easy to depress the button....   I'm just saying that there are times when your grip may not be perfect, or the angle you're holding it may not push the button all the way or whatever...   I did a lot of playing around with the XDsc that I had and there was ways that it would not engage the grip safety properly or fully...    Turned me off to the system.

Just pointing it out as food for thought.   Not saying i'ts crap.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: Re: First handgun purchase
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 11:46:53 AM »

Oh I agree it's totally easy to depress the button....   I'm just saying that there are times when your grip may not be perfect, or the angle you're holding it may not push the button all the way or whatever...   I did a lot of playing around with the XDsc that I had and there was ways that it would not engage the grip safety properly or fully...    Turned me off to the system.

Just pointing it out as food for thought.   Not saying i'ts crap.
Why not just pin the safety, then it would never allow what you described to happen?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
First handgun purchase
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »
Why not just pin the safety, then it would never allow what you described to happen?

You could always tie a rubber band around the grip and that would keep the safety engaged. A consideration when doing that is: the grip safety forces the seer to stay in place. If somehow the seer was pushed down while you had the safety rubber banded, It would cause the striker to move forward. At that point, the internal safety should stop the striker from hitting the chamber.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 10:23:40 PM »
Went and picked up the gun this morning.  Had to work today so I didnt get a chance to shoot it.  Picked up a cleaning kit, some targets, a nice safe, and some bullets.  Cant wait to go give it a try in the morning!  The old lady about wanted to murder me when she found out I was buying one, but when I brought it home she didnt want to put the thing down!!  I think shes more excited to shoot it than I am!!!

See everyone at Gander Mountain tomorrow!

I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 11:53:44 PM »
Congratulations.  How many rounds does it hold?

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 12:12:30 AM »
Looks like a Glock 27, if so it is 9 plus one in the pipe with a standard magazine, it may have a round extender to give it 10 or 11.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2012, 12:13:51 AM »
Looks like a Glock 27, if so it is 9 plus one in the pipe with a standard magazine, it may have a round extender to give it 10 or 11.

Umm, dude.  No.  It says "____" on the slide and it looks nothing like a Glock, other than it has a plastic frame.  Why don't you read the slide and try again? :)

A Glock 27 is visible in post #12 (smaller of the two)

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2012, 12:15:06 AM »
Umm, dude.  No.  It says "____" on the side and it looks nothing like a Glock, other than it has a plastic frame.  Why don't you read the slide and try again? :)

Quite correct, I only gave the pic a glance lol. Old eyes ain't what they used to be  :o
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »
Lol it's the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm compact.  It's got 2x 12round mags. Ordering a full size mag in the next couple days (17 round) with the x-grip. 
I'm also tempted to buy a full size mag and the Taylor freelance 170mm mag extension. That will turn my 17 round in to a 27 round.  I could have some fun with that ;)
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
We went and shot it.  It worked flawlessly!!  Put 100 rounds through it without any issues!  Thing is easy to handle, and is very accurate.  I could get used to this quite quick!!  Off to buy a few more boxes of ammo!!

Offline bigbob

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2012, 05:46:44 PM »
  I could not resist. this video cracks me up every time.

I only skimmed the thread but a few ill toss in my 2 cents.

I could not disagree more about getting a full size gun. a compact gun is way easier to conceal overall. the barrel is down your pants... barrel length doesn't matter really, but the length of the grip is what sticks out. In the pictures on the first page you are standing completely up right, I could put an 18'' shotgun down my pants and you would not see it until I moved. If you cant get the job done with the 15 rds in say a glock 19, then you are screwed anyways. I am a firm believer that the best gun, assuming you only have one, is the gun you cant see yourself leaving home without. open carry aside, you will probably be more apt to leave the house without your heavier, bigger full sized gun when its hot and you just toss a t shirt on and head out the door. as far as IWB to OWB, it is just as easy to hide in either if it is hoodie weather, and OTW is usually more comfy. to each their own, and this is a with all due respect. Not trying to start a pissing match just my thoughts.

Second, a 9mm is more than adequate. something like a 124grn p+ hollow point and your good to go. This is coming from a die hard .45 guy too. the 5.56 are military uses is a "small" round too. if you get a leg it wont matter if its a .50 bmg or a  .22lr.  and even with the additional rounds in your average 9mm pistol compared to its .45 counter part, the .45 is still gunna be heavier, and that makes a longer day to carry it around.

good luck on the purchase!

ETA:  .... then i finish skimming the thread and relies you already bought the gun haha. Enjoy!

Soulfyre65

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 10:56:44 PM »
Alright...I have to ask. Why the gripes against Ruger? My carry gun is the Ruger SR9C. I love the fit, finish, and comfort. The accuracy out of the box was dead on. I've put 3000+ rounds through it in less than a year. I got it for $399...of which made me happy...actually, I traded in my Springfield Armory XD-40 tactical(of which I hated) and payed maybe an extra $50. I am extremely happy with it. I just don't understand.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 11:01:03 PM »
Alright...I have to ask. Why the gripes against Ruger? My carry gun is the Ruger SR9C. I love the fit, finish, and comfort. The accuracy out of the box was dead on. I've put 3000+ rounds through it in less than a year. I got it for $399...of which made me happy...actually, I traded in my Springfield Armory XD-40 tactical(of which I hated) and payed maybe an extra $50. I am extremely happy with it. I just don't understand.
Because it's not an HK.

Soulfyre65

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 11:03:16 PM »
Good luck getting parts for an HK if anything breaks.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »
Good luck getting parts for an HK if anything breaks.

That's a big if.

Why would there be a hard time?

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 11:44:48 PM »

On March 30, 1989, Bill Ruger sent a letter to every member of the US Congress stating:

"The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining 'assault rifle' and 'semi-automatic rifles' is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could effectively implement these objectives."
William B. Ruger

For starters