Author Topic: First handgun purchase  (Read 20332 times)

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
Re: First handgun purchase
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 10:13:23 PM »
I would also avoid ruger in general. Some of my opinion on that is because of the quotes that came from their CEO during the AWB.

The Glock is a good choice and so is the XD. I have shot the S&W and it does not have a good feel to me. You may want to hold or even shoot each one to make your final pick. FYI most gun manufactures offer some steep discounts on guns if you are in any type of public service position. (LEO, EMS, Firefighter, teacher, etc..) If you are in such a profession you may want to look into it. I am a Paramedic and can get Glocks for $398.

Good luck with your decision and remember there is no shame in getting 2 or 3 if you just can't pick one.  ;)

Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 10:50:51 PM »

Good luck with your decision and remember there is no shame in getting 2 or 3 if you just can't pick one.  ;)

lol thats what I'm afraid of...  but i would definitely be getting my butt kicked by the old lady if i did that right away lol
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Raggs

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 10:53:44 PM »
I think with Silver Bullet and being able to rent the guns for 10 bucks it would be a perfect time to try them. Also if you tell them you want one of the three guns they might allow you to shoot them free, if you buy your own ammo. Worth a shot.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »
I think with Silver Bullet and being able to rent the guns for 10 bucks it would be a perfect time to try them. Also if you tell them you want one of the three guns they might allow you to shoot them free, if you buy your own ammo. Worth a shot.

i was gonna give all 4 of them a shot, but i left thinking that the 40 bucks saved from not shooting, would be able to go for the purchase of a gun..  after i left one of my friends told me that he had heard that if you do the 10 for 10 that if you end up buying, the refund you.  Not sure if its true or not, but iLl definitely be asking when I am ready to purchase...
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »
Make sure to check Silver Bullet's used case. According to their website, they currently have a full size M&P9. The only XD they have is a XD-45, but check the case as normally they have a few in the case that are not on their website. (http://www.silverbulletfirearms.com/index.php?view=category&catid=1&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=120)

As far as size goes, to each their own. TheQ has considerably more experience than I and is more comfortable working with a full size. When I OC, I normally carry a full size 1911 (big and heavy). However, there are times when I just want to be discreet and for that I went with a much smaller option. I have two tools for two different uses as opposed to one tool for two uses. The up side is each tool performs it's specific use better, but the down side is more cost, and I am unable to transition as easily. I do think I have a slightly smaller frame. I'm only 5'10" 185. I have no doubt Q is competent at concealing a larger firearm, but I'm not to his level yet.

As far as round count, I see this as another to each their own. When things get hairy, who doesn't want more rounds, but on the other hand more rounds equals more size and more weight. If those two things are going to make you less likely to carry, then they need to be considered. My XDs is a 5+1 (but in .45 instead of 9mm). The way I look at it, that's the same round count as a revolver and the chances of me needing more than a few rounds should things get hairy is very slim. Carry more rounds if you can, but make sure you carry first.

I hope some of this puts my views into perspective. That way they can be better applied or discarded as needed.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 08:59:35 AM »
... laser grip that I really like. That bumps the price up about 200 bucks but its something I could add down the road (right?).

Yes, but it will cost a little more. It is usually cheaper if you buy it factory-installed.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »
As for the refund of the 10 for 10, I have not had that experience. Could be someone messed up.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 09:47:03 AM »
Reason I'm looking at the compact versions is I do want the option to conceal. I held both versions of all the weapons and they all feel very comfortable in my hand, but I actually like the feel of the compact a little better.  Both the xdm and m&p have the larger clips that have extended grip if I wasn't concerned with concealing as well.

Magazine..... Sorry could't resist.
Shoot them, I've gone hunting for pistols and I "knew" what I wanted. Went to the store and was shown others in the same $ range and have bought something I thought I'd decided against because other people told me I don't want that. Heck my EDC is something that nobody had a good word for back when I bought it. I've bought and sold others since, but still have my Taurus 92.
BTW I can also carry IWB my full size , but then I'm full size.

Offline METL

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
I have no problems with my full size glock.  People that know I carry look for it and can't see it.... 

Don't worry about concealing.  The difference in side from the 17 to the 19 is NEXT TO NOTHING.

Only caveat on the M&P is the triggers SUCK.  See Doug at ATEi to get some trigger work done if you get the M&P.    (livonia and yes you can ship)

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 12:15:46 PM »
lol thats what I'm afraid of...  but i would definitely be getting my butt kicked by the old lady if i did that right away lol

'tis easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.   :)
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »
'tis easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.   :)

I'm gonna have to write that down!!!  That's a saying to live by!

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: Re: First handgun purchase
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »
I have no problems with my full size glock.  People that know I carry look for it and can't see it.... 

Don't worry about concealing.  The difference in side from the 17 to the 19 is NEXT TO NOTHING.

Only caveat on the M&P is the triggers SUCK.  See Doug at ATEi to get some trigger work done if you get the M&P.    (livonia and yes you can ship)
Did Doug move his shop?

Offline fozzy71

Re: Re: First handgun purchase
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »
Did Doug move his shop?

No, he is in Taylor (not Livonia) - http://ateiguns.com/contact/

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »
No, he is in Taylor (not Livonia) - http://ateiguns.com/contact/

Thanks
I wasn't sure if it was a typo or if he moved, I haven't talked to him in a few months.

Offline METL

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 11:47:22 AM »
Whoops... sorry, yeah I get all those 'burbs mixed up...   I think it's like right next to livonia...  :P

Anywho, if you get an M&P get with Doug fo sho.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 12:18:11 PM »
Whoops... sorry, yeah I get all those 'burbs mixed up...   I think it's like right next to livonia...  :P

Anywho, if you get an M&P get with Doug fo sho.

What exactly does he do to it?  Any idea how much it'd cost me?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 01:23:07 PM »
Check out this link for contact information:

http://ateiguns.com/contact/
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 03:56:15 PM »

Check out his website provided in Pat's link...

Pay particular attention to the gallery, the FAQ, and the Order....     full boat trigger job is $110...   dumbed down job is $60....

His slide serrations are awesome and very useful as well...

Offline bignaz

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »
First thing dont let the fan boys tell you what to buy.

First thing is whats your price range? Dont skimp on your first pistol its a great feeling to have a high quality pistol that you bought.

Second thing is screw brands. You need to get out and test them or atleast check the grip angles. A Sig is diff from a 1991 and a 1911 is diff from a clock. Glocks sit low Sigs sit a little higher. Clocking your eyes bring the pistol up you should be able to naturally line the sights up. If you have to correct it thats not the pistol for you. You want it to be a natural  feeling like its part of you.

Do you care about weight? Less weight more recoil. More weight less recoil easy to put a fallow up shot on target. Example my .357 sig, Sig P229 has less muzzle flip and recoil then a 9mm Glock. My sig is also much heavier. So polymer frame or metal.

Caliber. 9mm is cheap to shoot but i dont care what people say its pretty hard to drop someone in a defensive situation with a 9mm. Its a small round. .40 is a really good all around round. Its not to expensive has some nice stopping power. .45 is not all that great. Its heavy, slow and you magazine capacity will suffer.  I personalty use a .357 sig. Its a .40 s&w necked down to a 9mm. Its a hot little round with the accuracy of a 9mm. Expands great and hits like a ton of bricks. However it is expensive. Range ammo is about $25 for 50 . Most guns example my Sig P229 the difference between the capacities in 9mm and .40 or .357 sig is 1 round more on the 9mm.  Personaly i recamend .40 s&w for a first caliber. Not to expensive. Nice power, Not to bad on the recoil and in some guns the snap it has is pretty much not there.

Also i advice again crimson trace grips. I used 3 pairs on a P226, P229,  Glock 27, all 3 after some rounds would need to be zeroed.  After seeing that i would never rely on them other then hitting paper. With the right pistol for you and holster if you need to use it defensibly you will be able to "with some practice" draw from your holster fire a round off the hip and place it in a target why you bring your sights up. I dont advice doing it but in a life and death situation getting that first round out and on target as fast as you can may be the thing that saves you or another persons life.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys!   I decided on the smith and Wesson and plopped some money down on one today!  Plan on picking it up when I get my bonus at the end if the month.  After talking with numerous people I decided that was the one for me. The Springfield is an extremely nice gun and I barely could decide between the 2. It finally came down to that the smith ans Wesson felt more comfortable in my hand and had a few features that I liked better. I purchased the 9mm that already has the crimson trace installed. Final price is right around the 770 range out the door.

If anybody is curious silver bullet has the Springfield on sale for 65 bucks off for Black Friday, which is an extremely good deal! 

Now on to finding a nice safe and picking out a holster and a couple more magazines!