Author Topic: Anyone else hear the ads for a CPL hit piece coming on the news tonight?  (Read 7215 times)

Offline wayne

I have been hearing radio ads all day yesterday for a big news story on people carrying concealed weapons in Michigan coming today 11-21-12, I think it is on WNEM TV5 at 6pm.  I could be wrong, but it sounds like a hit piece designed to frighten the public about there being so many people carrying weapons and you never know who's lurking around the next corner...  I did a search and did not see anything on their site yet, but I will post a link later today when they release it.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Anyone else hear the ads for a CPL hit piece coming on the news tonight?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 09:33:35 AM »
I've not heard anything about this story. Please keep us informed.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Bronson

Re: Anyone else hear the ads for a CPL hit piece coming on the news tonight?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 11:30:37 AM »
you never know who's lurking around the next corner... 

If people would just OC then everyone would know who was armed  ;D

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »
I think Bronson has a good point.

Offline wayne

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 06:36:54 PM »
It was Bill Harris NBC 25 and below is the link to the story.  I think it was pretty even handed after all, more of a hard news type report and I didn't really see any bias on his part.  Why are these people in the CPL class shooting from like 6' from their target?  Yeah, I understand that most encounters will be at very close range statistically but I spend more time practicing long range so that at short range under pressure I will still be accurate...I digress...

http://www.minbcnews.com/news/story.aspx?list=194377&id=828390

Offline Raggs

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:14:03 AM »
6' with a .22

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »
These people aren't practicing. They are qualifying for their permits.

6 feet (looks more like 10') because the room isn't that large.

.22 because the backstop isn't that strong.

When I took the class for my CWL in Florida, the trainer had a utility trailer set up outside of the gun show building where each student shot at a target 10' away with a .22 as the shooting portion of the qualifications.

Also note that the revolvers are all the same, because they are all provided by the trainer.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 12:43:33 PM »
Pat, when did they start shooting to get a permit in FL? I know in the early 90's we had a short class (about 4 hours) and that was it for the course, get your prints taken, mail the envelope and wait a few weeks for your permit to arrive in the mail.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
Pat, when did they start shooting to get a permit in FL? I know in the early 90's we had a short class (about 4 hours) and that was it for the course, get your prints taken, mail the envelope and wait a few weeks for your permit to arrive in the mail.
Just got the Florida permit about 3-4 years ago. Process hasn't changed. Did mine at a gun show. Signed up in the morning. Walked through the show. Took class that afternoon. Lecture was about 2 hours. They had a walk through process set up going from table to table for each step. Start to finish less than 4 hours for sure. Permit received at my Michigan address a couple weeks later. It got there before I did.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline wayne

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 10:13:47 PM »
I don't want to rain on the parade, but that's a little frightening to me.  I'd like to see people get a little more extensive training and experience with a weapon like they will actually be carrying.  Some people were not raised with a gun in their hands like I was, then I was very fortunate to have four years of extensive legal and tactical training while in college working private security.  Not saying everyone needs that level of training and experience, but I personally don't want to be anywhere near someone who's entire experience is 4-8hr of mostly classroom training when they decide they need to engage a threat. 

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Anyone else hear the ads for a CPL hit piece coming on the news tonight?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 11:24:35 PM »
I don't want to rain on the parade, but that's a little frightening to me.  I'd like to see people get a little more extensive training and experience with a weapon like they will actually be carrying.  Some people were not raised with a gun in their hands like I was, then I was very fortunate to have four years of extensive legal and tactical training while in college working private security.  Not saying everyone needs that level of training and experience, but I personally don't want to be anywhere near someone who's entire experience is 4-8hr of mostly classroom training when they decide they need to engage a threat.

I'd like to see no training required by law.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 11:09:42 AM »

I agree. In fact I'd like to see 3-4 years of mandatory training to operate a refrigerator. Or to drive a car. Or even run a lawn mower. These are all deadly property in need of more government oversight.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Just got the Florida permit about 3-4 years ago. Process hasn't changed. Did mine at a gun show. Signed up in the morning. Walked through the show. Took class that afternoon. Lecture was about 2 hours. They had a walk through process set up going from table to table for each step. Start to finish less than 4 hours for sure. Permit received at my Michigan address a couple weeks later. It got there before I did.
We had a instructor come to a friends house for the course back then, it might have been 2 hours I can't remember for sure.
We didn't shoot is why I wondered, I can't remember if any guns were present for "instruction" purposes or not.

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 12:03:13 AM »
I was reading the flint journal about the senate in mi. passing their version of new concealed carry rules. Extra training beyond the license requirement and more range time will allow cc in schools and other pfz's. The part I didn't like so much was the open carry in schools and other pfz's would be prohibited. Can they corral our right in public places like that? Anybody have any opinion?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 12:05:33 AM »
I was reading the flint journal about the senate in mi. passing their version of new concealed carry rules. Extra training beyond the license requirement and more range time will allow cc in schools and other pfz's. The part I didn't like so much was the open carry in schools and other pfz's would be prohibited. Can they corral our right in public places like that? Anybody have any opinion?

See discussion here:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,2377.0.html

Discussion is continued here:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,2397.0.html

Ammo Dump membership is required, you can find out more about the free ammo dump membership here:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,2001.0.html