Author Topic: Carry in a vehicle without a CPL  (Read 10800 times)

Offline noahp87

• First Name (Displayed): Noah
Carry in a vehicle without a CPL
« on: November 22, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »
So my buddy just sent me a text saying that you can carry in your vehicle without a CPL. He said his uncle told him he could "open carry" in a vehicle without a CPL. I told him as long as he has his CPL he wont have to worry about anything except for the PFZs and other areas that you cannot take your gun. Also do we have a law for extended clips? Such as how many rounds we can have on us?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Carry in a vehicle without a CPL
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 02:41:28 PM »
So my buddy just sent me a text saying that you can carry in your vehicle without a CPL. He said his uncle told him he could "open carry" in a vehicle without a CPL. I told him as long as he has his CPL he wont have to worry about anything except for the PFZs and other areas that you cannot take your gun. Also do we have a law for extended clips? Such as how many rounds we can have on us?

YOUR BUDDY IS WRONG!!!
AND SO IS HIS UNCLE!!!

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 02:44:55 PM »
What he said.  It is against the law to carry in any fashion inside a vehicle without a CPL. There is no magazine number of rounds limitation.

Offline noahp87

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 02:50:42 PM »
Thats what I was trying to tell him but his uncle said its against the 2nd amendment, thats what his uncle learned in his CPL class apparently. Not sure where he took it but apparently his instructor doesn't really know the gun laws. Ok, thats what I thought didn't think we had a law about about the ammo.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »
Thats what I was trying to tell him but his uncle said its against the 2nd amendment, thats what his uncle learned in his CPL class apparently. Not sure where he took it but apparently his instructor doesn't really know the gun laws. Ok, thats what I thought didn't think we had a law about about the ammo.
Glad to know that you are aware of the law. If your buddy wants to do that, I would advise staying away from him in any vehicles so you can avoid any criminal charges.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline noahp87

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
Yeah, glad i actually paid attention in my CPL class when I took it. I just got mine not too long ago. If he does try that I plan on being far away when he does try that, because I definitely do not need any criminal charges brought up against me!

Offline Bronson

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 01:59:07 AM »

It could be that his uncle is incapable of paying attention or learning.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Kelly

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »
How lucky am I to find the perfect signature test within an hour of joining?
I should but a lottery ticket.
YOUR BUDDY IS WRONG!!! AND SO IS HIS UNCLE!!!- CV67PAT

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 12:22:41 AM »
How lucky am I to find the perfect signature test within an hour of joining?
I should but a lottery ticket.
Just so you know, there's no signature testing required. But it is good to know you found your signature test perfect.

Welcome to MOC.  :)

Offline Kelly

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 03:53:43 PM »
Just so you know, there's no signature testing required. But it is good to know you found your signature test perfect.

Welcome to MOC.  :)

Signature "text" and "buy" a lottery ticket...
I'd blame auto correct on my phone but truth is, I just have a hard time seeing words that small at my age :lol
Thank you.
YOUR BUDDY IS WRONG!!! AND SO IS HIS UNCLE!!!- CV67PAT

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 04:13:17 PM »
Signature "text" and "buy" a lottery ticket...
I'd blame auto correct on my phone but truth is, I just have a hard time seeing words that small at my age :lol
Thank you.
That's why I used the giant red font. It was important enough to not be missed by anyone.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »
To the OP print out the following laws at the link which I included, then show them to both your friend and your uncle.

MCL 750.227- Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227

MCL 750.231a - Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-231a

It is ILLEGAL to possess a firearm in the passenger compartment of a vehicle, to include openly carrying a firearm (the moment you enter your vehicle, even OC, your firearm is considered concealed by law) unless you possess a valid CPL(MCL 750.227).  If someone does NOT possess a CPL they are REQUIRED by law to transport their firearm unloaded and in a case designed for the transportation of a firearm (MCL 750.231a)

Please do not take this lightly and please do not just let this go, you NEED to take this opportunity to really educate your friend and his uncle, otherwise their poor information could lead someone to a felony charge, the loss of their rights, and potentially jail time.   

It is imperative that you read the laws and UNDERSTAND the laws so that you do not accidentally lose your rights.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 01:28:09 AM »

It is ILLEGAL to possess a firearm in the passenger compartment of a vehicle, to include openly carrying a firearm (the moment you enter your vehicle, even OC, your firearm is considered concealed by law) unless you possess a valid CPL(MCL 750.227).  If someone does NOT possess a CPL they are REQUIRED by law to transport their firearm unloaded and in a case designed for the transportation of a firearm (MCL 750.231a)

It is imperative that you read the laws and UNDERSTAND the laws so that you do not accidentally lose your rights.

not to thread jack, but how  would i appropriately carry a handgun on a sportbike without getting in trouble?  I plan on getting a concealed permit, but if i need to to transport before that, there isnt much room for a case in my little trunk area... 
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 01:36:09 AM »
not to thread jack, but how  would i appropriately carry a handgun on a sportbike without getting in trouble?  I plan on getting a concealed permit, but if i need to to transport before that, there isnt much room for a case in my little trunk area...
Unloaded and separated from ammunition in a locked container designed for a pistol.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 01:48:33 AM »
Unloaded and separated from ammunition in a locked container designed for a pistol.

I guess what im trying to say is i dont know if there is enough room for a case.  I might be able to squeeze one in, but then would i be allowed to carry the ammo in a backpack?

I can squeeze 2 20oz pop bottles into the little trunk on it and thats pushing it.  And thats really the only thing i drive once it hits about 40 outside

(not my bike but picture for reference)
http://grotechlandscape.com/myprofile/CBR600RR/trunk.jpg
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 08:35:33 AM »
I guess what im trying to say is i dont know if there is enough room for a case.  I might be able to squeeze one in, but then would i be allowed to carry the ammo in a backpack?

I can squeeze 2 20oz pop bottles into the little trunk on it and thats pushing it.  And thats really the only thing i drive once it hits about 40 outside

(not my bike but picture for reference)
http://grotechlandscape.com/myprofile/CBR600RR/trunk.jpg

Options include:

* Start walking more
* drive a different vehicle

You must have another vehicle? I can't imagine you plan to ride your crotch rocket all winter?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 09:39:20 AM »
I can't imagine you plan to ride your crotch rocket all winter?

I rode a Gold Wing all winter once.  Only dropped it twice.   ;D

Driving a motorcycle through a snowstorm sucks.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 11:17:50 AM »
I have another vehicle but like I said, once it hits about 40 degrees outside I ride my bike almost exclusively.

I've seen numerous posts on other forums about people putting their handgun in a lockbox and carrying it in a backpack and locking the ammo in the trunk of the bike, or people squeezing the box into the trunk of the bike and carrying ammo in their pockets. Even seen a few who say they open carry on a motorcycle. I'm just curious which would be the best option or if I'm screwed no matter what?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
We have a Forum area to ask a lawyer,I'll just say you're dealing with gray.

Inaccessible to the occupants...whatever that means is up for police, lawyers, judges, and juries to decide. The consequences are a 5 year felony with a lifetime loss of rights.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 12:14:41 PM »
I have another vehicle but like I said, once it hits about 40 degrees outside I ride my bike almost exclusively.

I've seen numerous posts on other forums about people putting their handgun in a lockbox and carrying it in a backpack and locking the ammo in the trunk of the bike, or people squeezing the box into the trunk of the bike and carrying ammo in their pockets. Even seen a few who say they open carry on a motorcycle. I'm just curious which would be the best option or if I'm screwed no matter what?

Unloaded and separated from the ammo means no ammo in the gun whatsoever.
Placed in a locked container designed for the pistol means a case that has a lock on it.
Then use an elastic strap, commonly refereed to as a bungee cord, to secure the locked case to the motorcycle. I myself would not open carry on a motorcycle without a CPL. Nor would I carry inside of a backpack on my person while on the motorcycle. If I didn'r have a CPL, I would personally be comfortable with transporting the pistol in a locked container designed for a pistol inside of the backpack strapped to the motorcycle.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 01:15:45 PM »
Unloaded and separated from the ammo means no ammo in the gun whatsoever.
Placed in a locked container designed for the pistol means a case that has a lock on it.
Then use an elastic strap, commonly refereed to as a bungee cord, to secure the locked case to the motorcycle. I myself would not open carry on a motorcycle without a CPL. Nor would I carry inside of a backpack on my person while on the motorcycle. If I didn'r have a CPL, I would personally be comfortable with transporting the pistol in a locked container designed for a pistol inside of the backpack strapped to the motorcycle.

Exactly the answer I was looking for.  I shouldn't have to worry about being pulled over anyway but if someone where to see me putting the gun (in a locked case) into my backpack (and my ammo in the locked trunk) and say something, if that would be an instant trip to the slammer or if that would be acceptable as there is no other "storage compartments" on the bike.

As for open carrying on the bike I completely understand about that being a grey area and don't plan on doing that unless someone proves it to be completely leagal to do so!
Thanks for the help

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 06:20:01 PM »
You can carry a loaded firearm anywhere, anytime, anyway in the U.S. but, you have to have a lot of money to buy a Great Lawyer to defend your 2nd Amendment right to Keep and Bear Arms which shall not be Infringed" Now to answer your Question in the realm of the Current Printed Laws (Which most are Unconstitutional) one stands out...Sections 2 (MCL 28.422) and 9 (MCL 28.429). The only way to carry a loaded fire arm in a Vehicle without a CPL is to carry a Black Powder Pistol, It does not fall under the the CPL requirements. That is to say you can Purchase a BP Pistol at age 18 from a FFL dealer, no purchase permit is required, and as the law is written, you do not need a CPL to transport it, or carry it. The state and Feds do not recognize it as a Fire Arm. Since it is not considered a Firearm it does not fall under the CPL laws, and can be carried loaded in a Car/Truck with out a CPL. Now that being said some here and almost all LEO' and Lawyers will say the last part is grey so research it for yourself.
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!