Author Topic: New guy from Jenison  (Read 4072 times)

Offline fsr402

New guy from Jenison
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »
New guy here. 38 years old, married and living on the west side of GR.
Taking a CPL class this weekend so hope to have the CPL sometime in the spring of '13.
I OCed my 454 Casull a few times while hunting in the UP years ago but other then that not at all. Looking to get a XD40 or XDM40 to OC and CC with.

I have learned a lot here already. Some of it makes me mad.
Back in 95 I made a dumb choice. Nothing bad really, just dumb. I decided to take a "short cut" between to commercial parking lots. Drove my truck across about 10 feet of grass. Didn't think anything of it.
Later that night I got a call from my sister saying the cops were looking for me. I had no idea what they wanted (being that I forgot all about driving over the grass). So I call the local PO and they say they would like me to come in and talk with them. I went there and it was not cool. I was 20 at the time and did not know jack about my rights. Alone in the station with one hot headed young LEO, he intimidated me into writing a letter to the courts about my actions of "turffing" the grass.
Well about 6 months go by and a LEO shows up at my door with a bench warrant.  For malicious destruction of property. Spent a few hours in lockup until my dad bailed me out. Went to court and ended up with accepting a bargain of a careless driving ticket over 90 days and loss of my DL.

Man if I knew then what I know now none of that would have gone the way it did. Of course I also would not have taken the short cut either. lol

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: New guy from Jenison
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:20:10 AM »
If we all were as smart in our youth as we (hopefully) are now. Alas...

Welcome from Okemos. :)

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »
Welcome from Cutlerville
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
New guy from Jenison
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:47:23 PM »
Be sure to checkout the Seminar/ Lunch this Saturday!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline fsr402

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »
I really want to but I'm taking my CPL class that day at Port City Pistol. So I wont be able to make it this time. :(
I will be wearing a MOC shirt though.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:38:15 AM »
I really want to but I'm taking my CPL class that day at Port City Pistol. So I wont be able to make it this time. :(
I will be wearing a MOC shirt though.
Being new to OC you should read this thread:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,25.0.html

Please understand the information completely and feel free to ask questions before you continue to OC in public -- especially since you don't have a CPL.

If you think you have an understanding of the laws, let us know and we will ask questions to test you.  If you don't have a CPL it is SUPER important you understand the law.

I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).