Author Topic: To Promote at Gun shows that ban guns or not  (Read 16248 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
To Promote at Gun shows that ban guns or not
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »
This topic came up during our leadership meeting this evening.  The topic was droning on and there were impassioned opinions on each side.  For the sake of getting on with the business of the meeting I asked people to take the discussion to the Forum.  Well, here's the thread, discuss -- someone start!

Topic: Should we (Michigan Open Carry, Inc.) go to gun shows and get a table to promote our organization if said gun shows don't permit the lawful carry of a holstered, loaded handgun(open or concealed) without unloading the gun and zip tying the trigger or otherwise disabling the firearm?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: To Promote at Gun shows that ban guns or not
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:05:10 PM »
No, because when you try to educate folks that it is wrong to have a gun show without guns, they look at you and say "I met you at that type of location".

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 12:09:13 AM »
Yep, I was schooled tonight. "NO COMPROMISE, NO COMPROMISE" yet every one of us "compromises" just by following the law. Compromises from what carry should be, that being Constitutional carry. That being said, I offered the idea up to try and gain membership (being down what, 13 members this month?). So I will not delve into this venue again as so many are so vehemently opposed to it. I will focus on other areas to try to gain memberships. Gun clubs were mentioned, will look into it, maybe the craft shows I jokingly commented on might bea  good idea too. After all, isn't reloading a craft of sorts?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
To Promote at Gun shows that ban guns or not
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 12:16:18 AM »
Yep, I was schooled tonight. "NO COMPROMISE, NO COMPROMISE" yet every one of us "compromises" just by following the law. Compromises from what carry should be, that being Constitutional carry. That being said, I offered the idea up to try and gain membership (being down what, 13 members this month?). So I will not delve into this venue again as so many are so vehemently opposed to it. I will focus on other areas to try to gain memberships. Gun clubs were mentioned, will look into it, maybe the craft shows I jokingly commented on might bea  good idea too. After all, isn't reloading a craft of sorts?

Month over month membership is less significant than year over year....

Most businesses measure year over year performance.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:32:44 AM »
If it is so useless a piece of data then why mention it every month at the meetings? Either way, if anyone else wants to pursue trying to get members at gun shows, more power to them, I will focus on other venues instead.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 12:49:45 AM »
I forgot this was the fourth/last Tuesday.  Someone really should check into my MOC member emails, because I am not getting them!

Without having the benefit of hearing the discussion earlier, I vote yes.  I think the benefits outweigh the live-carry issue, and we can plainly state what our position is.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 12:56:13 AM »
I forgot this was the fourth/last Tuesday.  Someone really should check into my MOC member emails, because I am not getting them!

Without having the benefit of hearing the discussion earlier, I vote yes.  I think the benefits outweigh the live-carry issue, and we can plainly state what our position is.

Ahh refreshing to see someone who sees the light! As has been said about other issues such as legislation, baby steps.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:54 AM »
I have no idea about the process of displaying at a gun show, except to pay to go in. But is there an ability to set up outside of the restricted areas?

If MOC could set up outside there would be access to all people going including those who would turn around at the door when asked to disarm.

Offline METL

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »
Aren't there shows that allow legal carry?   Just have a booth at that show....

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 11:33:06 AM »
Aren't there shows that allow legal carry?   Just have a booth at that show....

Yes, there are. JJ Sports allows carry in their shows, so it's not really an insurance issue.

That being said, I support membership drives in shows that do not allow carry; it serves multiple services.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 11:58:07 AM »
Perhaps getting into restricting shows and educating more people on how/why the show restricts, might help to increase pressure on said restricting shows to not restrict. As a side benefit to increased membership of course.

Overall, I'm not sure either way, I just wanted to bring the point up.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »
Perhaps getting into restricting shows and educating more people on how/why the show restricts, might help to increase pressure on said restricting shows to not restrict.

I will tell you that there are a number of gun-owners that do not want live carry at gun shows (I am not one of them).  This same topic is being discussed on another board and it has been brought up that there are a lot of numbskulls that attend these shows.  You can tell by how many people are continually getting swept by pistols and rifles across the show!

Offline Bronson

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »
I say yes.  You gotta recruit where the possible members are and there's a bunch of them wandering around gun shows.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
This thread needs a poll at the top. Add 1 more to the yes pile.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »
Added a poll so we can see the for or against votes.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »
I will tell you that there are a number of gun-owners that do not want live carry at gun shows (I am not one of them).  This same topic is being discussed on another board and it has been brought up that there are a lot of numbskulls that attend these shows.  You can tell by how many people are continually getting swept by pistols and rifles across the show!

Same goes for gunshops... you can't fix stupid... then you gotta remember, this nitwits drove there in cars. The drive to the show is statistically more dangerous.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »
Same goes for gunshops... you can't fix stupid... then you gotta remember, this nitwits drove there in cars. The drive to the show is statistically more dangerous.

Hey there, dont go bringing your stats and facts around here. Guns are scary, cars aren't.

Offline METL

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
Hey there, dont go bringing your stats and facts around here. Guns are scary, cars aren't.

No to thread jack too bad... but I always wonder why people go around all worried "that the guy with the gun will shoot them" when they don't worry that "the guy with the car will run them over as they walk in the road"... 

Seriously....  SAME FLIPPIN THING.   You put your trust in that guy when you're on the cross walk... but you don't put your trust in teh guy with the legally owned, constitutionally protected firearm?

The only thing we have to fear is FEAR ITSELF...  sheesh.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 11:12:37 PM »
So far seeing more for than against. Will the board now concede to looking into setting up at gun shows?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »
So far seeing more for than against. Will the board now concede to looking into setting up at gun shows?

I found a gun show in Lake Orion that supports lawful carry.  We'll be working with them for their next show in March.