General Category > Announcements

A statement from the leadership of Michigan Open Carry on the Passage of SB 59

<< < (11/11)

Rocket8686:
I have personally Open carried in McLaren Hospital in Mt.Clemens Michigan, St, Johns St. Clair County, as well as Henry Ford Urgent Care centers though out macomb County.

Stadiums I have carried in are College Campuses as in Adrian, Eastern,Central as well as Midland for drag races. All of which have no problem when i showed up. I was even Open carrying at a Tigers Game In Comerica Park this 2012 season. Fully open and visible I was granted access, and walked pass Security who just Nodded! I never asked for permission they just Took my Ticket, Seen I had it and let me through.

I have carried on other campuses when I was in College Visiting or during Sporting events. They would tell me its not permitted and to keep it locked up while on this Campus. Or if i was openly carrying and asked to leave I do so and never return to that place ever again.

TheQ:

--- Quote from: Rocket8686 on November 30, 2012, 03:06:49 PM ---Im not gonna make a huge list of every store i go to that i Open Carry. If they are licensed under Michigan Liquor License you cant Conceal carry in them! But I can Open carry in them. Taking that right away has no reasoning what so ever.

--- End quote ---

Ahh!  Now we get to the bottom of your confusion maybe!  A store (let's say Meijer) is a zone that's off limits in MCL 750.234d.  They are not an MCL 28.425o zone.  MCL 750.234d is NOT changed by this legislation.  Ergo, IANAL, you'll still be able to OC at Meijer (or Walmart, or Speedway, etc.) AFTER SB 59 is signed into law.

I hope this clears up your confusion? :)

TheQ:

--- Quote from: Rocket8686 on November 30, 2012, 03:23:28 PM ---That list is no different, ad under MCL 28.425o You can currently Open Carry in them with a valid CPL.

--- End quote ---

The list IS different!

MCL 750.234d prohibits any place that is license to sell alcohol.

MCL 28.425o prohibits any place that is a "bar or tavern whose primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic beverages by the glass"

Meijer DOES fit under the 750.234d umbrella but it ISN"T a part of the MCL 28.425o umbrella.  This is a common new person misunderstanding, no worries :)

You may wish to do some reading here to get a better understanding of the current laws so that way you'll better understand how the new law will impact them before you form and express further opinions.

TheQ:
Rocket8686: Please PM me when you've had a better chance to understand the laws before you start posting and making more confusion for others :)

TheQ:
To those of you who came out tonight, thank you for coming and I hope everyone who came now has a better understanding of why things were done than they understood before....even if they don't agree with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version