Author Topic: [Long] The Case for More Guns  (Read 3001 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
[Long] The Case for More Guns
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:27:12 AM »
How do we reduce gun crime and Aurora-style mass shootings when Americans already own nearly 300 million firearms? Maybe by allowing more people to carry them.

A liberal revisits gun control.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/12/the-case-for-more-guns-and-more-gun-control/309161/?single_page=true

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: [Long] The Case for More Guns
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:40:11 AM »
There was some scattered fail and misinformation in that article.  Just skimming for inaccuracies I see:

"wearing bullet-resistant armor on much of his body"

Um, no, the gunman wore the firearms equivalent of a fishing vest.  He wore no ballistic armor, no bullet-proof vest, nothing like that at all.

"The university [of Colorado] has responded by requiring students who own guns to move to a specified housing complex."

Um, no.  They are offering a new dorm for weapons owners, but they are not requiring them to live there.

"The chairman of the faculty assembly, a physics professor named Jerry Peterson, told the Boulder Daily Camera, “My own personal policy in my classes is if I am aware that there is a firearm in the class—registered or unregistered, concealed or unconcealed—the class session is immediately canceled."

And the university responded by telling the professor that he will NOT do that and if he does he will be administratively dealt with.

On the other hand, there were some great things the writer included, such as:

When a UC prof whined that there will blood on the quad, the writer pointed out that concealed carry has been allowed at Colorado State since 2003, and there have been no problems, no violent incidents involving CCW holders, and that crime is down.

He also mentioned a sheriff that publicly stated: "I’m not going to violate a citizen’s right to self-defense because someone else has an emotional feeling about guns."

All in all, not a bad article, especially from a liberal.