Author Topic: Verizon Wireless: Asked to leave my pistol in my car  (Read 8835 times)

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
Verizon Wireless: Asked to leave my pistol in my car
« on: October 08, 2012, 08:33:35 PM »
I would upload the audio but the store was loud because it was busy so it doesnt make for easy listening, but I did transcribe it so here is how it happened.  I went into the store, the same store I've frequented for almost 2 years, looking to have someone help me put a screen protector on my phone.  I was there for about 15 minutes before I was approached...

Manager: Sir, I would have to ask that you take your pistol and put it in your car please.

Me: Is it company policy…or…

Manager:… Yeah definitely, its one of those things where its definitely not safe for my employees or my other customers in the store so I’m going to have to ask that you please put that in your car.

Me: ok…well have I done anything to make you feel that I would be unsafe with my firearm?

Manager: No, but at the same time..

Me: ..You do realize open carry is lawful in the state of Michigan right?

Manager: At the same time, yes, I definitely understand that…um I do have other customers, I don’t expect you to act…but I…but like I said for the safety of my employees I would appreciate it if you put it in your car.

Me: Oh, alright, that’s cool, so for the safety of your customers and employees, I’ll sacrifice my personal protection…I’ll just go somewhere else, you have a good one.

Me: Oh, actually, can I get your name and the number of the store and the number for corporate so I can make a complaint?

Manager:  You want my store..yeah.. I didn’t expect to make a big deal out of it..

Me: ..Yep, I just want to make a complaint

Manager leaves and comes back with his card

Me: Whos the store manager here?

Manager: I’m actually the store manager here.

Me: Ok, and whos your boss?

Manager: Um my boss is…uh I can get your name and number and have him reach out to you if you’d like?

Me: Yeah, I’ve been coming up here for well over…well almost two years now and I’ve never had a problem

Manager: Yeah, again I just…Like I said, would like that you not bring it in here.

Manager takes my name and phone number and I leave.

I sent in a customer survery to Verizon, rating my likelyhood of recommending them to friends or family as a 1 and I used almost all of my 2000 character limit to express my disappointment in this. The site said a manager or someone may contact me shortly and I'm hoping they do cause I have an earful for them. 

If you are in Battle Creek do not go to the Verizon store at 6233 Beckley Rd/ B Dr. N.  Or better yet if you are, contact them, or Mr. Ryan Haley who is the manager quoted above at Ryan.Haley@verizonwireless.com to express your feelings about this situation.  In my customer survey I mentioned that if this issue is not resolved I will not be renewing my contract with Verizon and I would urge others not to as well.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Verizon Wireless: Asked to leave my pistol in my car
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »
FWIW, the one time I was at AT&T I didn't have a problem.  Also I've never had a problem at my numerous visits to Best Buy.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:57:27 PM »
I believe the sprint stores around here (K-zoo Portage) are no guns also.
I hope it works out in the only way that makes sense.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:21:39 PM »
I was in the verizon store here in Flint with no issues about 3 months ago and also the Best Buy. Sounds like more of a personal preference rather than store policy. Keep us posted.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »
It is company policy IIRC.  I use Verizon but haven't been in a store since long before I started carrying.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:32:54 PM »
This guy seemed like he was probably the anti gun type, especially after he said he didnt think I would be unsafe but he still wanted me to put it in my car for "safety reasons"

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 09:38:19 PM »
There are tons of threads about it on OCDO.

Here is one - http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?89974-Verizon-Wireless-reserves-the-right-to-refuse-access-to-customers-if-they-bear-arms

Search google for
Code: [Select]
verizon sign site:opencarry.org if you want to see others.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 05:11:49 PM »
The actual manager of this particular store called me, he said verizons policy is to follow the law of the state they are in.  The manager that confronted me was from a different store all together.  The real manager said he would talk to the gentleman and make sure he understood what state law is and that verizons policy is to adhere to state law.  I told him I was told by the replacement manager that it was verizons policy to disallow firearms in the store and that I didnt appreciate the misinformation and he apologized for that.

I also told him about MOC and my position on the board and said I was going to be setting up a seminar here in Battle Creek and that I would like to use this as an opportunity to educate his employees about OC to avoid any further scenarios like this and he said he would monitor these forums for the date and time and let his employees know in case they want to attend.

He also gave me the green light to continue carrying for my personal protection in this particular store  ;D

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »
Alrighty!!!!
Good to know

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 06:08:44 PM »
Good news.  I guess I don't need to consider a new provider when my contract expires next spring.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »
The only issue I had was that he said if a customer complains then they would ask that you leave it in your vehicle, every time he mentioned it I said that a better way to handle that situation is instead of denying one customer their means of protection you could simply explain to the other customer that it is a lawful activity.

But it seems as though the situation was resolved, we'll find out when I go back up there on Wednesday for the assistance I originally was seeking.  I do appreciate that he contacted me and is going to look into the matter and speak with the original manager about the issue at hand.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 07:54:38 PM »
Good to hear. Thanks for the update.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 11:44:27 PM »
 Great Job Carry On. :)
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline grampajeep

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 10:02:13 PM »
I wish we could get a letter from coporate to the effect that they follow the state law. We in Ohio have been trying to for quite some time to no sucsess.

If you get anything from them in writing please let us know down here.

Gerry

Offline bagz013

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »
Congrats on winning the "battle" bud!!
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 01:38:48 PM »
Sprint said all phone stores do not allow guns, the corporate Sprint stores in my area are now posted. If you get something in writing from version saying they follow state law please post it so I can give it to sprint.

Offline Ryan182

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 05:43:54 PM »
I haven't had issues in the couple verizon stores I have been into either, nor the best buy in portage. I use to frequent the Sprint store at the corner of west main and drake in K-zoo untill I got my new phone a month or so ago and came back a few days later to have my contacts switched and noticed a no-guns sign on my way out they had to of just put up, nothing was ever said while I have been there though.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »
Went back in there today, a little nervous about it just because I wanted to avoid any further confrontation, but I didnt have any problems.  I wasnt in there for long, just long enough to look at a phone I might be interested in.  Guy named Karl helped me out, not sure if anyone noticed my sidearm or not, but he was very helpful and answered my questions.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 06:40:22 PM »
I've not had any problems at the Verizon store in Okemos.  I don't go in there often, but I have been in there several times recently to get my wife an iPhone and switch my aircard over to a new MyFi.