Author Topic: CPL class today  (Read 18383 times)

Offline fsr402

CPL class today
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:46:12 PM »
Took a CPL class today at Port City Pistol in Muskegon.
I feel it was a good class and well run, although I don't think I made any friends of the instructors or the police chef by wearing a MOC shirt. lol
The first speaker seemed fine and talked about how you don't have to have it concealed and if someone sees your gun don't worry about it.
The 2nd guy not so much. He felt the need to tell us a story about how he and his father were detained for 45+ minutes when someone seen his fathers gun while they were eating lunch and called the cops. Of course he did not say when this was either. Someone asked about OC and he flat out lied and said that you MUST have them concealed at all times and that no one can see them. He even went as far as to say that you CAN NOT OC on private property like at Meijer's (looking right at me) ... I kept my mouth shut and just let it go.
I did have a guy at lunch ask me if I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut when he was speaking. I said I did a little but I did not want to be "that guy" nor did I want a 20 minute debate about the laws and so on. I answered a bunch of his and his wife's and told them to check this place out to learn more.

We then had the range time with their supplied MK3's and ammo. Shot 60 rounds or so with different drills. Had a good time with that.
Took the "test" in between the last two rounds of the range then headed back to the class room.

The last speaker was the police chef and he did the legal part of it. He was good but again, anytime something about OC came up he was looking right at me.. One point he said something like "yes, you are allowed to open carry. There is nothing we can do about it but PLEASE, don't do it. Someone WILL call and we WILL have to show up and it's not any fun for any of us."
I sat there shaking my head because less then 5 minutes before this he was talking about southern Texas and how every where you look someone has a gun on their hip and that people there are so used to it that no one ever notices it.
I so wanted to speak up right then about that. But then I remembered that I still did not have the signed paper from them yet and didn't want any problems.

I'll try to get the papers filed Monday and maybe if I'm lucky after the new year, I'll be all ready to carry whatever way I want.   

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: CPL class today
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »
he was talking about southern Texas and how every where you look someone has a gun on their hip and that people there are so used to it that no one ever notices it.

OC is illegal in Texas.    I wouldn't have kept my mouth shut about that or the other things you noticed.  But I'm like that.  :)  It never affected my grades at university (that I could tell).

But thanks for the post.  Glad at least you knew the truth.   8)

Offline fsr402

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:13:31 PM »
I actually did not know OC was illegal in Texas. I may have said something had I known that.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
CPL class today
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »
Where did you take the class?

What were the instructors names?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
I actually did not know OC was illegal in Texas. I may have said something had I known that.

Yes, OC is illegal in six states (and D.C.)  Believe it or not Texas and Florida are two (crazy, right?)  I bet you can guess a couple of others: Illinois and New York.  The other two you may not guess are Arkansas and South Carolina.

Oh, major kudos for wearing an MOC shirt to your CPL class. 

Offline fsr402

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »
It was at Port City Pistols in Muskegon. The first speaker was Greg Meier, the 2nd was Mark (Wiseman I think his last name is). There was a girl that spoke after him about defending your home and gun storage and how to set up your house to be easily protected but I don't recall her name and I can't find any info online that would give it to me. The Police chef I never got his name. Everyone that knew him was just calling him "chef" and I was in the last group on the range so by the time I got back into the class room he had already started speaking.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
CPL class today
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 10:20:25 PM »
Mind documenting your experience in the CPL class sticky in this forum?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline backenj

• First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 11:50:52 PM »
I took my class at Port City also. Was told the same thing about OC. Cops will be called, blah blah blah. If it was the same LEO that was at my class it was Rodger Doctor. He is a retired chief from Ottawa Co. Old guy, on the larger size? I did mine in April.  FYI, the gun board meets on the third Tuesday of the month. I put my application in on the third Monday, got a post card in the mail the next week on Tuesday or Wednesday to pick up my CPL on Friday at the county building.

Offline lljj

• MOC Member
  • Peter had a sword I have a 45 be blessed
  • First Name (Displayed): jacob
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 01:33:57 AM »
wow it took just that long that's cool and my cpl class he didn't want me to oc but he said he does some times
open carrying for life can't steal my freedom

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 02:17:22 AM »
It's bad enough we have the general public thinking all sorts of incorrect things about firearms carry, but we also have to worry about firearms carriers themselves being filled with wrong information and "knowledge" of laws that don't exist by incompetent and unqualified instructors.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 06:36:51 AM »
I think my Bro in law went to port city as well, He said the old chief in regards to OC said dont be THAT guy.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »
I took my class at Port City also. Was told the same thing about OC. Cops will be called, blah blah blah. If it was the same LEO that was at my class it was Rodger Doctor. He is a retired chief from Ottawa Co. Old guy, on the larger size? I did mine in April.  FYI, the gun board meets on the third Tuesday of the month. I put my application in on the third Monday, got a post card in the mail the next week on Tuesday or Wednesday to pick up my CPL on Friday at the county building.

Yes that would be him.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
I think my Bro in law went to port city as well, He said the old chief in regards to OC said dont be THAT guy.
For getting the paper so you can file I think this class was a good deal, it's $50 cheaper then the Silver Bullet and they supply the gun and ammo.
I did not make a fuss and maybe I should have but really, it is a "concealed carry class". I think it's up to us as the gun owner and carrier to KNOW and UNDERSTAND the laws and not just run with what one or 3 people can tell you in a few hours.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 10:15:47 AM »
I agree with you the goal was the license, however if they are wrong about the laws on this and let their opinions cloud what they say, what else are they missing? I agree with what you did

Offline lljj

• MOC Member
  • Peter had a sword I have a 45 be blessed
  • First Name (Displayed): jacob
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »
I had my class at my house and we went to Peters Indoor Range & Gun Shop for the shooting part  the instructor NRA certified C.M.Novess 3rd from Executive Firearm Training  the whole class went good I loved the way he always used when you shoot somebody that's paper work and if you can avoid shooting somebody no paper work
open carrying for life can't steal my freedom

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 08:02:06 PM »
For getting the paper so you can file I think this class was a good deal, it's $50 cheaper then the Silver Bullet and they supply the gun and ammo.
In general I actually agree with you simply because you are knowledgeable and savvy enough to search out the answers to self defense situations and the laws for yourself.  You already know about valuable resources such as MOC and MGO and use them, and how to look up MCL (Michigan Complied Law) and read it for yourself.

On the other hand, if you were more sheeple-like and learned nothing beyond what the CPL class taught, you'd do yourself a disservice not to get the best class without regard to cost.

You are already miles ahead of most of the 340,000 CPL holders.  If you could have afforded it, the extra $50 would have been worth it, though.  In the larger picture, $50 over time isn't that much, especially when talking about something like carrying a firearm and self-defense.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 06:33:55 AM »
But then again, I figured I saved $50 on the class and about $40 on the ammo and did not have to add more wear to my pistol. I highly doubt the other class would have taught me anything I don't already know.
I'm a little OCD really. When I get into something, no matter what it is I research the hell out of it. Until I know everything I can about it. This drives my wife crazy though. lol

Offline Eliteedge_7

• True Elite Motorsports Club
  • First Name (Displayed): Justin
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »
I too took my CPL at Port City pistol. it is the best priced class around, I live 45 min. from there and travel was worth the experience. I got into a "discussion" with the former chief of police of Norton Shores as well and that was the least enjoyable experience of the class. my class was over 2 years ago when this stuff was still not well known around the City of Muskigon. After the class I have sent every legal update that deals with open carry both via email and through the mail hoping to change the class's outlook on open carry.thee are good guys, they just push there own opinions too much. I Shop there frequently and they have never cared about me open carrying in the store, although Garry's guns across town has a very negative view on open carry( well 2 years ago when I talked to them about it), but awesome prices on handguns.

Offline welshj

• First Name (Displayed): Joel
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 03:53:32 AM »
I spent six years stationed at ft hood in texas.

Actually-
yes, open carry of a handgun/pistol is illegal in texas.
Open carry of a long gun is a legal activity in texas.
Carry of a shotgun in vehicle, on person, loaded or empty was legal at the time I left.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 09:48:18 AM »