Author Topic: Drop Leg Holster/Condition to carry your gun in  (Read 2053 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Drop Leg Holster/Condition to carry your gun in
« on: December 02, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »
A message received this morning:

Hey just had a few quick questions on open carry , Can i have a drop leg holsters or does it need to be on my hip also can my gun be cocked and loaded when I open carry and the police question me what section of the Michigan constitution do I refer to when i tell them its my right thank your for your time
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• MOC Moderator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Drop Leg Holster/Condition to carry your gun in
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »
Q. Can i have a drop leg holsters or does it need to be on my hip

A. Yes, you may use a drop leg holster.  Any type of exposed holstered carry--hip, drop leg, shoulder--is classified as open (not concealed) and is legal (provided you don't carry in certain areas we call PFZ (pistol free zones) without holding a CPL.  If you have a CPL, you may also conceal or partially conceal without worry.

Q. can my gun be cocked and loaded when I open carry

A. Yes.

Q. the police question me what section of the Michigan constitution do I refer to when i tell them its my right

A. The Michigan Constitution states:
ยง 6 Bearing of arms.
Sec. 6. Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

As far as Michigan Compiled Laws (MCL) there is no law that makes open carry illegal.  Thus by default it is legal.