Author Topic: Dang it, I thought I had it figgured out  (Read 6551 times)

Offline fsr402

Dang it, I thought I had it figgured out
« on: December 04, 2012, 09:09:07 PM »
When I decided that I was going to start carrying a sidearm I went and started looking at some 40s&w pistols. Up until now the only pistols I have is a Helwan  9mm (cheap copy cat of a Beretta 92) and my hand cannon a Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull. Neither one do I want to carry.
Anyways, I had checked out 4 different guns and I really liked the XD-40 and that's what I have been planning on getting (just filed for my CPL).
My wife was working late so I had some time to kill tonight. Ran over to the Silver Bullet to do some window shopping and compare prices.
Sure enough their XD-40's are $50 more then Port City wanted and then I started looking at the XDM-40. Like the grip better then the XD but not enough to spend the extra $100 on it really.
I walked away from the counter a bit torn on going with the XD in a 4 inch or the 3 inch or maybe spending the extra and go for the XDM in 3.8 inch.
I wandered around a bit looking at other guns.
I love the looks of the Sigs but not the price tags. Then I seen a Sig that had this great looking slide, black with a grey etching to look like diamond plate. Had them pull it out for me. It felt fantastic and I LOVE the look. But, it's only offered in 9mm. :-(
The Sig is a SP2022 and it can be had in 40s&w but not with that slide. The 40's are just black. Really like that slide.
So now it seems I'm back to square one. Do I get the XD-40 for $469 the XDM-40 for $540 or the SP2022 (9mm) for $559?
The XD is the better price and comes with extras that the Sig does not. Holsters seem a bit easier to find for the XD also. But did I tell you how much I like that slide?
Wow I can't believe how much harder this is then I thought it was going to be.
Do I get the 9mm and enjoy that for now and pick up the 40 later on or get the 40 now and get the 9mm later on?

Someone needs to slap me and get me back on track.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Dang it, I thought I had it figgured out
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:24:41 PM »
When I decided that I was going to start carrying a sidearm I went and started looking at some 40s&w pistols. Up until now the only pistols I have is a Helwan  9mm (cheap copy cat of a Beretta 92) and my hand cannon a Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull. Neither one do I want to carry.
Anyways, I had checked out 4 different guns and I really liked the XD-40 and that's what I have been planning on getting (just filed for my CPL).
My wife was working late so I had some time to kill tonight. Ran over to the Silver Bullet to do some window shopping and compare prices.
Sure enough their XD-40's are $50 more then Port City wanted and then I started looking at the XDM-40. Like the grip better then the XD but not enough to spend the extra $100 on it really.
I walked away from the counter a bit torn on going with the XD in a 4 inch or the 3 inch or maybe spending the extra and go for the XDM in 3.8 inch.
I wandered around a bit looking at other guns.
I love the looks of the Sigs but not the price tags. Then I seen a Sig that had this great looking slide, black with a grey etching to look like diamond plate. Had them pull it out for me. It felt fantastic and I LOVE the look. But, it's only offered in 9mm. :-(
The Sig is a SP2022 and it can be had in 40s&w but not with that slide. The 40's are just black. Really like that slide.
So now it seems I'm back to square one. Do I get the XD-40 for $469 the XDM-40 for $540 or the SP2022 (9mm) for $559?
The XD is the better price and comes with extras that the Sig does not. Holsters seem a bit easier to find for the XD also. But did I tell you how much I like that slide?
Wow I can't believe how much harder this is then I thought it was going to be.
Do I get the 9mm and enjoy that for now and pick up the 40 later on or get the 40 now and get the 9mm later on?

Someone needs to slap me and get me back on track.

Get an HK. And forget about the .40S&W. Go for the (mm or .45ACP. Much greated ammunition configurations to choose from in either of those calibers than the .40S&W. There are standard P, +P, and +p+. There is no such thing in .40S&W.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »
Someone in Michigan had an AD with an XD.  I hear the "problem" was fixed in the XD(m)....
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline fsr402

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:41:53 PM »
My reasoning for the 40 in the first place was the ballistics and power of the 40 are basically that of the 45 but cheaper to shoot. I'm leery of getting a gun that's going to cost me a lot to shoot. That's why my 454 has had less then 200 rounds thru it (I got it the first year it was offered) and  it cost me $1.50 to $3 per pull.
Anyone here have an opinion on the SP2022 9mm?

Offline fsr402

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:44:04 PM »
Someone in Michigan had an AD with an XD.  I hear the "problem" was fixed in the XD(m)....
Not heard of that. Can't see how you could with that double safety system. But then again any idiot could have an AD if they are not paying attention.
I'll look around and see if I can find something on it.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 10:01:17 PM »
Not heard of that. Can't see how you could with that double safety system. But then again any idiot could have an AD if they are not paying attention.
I'll look around and see if I can find something on it.

The gun was sent to Springfield and Springfield admitted it was the gun's fault and not the person.  autosurgeon has more details of this incident (he was there).

Offline fsr402

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
Ok I looked around and I did find some info on XD's having AD issues and no one can say why it did nor were they able to duplicate it.
I think that just made up my mind.
Spend a little more, get the SP2022 in 9mm and then in a few months (like after I have to pay taxes) pick up a 40 or 45. Once the CPL comes it will be a lot easier. Could hit some gun shows and see what I find.

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll head back there this week and put it on lay-a-way.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 10:14:54 PM »
FWIW, my EDC (every day carry) is an XDm -- full sized.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:37:55 PM »
full sized as in the 4.5 or 5.25?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 11:30:51 PM »
If you're like most people, you will end up with more than one good pistol, so buy the one you like now and next year go buy the other one.  Don't tear yourself up too bad over the decision now knowing you will eventually own both.

And you're going to want to shoot a gun a while to see how you really like it anyway.

Offline METL

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »
You better hurry up...   you already missed the XD-40 they had for this price...

Sig Sauer SP2022 .40 S&W E2022-40-B    $349.00
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/sig-sauer-2022-40cal.html

Also, here:     http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/handguns/springfield-armory/springfield-armory-xd-40-sc.html

Offline fsr402

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 08:38:49 PM »
After doing a bunch of looking around I was not able to find this SP2022 anywhere else. They were all listed as out of stock. So I went back today and put her on layaway. Will get it in a week or two or earlier if I can't seem to wait. lol

Offline lljj

• MOC Member
  • Peter had a sword I have a 45 be blessed
  • First Name (Displayed): jacob
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 10:32:30 PM »
nice
open carrying for life can't steal my freedom

Offline bigbob

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 09:26:50 AM »
I know it sounds like common sence but when i was shopping around for my last handgun, I too ran into the "should i spend the extra $100" debate. A friend of mine pointed that 100$ could easily be spent in two trips to the shooting range. In the big picture it isnt that much ya know. Hope it reaffirms your choice. Another thing, down by me, some shops are quite a bit more pricey than others on guns but they offer a free short term membership to the range. To some that may justify the price tag. Just something to check on. Hope you enjoy you new gun. Sig makes a fine sidearm!