Author Topic: License To Purchase Pistol Questions  (Read 7162 times)

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
License To Purchase Pistol Questions
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »
I live in Vicksburg and we have our own police, so as I understood what I read online, I have to go to them to get a License to Purchase a Pistol.

I am off work today, so went by the Village Hall and asked to get a License to Purchase. I was told I had to go to the sheriff's office to do that because they don't have Live Scan. I had not heard the term and was informed that it was for fingerprinting. I am not finding anything online that I have to get fingerprinted just to get a license to purchase. I know that a CPL requires this. If it is the law, then ok, I just had not found it yet.

My understanding is that they give me the test and do a background check.

If fingerprinting is required, where is that in the law? I just want to understand it and be prepared.

How many licenses to purchase can one obtain at one time? As I read it, one license to purchase is needed for each pistol and not one transaction for multiple pistols.

If I had known about having to go to the sheriff to do this, I would have organized my day off differently.

I just want to make sure I am not getting the runaround on this and that fingerprinting is part of it.

Thanks!

~ Larry
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline FASBOLD

Re: License To Purchase Pistol Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:25:38 PM »
I tried calling the state police information and was directed to the firearms records, but they are at a meeting and not in until tomorrow.

I called my local state police office headquarters, and they are just administration, so there are no troopers available, so they directed me to the Paw Paw office.

I spoke to state trooper Hamilton, and he clarified that fingerprints are not required for a license to purchase, but that most local police have deferred to the county, since they have to send information off to the county as part of the process.

He said one license to purchase = one firearm, since only room for one serial number. He did not see why a person could not get more than one license at a time, but he never bought more than one pistol at a time anyway. I can't afford more than one, but if I found a really good deal, it would be nice to take advantage of it.

So I think I found all the answers I needed.

I will post more if I learn differently once I get a license to purchase.

~ Larry
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:45:55 PM »
No fingerprints are required by law.  And you can get as many purchase permits as you want, there is no restriction on them.  Back before I had a CPL I never got more than two at a time, but you can get five if you want.  Sometimes people get several before a large gun show just in case they find some great deals. 

Offline FASBOLD

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »
Thanks, gryphon, that's kind of what I figured.

I should also point out, that I did not speak to an LEO, but one of the clerks, who went back to speak to an officer, and then a different clerk came back to me. She was not familiar with the difference between applying for a CPL and a license to purchase.

She did call the sheriff to confirm that I had to go there, but she got into the fingerprint issue.

He ignorance and trying to explain things, just muddied the waters, thus my post.

Obviously, they don't get enough people stopping by to ask, so they don't have a good canned response ready.

~ Larry
~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown

Offline FASBOLD

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 06:34:46 PM »
Made it to the sheriff's office. No issues at all. I got 100% on the test.

The clerk asked how many licenses I wanted and explained how to fill out and return, etc.

She was pleasant and very helpful.

Now to wait and see if there are any good deals at the gun show this weekend.

~ Larry
~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:07:45 PM »
Now to wait and see if there are any good deals at the gun show this weekend.
Probably not, but you can always hope!   :)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
Glad you got the matter resolved and quickly.  "Quickly" seems to be a problem for some local governments!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »
I got 100% on the test.

I would hope so ;)

happy to hear you got it all straightened out. if HB5225 is signed there will be no more test

Offline fsr402

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »
I would hope so ;)

happy to hear you got it all straightened out. if HB5225 is signed there will be no more test

I went down yesterday to get a permit and there were two LEO's in front of me getting some also. One of them got two wrong.. LOL
The lady told him that there is one other guy in his division that always gets one wrong.

Offline FASBOLD

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »
I made it to the Kalamazoo gun show today and bought a used Taurus PT-99. I was thinking that there was a waiting period on handguns for some reason, but walked out with a pistol, ammunition and other accoutrements.

I had hoped to get over to Freedom Firearms in Battle Creek to shoot, but they were packed and I had to leave to make it to the Paw Paw meet up. I plan to go back tomorrow.

Now I just have to put a stamp on the envelope to send back the two stubs for the county and state, and I'm done.

The clerk in the records office notarized the documents for me and there was no charge. (I just realized I had not looked that closely at it.) Now that I know the drill, getting future licenses until I get my CPL, will be a breeze.
~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 01:13:46 AM »
I made it to the Kalamazoo gun show today and bought a used Taurus PT-99. I was thinking that there was a waiting period on handguns for some reason, but walked out with a pistol, ammunition and other accoutrements.

I had hoped to get over to Freedom Firearms in Battle Creek to shoot, but they were packed and I had to leave to make it to the Paw Paw meet up. I plan to go back tomorrow.

Now I just have to put a stamp on the envelope to send back the two stubs for the county and state, and I'm done.

The clerk in the records office notarized the documents for me and there was no charge. (I just realized I had not looked that closely at it.) Now that I know the drill, getting future licenses until I get my CPL, will be a breeze.

Congrats on your first purchase.

Here's a few things you should do before you OC:

1. Make sure you know gun laws in and out.  If you don't have a CPL it can be VERY easy to get caught up in a way that could cause you to lose your gun rights for a very long time.  You can start by reading here: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,25.0.html
2. Make sure you have a quality, active retention holster.  A retention holster is one that requires you do some action (undo a snap, push a button, pull a lever) before the gun comes out.  Look into the SafariaLand ALS and see if they make one for your gun.
3. Practice (with your empty gun - empty chamber too!) drawing from your holster to make sure you can deploy it quickly and reliably.  This can be done in your home, if you understand the basics of firearm safety.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline FASBOLD

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 08:06:18 AM »
Q, Thanks for the links.

I have been to a MOC seminar and read on open carry some before and after that. I got some clarifications and tips on how to avoid accidental concealed carry at the Paw Paw meet up, such as going from transport mode in a car to open carry. That is, take the gun to and from transport mode with case on the trunk. I did a boo-boo and leaned into the trunk, so I will avoid that one.

I plan to carry while walking the dog around town. I stick to the sidewalks, so should not be an issue there. I will avoid walking through the parking lot of the grocery store shortcut, since they sell alcohol. I also won't stop in at Speedway, where I can tie the dog outside. I have to adjust my habits until I get a CPL.

I bought two different holsters at the gun show. I also got a heavy leather belt. One is hard plastic  with a belt "loop", the other is fabric with a velcro strap and a belt clip. I am trying them out at different times to see how I like them. I do know that the hard plastic one digs into my side when I sit in my car, if I don't sit just right. (Yes, the holster was empty, so no conceal carry.)

The soft one provides more comfort when sitting, but it moves in ways the hard one doesn't.

Trust me, I am very cautious with the gun, for open carry, and general handling. Until I am fully comfortable with my pistol, I am not carrying one in the chamber. Once I get in some range time and tear down to clean it a few times, I will move to that step. My caution is more about avoiding accidental discharge. If I shoot myself, it defeats the purpose of carrying.  :D

I also don't go to the bad parts of a city and look for trouble, which greatly reduces the need for a gun. Avoidance and walking away are good ways to live a long life. But there are too many unpredictable people and situations in the world, so I have been convinced of the need for a pistol for several years. However, finances have been an issue until now.
~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »
A local police supply store is a good place to purchase Safariland holsters, although since the Taurus is not a common police weapon they probably won't have one for your model.  I purchased my last Safariland from OpticsPlanet.  They have discounted prices and fast (sometimes free) shipping.

Go to safariland.com and find the model you want, then go to OpticsPlanet or another store (cheaperthandirt, etc.) and see if they carry that model.  A good holster purchased online is not that much more expensive than a cheap holster, but way better.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
License To Purchase Pistol Questions
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »
The pt99 is another 9mm version of the pt92 which is a copy of the beretta 92 it should fit in any holster the beretta fits in.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Raggs

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »
The pt99 is another 9mm version of the pt92 which is a copy of the beretta 92 it should fit in any holster the beretta fits in.

almost true, wont fit a Serpa for the Beretta though the trigger guards are different.

Offline FASBOLD

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »
Safariland.com walks you through by asking for your Make and Model of pistol, then shows you a list of holsters that should work.

I think there were about 20 that it showed me. Those holsters are a bit more than I expected, but the idea is control of your gun and safety, so I can deal with it. It will be on my after Christmas list.

Are there any local police supply stores, or other gun stores in the south west part of the state that would have them so I could try before I buy? I like to buy local when I can to have at least part of the money go to a business in the state. I try to at least buy one thing from every gun store I visit.

~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 10:42:05 AM »
As far as I know, On Target on west main and 9th st In Oshtemo or Freedom Firearms in B.C. Maybe we can meet up (again) your 99 should fit in my holster that I got from Optics Planet.

Tom

Offline FASBOLD

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 10:55:28 AM »
Tom,

That would be great.

I work in Kalamazoo off 131 & West Main, so On Target is maybe a mile away. I have never been in there when they were not busy. I stopped in and got an extra magazine for my gun on Saturday and they were packed.

I'll try to check out their holsters over lunch, we had a bunch of calls come in, so not sure when lunch will be yet....
~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown