Author Topic: Non-resident open carry  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Aviationrich26

• First Name (Displayed): Richard
Non-resident open carry
« on: December 11, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »
I lived in Michigan my whole life up until 3 years ago when I moved to texas. I was always into guns but never had one until I moved here. I've had my concealed handgun permit in texas for over a year now. I'm going to visit family next week and wanted to know if I could open carry while I was there? I'll be in the downriver area (Lincoln park, wood haven, river view). Texas sadly doesn't have open carry yet, hopefully this is the year. I've tried looking this question up but can't find anything. Thanks for the help

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Non-resident open carry
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
I lived in Michigan my whole life up until 3 years ago when I moved to texas. I was always into guns but never had one until I moved here. I've had my concealed handgun permit in texas for over a year now. I'm going to visit family next week and wanted to know if I could open carry while I was there? I'll be in the downriver area (Lincoln park, wood haven, river view). Texas sadly doesn't have open carry yet, hopefully this is the year. I've tried looking this question up but can't find anything. Thanks for the help

If you have a Texas concealment permit and you are indeed a resident of Texas you are good to go.  If you conceal, be sure to have your permit and Texas Driver's License on your person at all times.

Michigan law requires if you are "stopped" by a peace officer (in car or on foot -- non-voluntary detainment) and you are carrying concealed (which you are carrying concealed if you're in a car at all -- well, technically not but close enough for our purposes) you must immediately disclose (like the first things you say when you determined you are being detained) that you are licensed to carry a concealed pistol and that you are indeed carrying.  If the officer asks to see your permit and driver's license you must show him both, if you are carrying concealed.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Aviationrich26

• First Name (Displayed): Richard
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:59:53 PM »
Would I have to show ID if I'm open carrying? Chances are ill have a coat on, warm texas winters have spoiled me, it's more for if I'm out with friends dining or something. Since this would be my first open carry experience, is there anything I should know or watch out for?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Non-resident open carry
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 04:24:49 PM »
No requirement to show ID if you are openly carrying on foot. Should you? Only you can answer that.

You should also read the stickies in this sub-forum.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »
Would I have to show ID if I'm open carrying? Chances are ill have a coat on, warm texas winters have spoiled me, it's more for if I'm out with friends dining or something. Since this would be my first open carry experience, is there anything I should know or watch out for?

If your coat covers your firearm, its considered concealed.