Author Topic: CT school shooting...Does it seem like there are a lot of shootings as of late?  (Read 13332 times)

Offline wayne

What terrible news of this school shooting in CT:  http://abcn.ws/QYDeWM  I think even though almost every one of these turns out to be someone with illegally acquired weapons, it still makes it more difficult for those of us who are law abiding to protect our freedoms.  Potentially two shooters on this one will be something quite out of the ordinary if it turns out to be the case.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Has SB59 been signed yet?

Offline METL

I'm sick to my stomach.  Seriously.  This is such tragic news being someone with that aged kids.

I wouldn't be surprised if SB59 is toast now... even though this is MORE of a reason to have it pass.

Offline .40 Cal

• MOC Member
  • Flat Rock, Michigan
  • First Name (Displayed): John
I sent Snyder a message this morning all but begging him to allow me the ability to protect my kids. I pray he signs SB 59!

Back on topic.. I pray for all the innocents that have been lost today. This is beyond tragic.  :'(
I carry a firearm because their are real threats in the world and when seconds count; the Police are minutes away!

Offline wayne

It is probably a time to try to set politics aside for a moment, but the thought has crossed my mind that the Gov might veto SB59 with this much publicity.  I pray that he will do the right thing and give us all the power to protect our children and innocent life.

Kind of a side story to this all, some fruitcake in China just proved you don't need a gun to do these terrible acts:  http://www.ibtimes.com/school-stabbing-china-focuses-attention-inadequate-mental-health-care-938335

Offline Rustykeys

I too wrote the Governor pleading with him to sign the bill despite the circumstances in Connecticut this morning.
“We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.”

– Benjamin Franklin

A right not exercised is a right lost.

Offline METL

What do they not understand about "GFZ" not doing ANYTHING but ensuring no one can defend themselves or others.

SICKENING!!!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
James Yeager, firearms instructor and owner of Tactical Response, advises carrying your gun in schools and at work, even if it is illegal or gets you fired.  Language warning.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
All,

This isn't the time to be discussing politics.  Anti-gun people do such things.  This is a time for mourning and sympathy for the families of those involved.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Q, I disagree.  News events have bearing on laws.  Witness the Dunblane Massacre, et al.  It's possible today's horrific shooting might have an effect on Snyder signing a bill he actually wanted.  Ironically enough, if he doesn't sign he'll be left with something he doesn't want.

You can bet all the Michigan news programs will be mentioning that SB59 is sitting on the governor's desk, waiting for his signature.  I've already seen one news program today talk about it during their CT school shooting story.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
I think if we (as gun owners) sit back and dont speak up about our right to bear arms during tragedies like this then we will let the tragedies dictate our gun rights.  It will be too easy form our politicians to jump on any anti gun band wagon after something like this and even more so if the good law abiding people arent standing up and saying "dont take away our rights"

We (as law abiding gun owners) need to let our legislators and our governor know that this is the reason why PFZ's need to be eliminated, because if there was just one law abiding citizen present and legally carrying this may have turned out different.

I dont agree that this isnt a time to share our thoughts and prayers but its also not the time for us to sit back while our rights are allowed to be infringed upon because of the fear mongering after a tragedy.  Other wise the fear mongering wins.

Offline Rustykeys

What the anti-gunners fail to realize is it is the 2nd amendment, the right to bear arms which protects our rights of all the Bill of Rights. Without the 2nd amendment you would lose your right to free speech, illegal search and seizure, the right to not incriminate yourself under the 5th, right to a speedy trial, right by trial by jury, excessive bail and cruel punishment, and States Rights. If we lose the 2nd amendment we lose all our rights.
“We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.”

– Benjamin Franklin

A right not exercised is a right lost.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Steve Dulan and John Lott just did their best to defend us against Pierce Morgan and two other anti-gunners.  It's too bad Steve didn't get to talk more.

John is well....he writes good books :)

Offline wayne

Thanks for that video gryphon, that was AWESOME!

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
People don't just wake up one morning and decide to go into these places and commit mass murder.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline .40 Cal

• MOC Member
  • Flat Rock, Michigan
  • First Name (Displayed): John
Steve Dulan and John Lott just did their best to defend us against Pierce Morgan and two other anti-gunners.  It's too bad Steve didn't get to talk more.

John is well....he writes good books :)

That was enough to make me Vomit! Piers is a class A knucklehead who is beyond rude to anyone who does not share his point of view; even going as far as to tell John that he needed to change his way of thinking...

Disgusting!
I carry a firearm because their are real threats in the world and when seconds count; the Police are minutes away!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
A guy out drinking with some buddies got into an argument with them and threatened to kill himself. When the guy got home he argued with his wife then left home saying he was going to kill himself by crashing his car. 30 minutes later, going the wrong way on an interstate he crashed head on into a school bus killing himself and 27 on the bus.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrollton,_Kentucky_bus_collision

This type of mass murder happens somewhere in the U.S. everyday but we never hear about them. If we were to know of all these mass murders, without a doubt they would number 10's of times more than the mass murders by firearms. These aren't auto accidents, they are intentional murders and not a care is raised.

More?

A few years back a family from town went to church on Saturday evening then out to a nice dinner. On their way home after dinner their car was hit head on killing the mother and father, their daughter age seven, and son age nine. The guy that hit them left behind a suicide note telling what he was going to do.

Just a month or so ago a nineteen year old girl who had broken up with her boy friend sent a friend a text message that she was going to crash her car and kill herself, she was on the phone with her boyfriend telling him the same thing when she swerved her car into the opposite lane hitting a mini van killing four of the six occupants. She survived.

That first incident alone killed as many people as the CT school shooting.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:38:58 AM by gryphon »

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
........Piers is a class A knucklehead who is beyond rude to anyone who does not share his point of view........
Same tactic oreilly uses. It is common to those who do not use reason.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
CT school shooting...Does it seem like there are a lot of shootings as of late?
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 02:23:16 AM »
Same tactic oreilly uses. It is common to those who do not use reason.

+1. Same tactic, different views.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
Here's a news article about the town's response to it all. Kind of a mixed bag, but it is a fairly balanced article.

http://news.yahoo.com/newtown-anguished-debate-over-gun-rights-controls-133214146.html
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown