Author Topic: I.D Required  (Read 3850 times)

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
I.D Required
« on: December 15, 2012, 06:42:59 PM »
  I was just at the Flint Gander mountain where I recognized a grey tee shirt that M.O.C. sells. The Gentleman wearing this shirt was O.C.ing and was in conversation with three people. As I walked by I heard the Phrase "Michigan is not a Show me state".
   I decided I wanted a to see where this was going so I started browsing around in the general area to ease drop. The guy sitting down that said that phrase to the M.O.C. Guy, was the same guy that then said "This is were the conundrum falls into play, if a cop ask me for I.D. without reasonable suspicion I can say no, but at the same time the Cop has a right to see if I am a Felon." The M.O.C. guy replied with a Yes head nod...WTH When did a cop get the right to check anybody anytime to see if their a Felon.
  This is news to me. Can some one clarify while I research this more. If this is true I wanna see the MCL, and if it ain't we need to do a better job at our Seminars.  :o
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: I.D Required
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
  I was just at the Flint Gander mountain where I recognized a grey tee shirt that M.O.C. sells. The Gentleman wearing this shirt was O.C.ing and was in conversation with three people. As I walked by I heard the Phrase "Michigan is not a Show me state".
   I decided I wanted a to see where this was going so I started browsing around in the general area to ease drop. The guy sitting down that said that phrase to the M.O.C. Guy, was the same guy that then said "This is were the conundrum falls into play, if a cop ask me for I.D. without reasonable suspicion I can say no, but at the same time the Cop has a right to see if I am a Felon." The M.O.C. guy replied with a Yes head nod...WTH When did a cop get the right to check anybody anytime to see if their a Felon.
  This is news to me. Can some one clarify while I research this more. If this is true I wanna see the MCL, and if it ain't we need to do a better job at our Seminars.  :o

No, no need to produce ID is required.  The topic is quite clearly covered in our OC seminars for at least 5 minutes.  Sadly, we can't control everything others say, how well they pay attention in our seminars, or even if they attend our seminars (maybe this guy never has).

Did you suggest this person attend a seminar in the future?  Maybe you exchanged contact information with him?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 08:10:32 AM »
  I did not introduce my self. I knew if I stopped and talked I'd be there longer than I planned. I'm sure I'll see him again, he looked to be a regular there at Gander Mtn. I already double checked and as I recall the Officer has to have some kind of PC just to get ID.
  Not the MOC guy, but the other guy made it very clear that if your OCing a cop has the right to Ask you for I.D. because it is against the law to carry a gun and have a Felony. The reason I bring this up is because in Jun when my Dad Died, I was confronted by a Deputy Sheriff who said the same thing. He seen me get out of a car  and asked me for ID. I refused (Respectfully) but he insisted that he must see a drivers license, and a Permit to carry, merely because he saw me get out of a car with a gun. He said that he can ask for ID because you have to have a CPL to be in a car with a loaded gun there for that is R.A.S.
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline fsr402

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »
It's my understanding that in that case (he seen you in the car with it) that he can ask for it.

I did not introduce my self. I knew if I stopped and talked I'd be there longer than I planned. I'm sure I'll see him again, he looked to be a regular there at Gander Mtn. I already double checked and as I recall the Officer has to have some kind of PC just to get ID.
  Not the MOC guy, but the other guy made it very clear that if your OCing a cop has the right to Ask you for I.D. because it is against the law to carry a gun and have a Felony. The reason I bring this up is because in Jun when my Dad Died, I was confronted by a Deputy Sheriff who said the same thing. He seen me get out of a car  and asked me for ID. I refused (Respectfully) but he insisted that he must see a drivers license, and a Permit to carry, merely because he saw me get out of a car with a gun. He said that he can ask for ID because you have to have a CPL to be in a car with a loaded gun there for that is R.A.S.

Offline grampajeep

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:55:05 AM »
That said, then they should ask anyone they see parking a car to produce a DL because it would be illegel for them to drive without a license. OOPS maybe I should not give them any ideas. :)

Gerry