Author Topic: 1st Time OC  (Read 3889 times)

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
1st Time OC
« on: December 15, 2012, 09:38:22 PM »
I attended the MOC Dinner in Paw Paw tonight and OC'd for the first time. I also just bought my first pistol at the Kalamazoo gun show today OCing at the restaurant had no issues, but I did notice a few patrons looking. I was amazed at how easy it was. I was expecting more emotions due to the newness of it. I did feel extra alert when I took my gun out and put it in my holster.

When I got home, I took the dog for a walk and OC'd. I only went far enough for her to take care of business, so only got a couple hundred yards from home. I crossed the drive to the grocery store and my right side was facing the car. If they paid attention they saw my gun.

When we got to the end of the grass were she usually finally does her business and turned around, another car was coming towards us, but this time, my left side was towards them. They turned the same way I was going, but did not appear to slow or look.

I then got back to my street and walked around the block to make sure she was done. Someone across the street from my block backed out of their driveway and started to move forward and then backed up and pulled back into their drive. I did not hear anything from them, so they must have forgotten something.

However, it is dark, my gun (Taurus PT-99) has a black finish, I have a black coat, and jeans that are not faded yet, and a black holster; so it is harder to see than it would be during the day. I was very cautious and kept pulling my coat down and making sure it was between me and my gun, without touching the gun.

I have had the police stop my oldest son in front of our house when he and his friends were standing in our front yard after dark. They gave him a hard time until he asked what was the big deal about standing in his own yard. They also drive past our block fairly frequently, so I expected to have one drive by while I was out with the dog.

I plan to go for a walk with the dog around town tomorrow before I go shoot my new gun for the first time.

I got a digital voice recorder that I can transfer to my PC, and had that with me, so if anything happens, I have some documentation.

I'll post how that goes.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline Raggs

Re: 1st Time OC
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:00:50 PM »
Congrats FASBOLD, It gets easier as you do it as well. How do you like the pt99? hows it shoot for you? I have one as well, I like it a lot.

Offline FASBOLD

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Raggs, I have heard good things about it, but I have not yet shot it.

I plan to shoot tomorrow afternoon.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:08:06 AM »
@OP
Congrats on the purchase of your first pistol and welcome.  Do you have a CPL?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline FASBOLD

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 07:37:52 AM »
I hope to sign up for a class this weekend, if it is not too late. Hopefully I will have it soon in the new year.
~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown