Author Topic: SB 59 Veto Thread  (Read 11881 times)

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
SB 59 Veto Thread
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:14:08 PM »
So MCRGO's FB page says the Gov. vetoed SB59. Anyone know if the legislature is going to try to override his veto instead of just rolling over and taking it in the rear? A last stand of defiance?

Offline bagz013

Re: SB 59 Veto Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:18:09 PM »
Have not heard anything yet but I bet the firearms groups across MI will be getting together and talking about that.

If it is going to happen, we need to ALL be on the same page and present a unified front.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »
How many votes are needed to overturn a veto?

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »
I believe 2/3.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator

Offline METL

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »
Ouch man... not even a pocket veto... but an IN YOUR FACE direct veto....

There will be no overturning the veto.  The legislature is concluded for the season.

This is quite a slap in the face.

I would ask that people now press the Gov. to ask exactly what he IS going to do to keep the children safe.....

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
I just watched the news and he is whineing about somebody getting shot in a college years ago and it might have been him. Somebody might want to inform this tool that murder was illegal then and now and if is pansy ass would have had a gun his buddy might still be alive.

Offline hubblejj

• First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 06:08:29 PM »
Well looks like it is back  to open carry in schools, I can not belive that old uncle Rick is so stupid.  That is what needs to be done, everyone needs to open carry there guns everyday when they bring their kids to school, a point needs to be made.
When the Government fears the people you have Freedom, When the people fear the Government you have Tyranny

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
I guess the legislature is out of session so there can be no veto.

I'd like some answers from our legislators as to why they waited until the end to pass this and therefore too late to override a veto?

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »
I guess the legislature is out of session so there can be no veto.

I'd like some answers from our legislators as to why they waited until the end to pass this and therefore too late to override a veto?

They save all the controversial stuff for the lame dick session.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 10:34:46 PM »
Not to start another debate but, who cares? We can still OC in PFZ's with no additional fee paid to the state in which they will squander... If they want to rid PFZ's great but not at the expense of OC. We gained nothing today but most importantly we did not lose anything either.

I say way to go to Mr. Green for not compromising even further with Snyder. I said it before, there is no room for compromise because they will never be happy.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »
we did not lose anything either.

How do you figure?  We lost elimination of the gun boards.  We lost shortened timelines with real teeth in it for abuse of the system.  We lost codified carry in PFZs.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 11:03:18 PM »
How do you figure?  We lost elimination of the gun boards.  We lost shortened timelines with real teeth in it for abuse of the system.  We lost codified carry in PFZs.

I was referring to carry. I don't see the advantage to codified carry in PFZ's as opposed to the lack of codified carry. I am just as comfortable taking an un-codified crap as I would be a codified one.

Sadly I also don't see what teeth we would have gained. When the shall-issue passed gun boards had 30 days to approve and issue or deny your application. Some of my students waited over 6 months. Calls to the state, reps, etc. did nothing. SOS takes 3-4 weeks to send my new DL, don't think any part of the Michigan government is willing to move faster.

Sure there would have been advantages, but when individual Birmingham police officers can get away with multiple felonies from the events earlier this year, I doubt any other state sub-division, sheriff's dept or otherwise will be held accountable to a timeline.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:30:33 PM by ken243 »
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 09:36:29 AM »
No doubt about it, he has OPEN CARRY in his cross hairs:

Dear RANDY DAVIS:

Thank you for your recent correspondence sent to my office. 

Senate Bill 59 offered a number of wise and necessary reforms to Michigan's weapon laws.  The bill provided for an enhanced Concealed Pistol License that would require additional training.  It would streamline the Concealed Pistol License process by eliminating county gun boards and vesting issuing authority with the sheriff.

More important, SB 59 looked at a feature of Michigan law that needs fixing - Michigan's open carry law.  The law currently prohibits a concealed pistol license holder from carrying a concealed weapon in a "pistol-free zone," which includes a school, a day care center, a sport stadium, a bar, a church, a hospital, an entertainment facility, and a college classroom or dormitory.  Ironically, current law does not prevent a concealed pistol license holder from openly carrying a pistol at these places.

My original hope with Senate Bill 59 was to reach a compromise by prohibiting the open carry of pistols in the above-mentioned pistol-free zones in exchange for lifting the prohibition on the carrying of concealed weapons in these zones -- subject to the approval of the public or private property owners.

The resulting bill only went part way in achieving that goal.  The bill would allow private property owners to prohibit a person from carrying a concealed pistol on their private property.  It permits certain universities and colleges to adopt an ordinance prohibiting the carrying of a concealed pistol.  Unfortunately, the bill did not allow public schools, day care centers, or public hospitals to prohibit persons from carrying concealed weapons on their premises.  For that reason, I have vetoed Senate Bill 59.

I believe it is important that these public institutions have clear legal authority to ban weapons from their premises: Each is entrusted with the care of a vulnerable population and should have the authority to determine whether its mission would be enhanced by the addition of concealed weapons.

This conversation is likely to continue over the coming months.  I hope you'll continue to share your comments and concerns with my office.

Sincerely,

Rick Snyder
Governor
I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »
Got the same thing.
With the same thought crossing my mind.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 10:26:49 AM »
Everytime I hear or read something from him it just pisses me off more. We need a protest, not like the unions on the steps of the capitol, but one that strikes home for him. Maybe a OC outing to a school play (where he might have family attending that school) or some other pfz that the One Term Nerd uses or cares about.

Offline bagz013

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 10:38:47 AM »
:barf:

I got about 2 lines into my email and decided it was time to file it away in my "Useless Lying Drivel" file in Outlook.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 10:40:11 AM »
My response, which will probably go nowhere:
The bill only went part way in achieving your goal? Sounds like someone unwilling to compromise.

Good luck finding someone to vote for you in the next election.

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »
he will probably have lots of people voting for him next time, i think they are called anti-gun'ers
I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »
Everytime I hear or read something from him it just pisses me off more. We need a protest, not like the unions on the steps of the capitol, but one that strikes home for him. Maybe a OC outing to a school play (where he might have family attending that school) or some other pfz that the One Term Nerd uses or cares about.

I disagree with this.  That is what the unions threatened to do to him, stalk him and his daughter at her school and soccer games, church, etc.  Although I understand your frustration, we do not want to be like this.  That is not who we are.