Author Topic: lack of accuracy in the news  (Read 6104 times)

Offline .40 Cal

• MOC Member
  • Flat Rock, Michigan
  • First Name (Displayed): John
lack of accuracy in the news
« on: December 19, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »
Fox 2 Detroit is driving me crazy with their obvious anti gun stance.

Roop Raj keeps reporting from some school in Birmingham this morning how Governor Snyder's veto keeps the schools Gun Free Zones saying that no one can carry there. When we all know it just keeps us from CC'ing there.

I guess they just totally ignore current law which I wont bother reciting as we all know it.

It's amazing to me that a news organization can have it so wrong and propagate absolute BS to the masses with you accountability whatsoever...

Gonna have to start OC'ing in PFZ's I think.
I carry a firearm because their are real threats in the world and when seconds count; the Police are minutes away!

Offline springfield40xdm

Re: lack of accuracy in the news
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 08:50:33 AM »
I agree, plus all the other news out there!  Some people just don't have a clue.  These PFZ's do no one any good!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline bagz013

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
Love how they pick BHam...the whitest most liberal area around Detoilet.

Roop Raj keeps reporting from some school in Birmingham this morning how Governor Snyder's veto keeps the schools Gun Free Zones saying that no one can carry there. When we all know it just keeps us from CC'ing there.

I guess they just totally ignore current law which I wont bother reciting as we all know it.

It's amazing to me that a news organization can have it so wrong and propagate absolute BS to the masses with you accountability whatsoever...

Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:01:13 AM »

Which law are they ignoring?

Offline .40 Cal

• MOC Member
  • Flat Rock, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 05:50:06 AM »
The one that states if you have a valid CPL you can open carry a firearm in a PFZ!
I carry a firearm because their are real threats in the world and when seconds count; the Police are minutes away!

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 10:12:17 AM »
The one that states if you have a valid CPL you can open carry a firearm in a PFZ!

Can you provide a MCL for that?

Offline .40 Cal

• MOC Member
  • Flat Rock, Michigan
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »
The best guide I can offer you on this is found in MSP Legal Update 86
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Read it carefully a couple of pages into it; it states that a person with a CPL can Open Carry in a Pistol Free Zone.

Of course you'll probably want to have a recorder and other such equipment with you just in case I'd imagine should you decide to do this. I imagine you'll be meeting with members of local law enforcement weather you want to or not with the Anti's fear running at a fever pitch.

Offline mpearce

• First Name (Displayed): Melissa
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:31:57 AM »

That statute does not say that you can open carry.  It says that you can possess if you have a valid license to carry issued by this state or any other state.  Be sure you are reading the statutes accurately.  However when you read 28.425o, you cannot conceal carry in certain PFZs, which means that your only method of legal possession is to open carry.
Posts on this forum are not intended to be specific legal advice to any particular person, rather merely replies to hypothetical questions posed.

Melissa M. Pearce
Attorney at Law
mpearce@melissapearcelaw.com
(248) 467-1930

Offline .40 Cal

• MOC Member
  • Flat Rock, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »
I knew someone with more understanding of the Law would bail me out.. Thanks Counselor Listen to her she's spot on!

I knew it could be done.. Just wasn't sure how to properly cite it. ;)

Offline fsr402

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 12:24:11 PM »
Over the holidays I had a chat with my little sister and I was explaining how this little loophole works.
The next day I seen her again and she informed me that she had called her best friend who is a K-6 grade school principle in MI.
He said that by their rules if ANYONE other the a LEO were to enter the school with a firearm (legally carried or not) he has to put the school into a lock down and call the police. After that he is then required to walk the halls and help any kids that are now locked out of the class rooms to a safe place. He's not really happy about having to walk the halls with a possible active shooter. lol But he's also not for arming the staff.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 12:55:59 PM »
I wonder how she would lock the school down during parent-teacher conferences.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 01:58:38 PM »
I wonder how she would lock the school down during parent-teacher conferences.

Part of me wants to carry into his school just to prove I can. But I know that it would just be problems for me and not them.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 03:30:53 PM »
If you do not have a student in the school I wouldn't.