Author Topic: Hello from Monroe  (Read 4706 times)

Offline The Repo Man

Hello from Monroe
« on: May 22, 2010, 11:53:12 PM »
You've got another fan in Monroe County!  My name is Chris an I'm a CPL holder in favor of OC.  I was speaking to someone just recently about OC'ing and they posed a decent concern to me; A person openly carrying a firearm would be the first target in an incident, robbery or ect...... Your thoughts?

Offline FatboyCykes

Re: Hello from Monroe
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:46:35 AM »
Oh....my....GOSH!!!!

They're right!  Shut it down boys, last one out turn out the light!

It's hogwash, and it's already been proven wrong in at least one account.

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d18-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw

May not be much in the way of overwhelming evidence, but it's the only example out there and nobody from the other camp has anything.

Offline TaxWhat

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:21:42 AM »
   25+ years in Monroe County lot of Dumb Government some really Great people go figure.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »
another person that wishes to keep the ability to suprise eh?(referring to whomever you spoke to)

look at wars,the defender very rarely suprises the enemy after an attack,they show they're ability to beat the aggressor before the attack,and often it was/is enough to scare the enemy away.

cops OC for the reason that it is a deterrent and offers a quicker,safer draw.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 01:38:27 PM »
Welcome to the God Given Right education site,from a guy who spent the first 29 years of his life in Monroe and 1 of those years in Carleton!You'll learn about our struggle to educate our fellow citizens of their Right to Life and the Defense of that Life,and the Defense of the Lives of our fellow citizens,according to the MI Constituution- Article 1 Sec. 6, " EVERY PERSON HAS the RIGHT to KEEP and BEAR ARMS for THE DEFENSE OF HIMSELF AND THE STATE(our fellow citizens)! God Bless! Jeff Haman.
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!

Offline Bronson

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 02:12:33 AM »
Here's an excerpt from something I wrote on the OCDO site detailing some of my reasons for OCing.

Tactical:  The research that I've read (http://www.nraila.org/issues/articles/read.aspx?id=117) says that a large majority of felons told the researchers that their #1 fear when committing a crime against another person was that the victim was armed.  They also told researchers that they would go for the soft target over the hard target even if the hard target would garner them a bigger take.  They would rather rob 30 little old ladies for $10 each than one muscle bound cage fighter for $300.

The OC of a firearm places the wearer squarely in the "hard target" category making them a less desirable target.

Many people say that they prefer CC because they want the "element of surprise", this just doesn't make sense to me.  Surprise is a great tactic for an offensive maneuver like an ambush but it is a lousy tactic for defending against one.  The very fact that you need to draw your weapon means that you are already smack-dab in the middle of a life and death situation....how does surprise help you at that point?  According to the NRA in the VAST majority of self-defense uses of a firearm the mere presence of the gun was enough to deter the attacker.  Logic tells me that the sooner the presence of the gun is known the sooner the attacker chooses to find another target.

This brings me to the OODA loop.  In any interaction (this is very simplified) we go through a series of steps these are Observe, Orient, Decide, and Act.  We first observe and take in all the information around us, we then orient to that information and run it through the filters of our experience, morals, ethics, desires, etc., we then decide what to do and then we do it.

When a criminal attacks you he is already four steps ahead of you.  He is in the Act phase of his OODA loop.  He has already observed you and found you to be a desirable target.  You on the other hand are on the first stage of your OODA loop as you observe the attack unfolding (hopefully).  CC of a firearm does absolutely nothing to affect the attackers OODA loop until you can rally your self to action....at least four steps behind your attacker.  OC of a firearm however provides the attacker with information during the initial Observe phase of his loop and that information is that you are most definitely a hard target.  It is my contention that CC of a firearm does NOTHING to prevent the attack from ever happening while the deterrent effect of OC convinces the majority of criminals to look elsewhere.

Now, onto the idea that if a criminal sees the openly carried firearm that they will choose you as a target and make their attack plans in order to steal your gun.  If I put a security system in my house with the window decals that say "protected by XYZ alarm systems" could a criminal interested in breaking into my house go on the internet and learn all about XYZ alarm systems and learn how to disarm them?  Sure.  Could that criminal get a job with XYZ alarm systems and then learn exactly what system I have so he could disarm it and rob me?  Sure he could.  But the chances are much higher that he will go down the street to find an easier target that doesn't have an alarm system.

Are there people who may target you for your gun?  Yes there are, but this is a numbers game and I feel the OC of a pistol will offer a deterrent to greater number of people than it will entice.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline spikedawg

• weidman michigan
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:03:18 PM »
Here's an excerpt from something I wrote on the OCDO site detailing some of my reasons for OCing.

Tactical:  The research that I've read (http://www.nraila.org/issues/articles/read.aspx?id=117) says that a large majority of felons told the researchers that their #1 fear when committing a crime against another person was that the victim was armed.  They also told researchers that they would go for the soft target over the hard target even if the hard target would garner them a bigger take.  They would rather rob 30 little old ladies for $10 each than one muscle bound cage fighter for $300.

The OC of a firearm places the wearer squarely in the "hard target" category making them a less desirable target.

Many people say that they prefer CC because they want the "element of surprise", this just doesn't make sense to me.  Surprise is a great tactic for an offensive maneuver like an ambush but it is a lousy tactic for defending against one.  The very fact that you need to draw your weapon means that you are already smack-dab in the middle of a life and death situation....how does surprise help you at that point?  According to the NRA in the VAST majority of self-defense uses of a firearm the mere presence of the gun was enough to deter the attacker.  Logic tells me that the sooner the presence of the gun is known the sooner the attacker chooses to find another target.

This brings me to the OODA loop.  In any interaction (this is very simplified) we go through a series of steps these are Observe, Orient, Decide, and Act.  We first observe and take in all the information around us, we then orient to that information and run it through the filters of our experience, morals, ethics, desires, etc., we then decide what to do and then we do it.

When a criminal attacks you he is already four steps ahead of you.  He is in the Act phase of his OODA loop.  He has already observed you and found you to be a desirable target.  You on the other hand are on the first stage of your OODA loop as you observe the attack unfolding (hopefully).  CC of a firearm does absolutely nothing to affect the attackers OODA loop until you can rally your self to action....at least four steps behind your attacker.  OC of a firearm however provides the attacker with information during the initial Observe phase of his loop and that information is that you are most definitely a hard target.  It is my contention that CC of a firearm does NOTHING to prevent the attack from ever happening while the deterrent effect of OC convinces the majority of criminals to look elsewhere.

Now, onto the idea that if a criminal sees the openly carried firearm that they will choose you as a target and make their attack plans in order to steal your gun.  If I put a security system in my house with the window decals that say "protected by XYZ alarm systems" could a criminal interested in breaking into my house go on the internet and learn all about XYZ alarm systems and learn how to disarm them?  Sure.  Could that criminal get a job with XYZ alarm systems and then learn exactly what system I have so he could disarm it and rob me?  Sure he could.  But the chances are much higher that he will go down the street to find an easier target that doesn't have an alarm system.

Are there people who may target you for your gun?  Yes there are, but this is a numbers game and I feel the OC of a pistol will offer a deterrent to greater number of people than it will entice.

Bronson
+1  makes perfect sence to me