Author Topic: Tennessee Considers Training And Arming Schoolteachers  (Read 4681 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Tennessee Considers Training And Arming Schoolteachers
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »
Tennessee Considers Training And Arming Schoolteachers To Protect Against Shootings

http://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-considers-training-arming-schoolteachers-protect-against-shootings-192556978--politics.html

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
Re: Tennessee Considers Training And Arming Schoolteachers
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »
Good article, too bad Snyder didn't read it earlier.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline mpearce

• First Name (Displayed): Melissa
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 11:12:28 PM »
Shared it on my Law page on Facebook. 
Posts on this forum are not intended to be specific legal advice to any particular person, rather merely replies to hypothetical questions posed.

Melissa M. Pearce
Attorney at Law
mpearce@melissapearcelaw.com
(248) 467-1930

Offline METL

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 03:16:10 PM »
Nope, this will just lead to a teacher shooting up their classroom...    ban guns!!!

Offline bagz013

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »
Nope, this will just lead to a teacher shooting up their classroom...    ban guns!!!

Better yet, ban guns AND ban teachers!!.....heck...BAN schools that way psycho gunman don't have anywhere else to take their guns.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 03:28:16 PM »
I think we should ban criminals.  Who's with me on this?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
I heard Perry in TX is doing similar...
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline mpearce

• First Name (Displayed): Melissa
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:34:12 AM »

Not if we mandate that teachers have to go to required training to defensive shooting practice techniques on a regular basis are graded on their performance.  In order to carry in the schools, they have to maintain a grade of B or better.
Posts on this forum are not intended to be specific legal advice to any particular person, rather merely replies to hypothetical questions posed.

Melissa M. Pearce
Attorney at Law
mpearce@melissapearcelaw.com
(248) 467-1930

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 09:01:24 AM »
Not if we mandate that teachers have to go to required training to defensive shooting practice techniques on a regular basis are graded on their performance.  In order to carry in the schools, they have to maintain a grade of B or better.

I don't think any teacher should be forced to carry or be trained as a condition of employment.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »
As a Teacher I think you just ask for volunteers and have them train with the local tactical response team several times a year. Certification IE qualification on a live fire course as well as a simulated attack on their school using airsoft or some such and you would have a pretty good deterrent force.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »
I think the model of the volunteers carry sidearms and have secured storage of rifles is strategic areas in the building makes sense. Your pistol is for fighting your way to your rifle ;)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »
Yep a weapons locker to retrieve the belt fed weapons from would be a good idea..... 8)
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline METL

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »

No, I'm talking about the teacher snapping and becoming the active shooter...    that's what all the anti's tell me anyways...     ::) :o