Author Topic: Looking at building an AR-15  (Read 4570 times)

Offline rampage537

• First Name (Displayed): Greg
Looking at building an AR-15
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
Looking at building an AR-15 and I noticed that there is a few caliber sizes 5.56, 6.5 and 7.62 maybe even more, thats all they have to offer where i am getting it from. I know that part of it is what the end user is comfortable shooting. What ammo would be easiest to get. Is there plus and minuses to the different calibers. I am searching the net also but wanted to get some opinions from here also.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:13:29 PM by rampage537 »
The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard, against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible. Hubert H. Humphrey, Senator, Vice President, 22 October 1959

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
Re: Looking at building an AR-15
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 10:19:41 PM »
I have AR's chambered in several different sizes. .223/5.56 is the most common. If you want inexpensive ammo that is readily available I would look at 5.45x39. I have one in this round it is the AK-74 round. Mag capacity is the same as the 5.56. Ballistics are about the same but ammo is a lot cheaper. I would recommend looking at building your AR. This will save you 40-50%. You could also just build a lower and buy a complete upper. Adams arms has a complete 5.45 upper. If you shop around and wait for some of the craziness to die down it can be had for $600 or so. I would also suggest looking hard a piston has systems. You should be able to do a high end build for around $1250 max. Buying a comparable rifle would run $1800+.

Hope this helps. I must say now is not the time to buy and build. Prices are inflated 100-300% right now because of hype. My advice is to wait till spring time when things get back to normal.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »
Seriously? You couldn't have picked a worse time. Good luck is all I would say. You will be hard pressed to purchase a built quality mil-spec ar-15 at this point for less then $3000.
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline rampage537

• First Name (Displayed): Greg
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:13:25 AM »
Well a very good friend of mine's brother owns http://usatf.us/ and said that I will get the family discount. I guess a well equipped AR would be around $700 I will be talking to my friend again in a day or two to confirm though.

I was just talking to my brother and he really dislikes the AR-15 saying they are unreliable, you look at them wrong and they jam etc... Now i have no experience with them, but I know a few people that love there's. I know the pistols that I have I love and swear by them but know little about any type of rifle. Google here i come.
The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard, against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible. Hubert H. Humphrey, Senator, Vice President, 22 October 1959

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Looking at building an AR-15
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 01:29:40 AM »
Go PS90 - 50 round mag.

I'm sure gryphon would have good things to say about the 5.7 round -- even if it's a pea shooter.

Star Gate SG-1 FTW!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 02:39:02 PM »
I was just talking to my brother and he really dislikes the AR-15 saying they are unreliable, you look at them wrong and they jam etc... Now i have no experience with them, but I know a few people that love there's. I know the pistols that I have I love and swear by them but know little about any type of rifle. Google here i come.

You get what you pay for...$700 platform you will probably get some feed problems. More over if your running junk ammo. That being said as I stated earlier I highly doubt you will be able to build a AR for less then $1500 at this time. Considering stripped lowers are selling for $200 and up. Good luck even finding a bolt carrier group. Your better off to buy a complete mil-spec platform now rather than deal with trying to find parts and ending up with a commercial grade frankenstien.
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 07:58:51 AM »

This is why I pointed you in the direction of the Adams Arms piston systems. They do not need tons of line like DI guns and are more reliable. As stated you get what you pay for. Piston systems in carbine length do not have the extractor or malfuction issues that DI guns do. You can google away researching this problem. They are also easier to clean and run cooler. Even right now you can build a piston gun for much less than buying one outright. As I said before, if you can wait till this madness dies down you will be better off or place a back order on the complete rifle of your choice.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.