Author Topic: Various OC Questions  (Read 2488 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Various OC Questions
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:14:12 AM »
This was in the SERegion mailbox this morning:

Without a CPL.  Can you carry concealed in your own backyard, front yard, driveway, mailbox or only inside your house?

What does someone who is open carrying do when they want to carry and are driving around to multiple places? 
For instance.  I leave my house OC I get to my vehicle.  I then remove my firearm (brandishing?) to put it into a case and in my trunk unloaded with the ammunition separate.  I drive to Target for a pair of pants.  I go back to my trunk, pull the gun out of the case (brandishing?), load it back up put it in my holster and go in?....

I would assume that would raise quite a few eyebrows and people would tend to assume you're about to commit some sort of crime.  I understand that making someone feel uncomfortable isn't a crime if they happen to see what you are doing but I want to know what to do in that situation.

So what would the procedure be for someone who wants to open carry without a CPL, who plans on driving to several different places in which he can legally carry?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jeff

Re: Various OC Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »
This was my question.

I signed up early this morning but the forum kept freezing on me and I was unable to ask it here. 

Thank you for copying my questions and posting it for me.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Various OC Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »
This from MCL 750.227 should answer part of your question:

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »
I do not have a CPL so I know exactly where you're coming from.  I carry everywhere I am legally allowed to carry and yes I do have to deal with the hassle of unloading it and putting it in my trunk then retrieving my pistol from my trunk when I reach my destination.  It can be a pain but I've got the process down to only a few seconds of my time so its a very quick process.  I've had some people walking or driving by as I'm holstering or unholstering to put in my trunk but I've yet to have any problems doing so.  Unfortunately not having a CPL puts you in an awkward situation where you have to handle your firearm outside of your vehicle and in plain sight, but to be law abiding you have no other choice.  For now though you're pretty much stuck with having to unload it and put it in your trunk, drive to where you're going, then retrieve the pistol from your trunk, load and holster it.  If anyone asks just tell them that Michigan law does not give you any other option and if you do not do it that way you would be breaking the law.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:44:15 AM »
Thank you for the replies.

I honestly do read and watch videos on the topics but I haven't gotten fully up to speed on all the laws and regulations yet.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Various OC Questions
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 01:07:16 AM »
Thank you for the replies.

I honestly do read and watch videos on the topics but I haven't gotten fully up to speed on all the laws and regulations yet.

Hang here, you'll learn more. Read through the OC Questions sub-forum. Pay special attention to the stickies.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »
A good place to start is attending an OC seminar, keep an eye on our events thread to see if we are having a seminar you can attend.  Lots of good information at the seminars.  Events page here: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/board,9.0.html

Offline Jeff

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 03:35:40 AM »
A good place to start is attending an OC seminar, keep an eye on our events thread to see if we are having a seminar you can attend.  Lots of good information at the seminars.  Events page here: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/board,9.0.html

Awesome, that COLSresteraunt event on the 19th is only 10 minutes from my house so I will make it a point to go.  It would likely be my first open carry experience as well.

Offline rampage537

• First Name (Displayed): Greg
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »
Awesome, that COLSresteraunt event on the 19th is only 10 minutes from my house so I will make it a point to go.  It would likely be my first open carry experience as well.

Its about 10 minutes from my house also. If you want to meeting up before that just let me know.
The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard, against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible. Hubert H. Humphrey, Senator, Vice President, 22 October 1959