Author Topic: Open Carry While Riding Motorcycle  (Read 6050 times)

Offline Zeteo

• First Name (Displayed): Al
Open Carry While Riding Motorcycle
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
Hey ~

I am a member on some motorcycling forums as well, as I'm a new rider and new Harley owner. I've been reading a bit about how to be safer/seen, etc. while out on the bike, and one of the worries I have is the idiot tailgator who doesn't realize (care) that what is normally a fender bender when tapping the car in front of you can be a serious/deadly interaction if you tap a motorcyclist because you are too stupid to allow a space cushion.

One of the preferred ways that I've read about is to open carry while riding. This seems to work according to a few riders postings I've read. I wonder if any of our MOC forum readers are motorcycle riders, and what their experiences with OC while riding have been like. Are you hassled more frequently by the cops? Pulled over for the little 2-5 mph over speed limit infractions, etc.? But most importantly, do you feel you are safer from the vehicles around you?

I do have my CPL, and I did OC while riding on Saturday (I know, it's cold outside, but hey, I gotta ride!), and I had a guy tailgate for a bit, then when I stopped for a light, I think he saw my .40 XD(m) on my hip, as he backed off after that.

Thanks!
 :)
No law ever prevented a crime.

Offline wayne

Re: Open Carry While Riding Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:02:05 PM »
I open carry my CZ-75 a lot while riding, but I'm not sure how visible it is to people directly behind me, I don't think they can see through my 8yr old daughter.  Anyway, yes, I feel a lot safer OC while riding through the low numbered streets of Saginaw.  I have had more than one car full of thugs pull up next to me at a light, spot the 9, then start waving and giving me big smiles.  I have never been pulled over on the bike OC or non OC and I have passed several cops and never had them give me a second look.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
There's a nice handful of members here that ride bikes, I'm not one of them, but come summer if you can make it to some of our picnics you'll be sure to see them.

Offline DetroitBiker

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 03:28:26 AM »
 Congrats on your new Bike

If you havent taken any riding coarses,I would highly recommend The Rider's Edge New Rider Course offered by Harley-Davidson at some local dealers,it helps you develop basic motorcycling skills and techniques for riding.

I usually open carry while I'm riding ,depending on where I'm going or what crowd I'm with.
 certain events or runs, I prefer to be more discrete, where there's certain  M/C's present ,I choose to carry concealed  8)
I haven't been hassled by Law enforcement while open carrying, but I try to keep my papers (insurance,registration) up to date,and readily accessible just in case.

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:26:33 AM »
Hey ~

I am a member on some motorcycling forums as well, as I'm a new rider and new Harley owner. I've been reading a bit about how to be safer/seen, etc. while out on the bike, and one of the worries I have is the idiot tailgator who doesn't realize (care) that what is normally a fender bender when tapping the car in front of you can be a serious/deadly interaction if you tap a motorcyclist because you are too stupid to allow a space cushion.

One of the preferred ways that I've read about is to open carry while riding. This seems to work according to a few riders postings I've read. I wonder if any of our MOC forum readers are motorcycle riders, and what their experiences with OC while riding have been like. Are you hassled more frequently by the cops? Pulled over for the little 2-5 mph over speed limit infractions, etc.? But most importantly, do you feel you are safer from the vehicles around you?

I do have my CPL, and I did OC while riding on Saturday (I know, it's cold outside, but hey, I gotta ride!), and I had a guy tailgate for a bit, then when I stopped for a light, I think he saw my .40 XD(m) on my hip, as he backed off after that.

Thanks!
 :)
I OC from early spring to late fall to date (4 seasons) I have had no issues.  I ride mostly with the Patriot Guard where we are around a lot of cops from all over SE Michigan and I have had ZERO issue on my bike.  Now I will say this, while performing my "Duties" as A Patriot Guard Member I do conceal out of respect for the family, BUT when not going to or from a Cemetery both my pistols are blowing in the wind!
I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!

Offline Zeteo

• First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:49:11 PM »
Congrats on your new Bike

If you havent taken any riding coarses,I would highly recommend The Rider's Edge New Rider Course offered by Harley-Davidson at some local dealers,it helps you develop basic motorcycling skills and techniques for riding.

I did take the Rider's Edge Course this past November, and I have to say, it was well worth it! Learned a lot in the 3 days I was there. I would recommend that course to anyone thinking about taking up motorcycling for sure!

I usually open carry while I'm riding ,depending on where I'm going or what crowd I'm with.
 certain events or runs, I prefer to be more discrete, where there's certain  M/C's present ,I choose to carry concealed  8)

I hadn't thought of the MC aspect of it. I'll have to keep that in mind if I'm participating in any events they may be present at. Thanks!

I haven't been hassled by Law enforcement while open carrying, but I try to keep my papers (insurance,registration) up to date,and readily accessible just in case.

That is one I definitely try to stay on top of. I have a little bag on the handlebars that I keep my paperwork in just in case!
No law ever prevented a crime.